Forum

Teamspeak high CPU usage

Dear Support,

I have Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70 Ghz and Teamspeak always takes about 20% of all cpu cycles even when I just sit idle, not connected to any server and even if the GUI is hidden and Teamspeak stays only in the tray. Needless to say, this is terrible for battery life, hardware heating up, noise and general performance of the machine.

Can you acknowledge the problem and provide solution?

Linux high cpu usage when echo cancellation is off, no playback and no recording

Dear Support,

Couple of facts:
    * Echo cancellation is off
    * Not connected to a server so nobody's recording and speaking
    * UI is hidden, scrolling toolbars disabled
    * Teamspeak causes CPU usage, draining battery and heating up the system

I have Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.70 Ghz and Teamspeak always takes about 20% of all cpu cycles even when I just sit idle, not connected to any server and even if the GUI is hidden and Teamspeak stays only in the tray. Needless to say, this is terrible for battery life, hardware heating up, noise and general performance of the machine.

Can you acknowledge the problem and provide solution?

I reported it here before: http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/1...high-CPU-usage

This was reported here and wrongly marked as NO BUG
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/9...606#post389606
    Last edited by dante696; June 9th, 2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: merged, this does not belong to bug section and it never did

Yes we are aware, that the client uses more or less CPU on different linux distributions with their different sound backends (PulseAudio, Alsa, etc.), with their different desktop environments (Unity, Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, etc) and all their different drivers.
    We have no universal soloution for all these different linux distributions. It's hard to investigate into all of this ;(

Which OS and version do you use? Which sound system and which desktop environment is in use?
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

I am using openSUSE Tumbleweed, before that openSUSE Leap, 13.2 and so on. This issue has been haunting me for a long time. My co-workers with Arch Linux and Ubuntu have the same problem. All of those OSes use Pulseaudio. As for the hardware, I have Thinkpad T420 - it has Intel audio card, pretty standard.

It appears that Teamspeak is constantly talking with pulseaudio, maybe transmitting silence. What I see when Teamspeak is using 20% CPU, Pulseaudio uses 13%. When I close Teamspeak, Pulseaudio cpu usage disappears. I'd be happy to help you debug the problem, maybe by running some development version with special logs. I'm a developer myself.

We have 8 people in the company and some of them need to work outside sometimes, cafes and so on. This really hurts battery life. We are gonna be evaluating Discord soon and it appears that it uses very little CPU. One observation, if I push to talk in Discord, the cpu usage jumps up to the level Teamspeak has. I am almost sure Teamspeak is listening to the microphone all the time (despite push to talk) or something along the lines.

Let me know how I can help.

Hi RushPL,
    giving some love to the sound backends is on my todo list, unfortunately I cannot dive into the code right now due to other tasks.
    That said, most likely I'll be able to improve on computation reduction when not talking.
    However, while talking, despite some other app might reach the same CPU consumption, assuming the CPU is running at full speed at the time, is too high in my book nonetheless.
    Hence, let's see if we can drain some more information out of it circling in the issue.
    For comparison, if you have the time, you might want to have a look at the numbers a recording app like audacity has when recording your voice with pulse audio. That way, we can be quite sure if the issue can be described as "pulseaudio with microphone open" per se.
    First, I'd check if disabling any capture dsp (options->capture) like echo cancelation etc. makes any difference.
    Second, try if changing the sample rates for capture and playback devices in your sound device setup (system level) to 48kHz makes any difference - as the client internally uses 48kHz that takes out some resampling.
    Third, I think that should be like
    Code:
    pacmd list-sinks | grep latency
    , let's have a look at the interval/latency pulse audio is currently running on while you're connected to a server. Really low latencies can cause quite some stress on the audio chain.

[Edit] Just to rule this out, too: check if Design -> Animated gif support -> Disable them makes any difference.[/edit]

So much for now, let's start from here.

I am gonna post some screenshots of running "htop -p". The top entry is the main teamspeak process, and the rest are individual threads which sum up to the first entry. My CPU is a 2.7Ghz Sandy Bridge.

CPU usage on empty channel or after disconnecting from server:

echo cancellation on - 25 (split more or less into threads of 14.4%, 8.2% and 2.7%) plus pulseaudio 13%
    http://x.rushbase.net/3a0fdd5eaf60ea...screenshot.png
    http://x.rushbase.net/5bae17a0c4f653...screenshot.png

no echo cancellation - 11% (split more or less into threads 4.1%, 3.4% and 2.8%) plus pulse audio 10%
    http://x.rushbase.net/585c0e287e61bb...screenshot.png
    http://x.rushbase.net/6ce2401c8e14f7...screenshot.png

the cpu usage persists after disconnecting:
    http://x.rushbase.net/5a83966c0e0a7a...screenshot.png

CPU usage just after starting teamspeak is relatively low (not connected to server yet)
    http://x.rushbase.net/1f171b662f693d...screenshot.png

Some facts:
    * Disabling echo cancellations and clicking apply does reduce CPU usage from 25% TS + 13% pulseaudio to around 11% TS plus pulseaudio 10%. It does pulse as well. I have observed multiple measurements.
    * Running "parecord abc.wav" yielded almost zero cpu usage
    * CPU is low after starting, ramps up after connecting to a server and never goes down afterwards. Even after disconnecting.
    * Changing sample rate from 44100 to 48000 had no effect on neither teamspeak's nor on pulseaudio's cpu usage
    * Killing pulseaudio via "pulseaudio -k" immediately reduced teamspeak's cpu usage to 3%, same as before connecting to a server.
    * Changing backend to ALSA with no echo cancellation is the same as Pulse with no echo cancellation. But I think it's useless comparison cause it goes through Pulse's ALSA backend. ALSA with cancellation is the same as ALSA without echo cancellation.
    * Animated avatars and gifs make no difference
    [email protected]:~> pacmd list-sinks|grep latency
    current latency: 6.36 ms
    configured latency: 7.50 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms
    analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
    analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
    * One additional thing I noticed, while being connected to the server, pressing push to talk does further increase the CPU usage. Not sure if this is significant. But it does pose the question whether the original CPU usage comes from mic recording.

I hope this helps, thanks for taking interest in this problem.

Anything else I can provide?
    Last edited by RushPL; June 10th, 2016 at 11:21 AM.

[Linux] Very high CPU usage with pulse audio.

Teamspeak is very cpu hungry even if not transmitting audio. Moreover if teamspeak client is turned on, pulse audio's cpu usage also spikes to roughly the same percentage. If push-to-talk is triggered, the CPU usage spikes even more to around 40%.

Here's a thread breakdown of CPU usage.
    Code:
    13.3  7639 maciekmm ./ts3client_linux_amd64
     6.5     - maciekmm -
     0.1     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     1.9     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
     1.3     - maciekmm -
     0.0     - maciekmm -
    4.9.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 9 19:07:09 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    Model name:            AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
    CPU MHz:               4200.000

Same problem here. Since last update to 3.1.1.1 Teamspeak Client is consuming high cpu. Without even being connected cpu-usage increases constantly up to 99% on an i5 processor.

I'm running
    Teamspeak 3.1.1.1
    Qt Version 5.6.1
    on Kubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Linux 4.4.0-65-generic kernel
    Last edited by svchost.exe; March 6th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.

according to my test, ts3 will continue spamming dbus.
    this action causing my plasmashell using lots of cpu to deal with the singal.
    In slower CPU this will cause plasmashell using 50% CPU.

I think it should has a option to disable the animation icon or something else.

Pulseaudio high CPU usasge.

Originally i thought that the bug was of Teamspeak 10% of the CPU for pulseaudio and 10% of the app, but i then found out it used 10% of one of four cores. Anyways, even though it's not so staggering anymore, it's still a bug.

Bug description:
    Teamspeak constantly utilizing pulseaudio making it use 10/400's of the CPU. For comparison playing a song uses up to 2/400's of the CPU. Selecting ALSA Playback lowers pulseaudio's usage to 7/400's, but doesn't remove it.

How to reproduce it:
    Run teamspeak on a linux machine with pulseaudio.

System information:
    Pulseaudio 10.0
    Arch Linux
    top used for monitoring

If there's anything I missed please ask.

Extremely High CPU Usage on Linux

Hi,

I'm a continued user of Teamspeak and I switched back to Linux recently. I'm happy that there is a Linux client but I've noticed that Teamspeak uses A LOT more CPU on Linux than it does on Windows. Here is my current system for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibKnlSn.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	15643

And here is the current CPU usage for Linux on my system:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9eMoQg4.png 
Views:	392 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	15644

As seen in the above screenshot Teamspeak is using 80% CPU usage. Since I have 8 logical cores this would be equivalent to 10% CPU usage in Windows. While I can't test this right now, from my memory Teamspeak was only using 1-2% of my CPU on Windows 10. Also, for comparison the "Web Content" in the process list is me playing a Youtube video at 1080p. It normally uses 24-32% CPU which translates to 3-4% CPU usage on Windows. Normally I wouldn't mind it since the CPU usage isn't that big of a deal but summer is approaching and the extra CPU usage is making my PC use ~30W more power (meaning I use a grand total of ~90W) when I normally only use ~60W when just browsing the internet. It's only the Linux version of Teamspeak that causes this CPU/power increase since when browsing the internet with Teamspeak on Windows I'd also be at around 60W. If you could do anything to help me out here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue as stated in above posts - I'm using Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 x64. I'm on the newest TS client as of writing this which is 3.1.6

Is there any workaround or bugfix in the works?

Thread Information