Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Read these (or some of the other questions / answers / articles discussing/explaining linux memory usage)
    http://serverfault.com/questions/138...n-linux-ubuntu
    http://serverfault.com/questions/485...orted-in-linux
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Read these (or some of the other questions / answers / articles discussing/explaining linux memory usage)
    http://serverfault.com/questions/138...n-linux-ubuntu
    http://serverfault.com/questions/485...orted-in-linux
    I understand about how the numbers add up what I want to know is why is the TeamSpeak process managing that large of a memory stick if it's only using less than a hundred Megs why is it managing ten times that amount in Virtual I personally have never seen the reason for that to happen and that is my question why is the process of managing that much memory I don't care it was virtual or not I want to know why and is there a way to reduce that management overhead

The virtual memory usage is irrelevant in terms of actual resource consumption. Relevant is the RES column of top - the physical memory utilization. Virtual memory is available almost unlimited.
    High virtual memory usage is caused by requesting that much memory from the operating system but not actually use it. The operating system does not allocate actual resources until the memory is really read from or written to. Sometimes, the memory is not allocated explicitly by the developer but by the libraries the developer uses. Sometimes the developer has not really much control over this.

Don't bother. Your server uses 18436 KB of physical memory, that is 18.4 MB. It's about the same every small Teamspeak server uses. I have two running, one test server where no one ever logs in, it has also 1,4 GB virtual usage and 11 MB physical memory usage. And my productive server with 5-20 users, it has 715 MB virtual usage and 23,5 MB physical usage. Never had any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    The virtual memory usage is irrelevant in terms of actual resource consumption. Relevant is the RES column of top - the physical memory utilization. Virtual memory is available almost unlimited.
    High virtual memory usage is caused by requesting that much memory from the operating system but not actually use it. The operating system does not allocate actual resources until the memory is really read from or written to. Sometimes, the memory is not allocated explicitly by the developer but by the libraries the developer uses. Sometimes the developer has not really much control over this.

Don't bother. Your server uses 18436 KB of physical memory, that is 18.4 MB. It's about the same every small Teamspeak server uses. I have two running, one test server where no one ever logs in, it has also 1,4 GB virtual usage and 11 MB physical memory usage. And my productive server with 5-20 users, it has 715 MB virtual usage and 23,5 MB physical usage. Never had any problem.
    I am not a subscriber to virt is unlimited there is real overhead to that one..it is not causing any kind of performance problems. I keep a close eye on my machines though so if anything looks out of place i ask..

Thread Information