Forum

SDK Server Build Errors

I'm attempting to use the Unity 5 (SDK 3.0.3.2) to integrate into my unity game, but the package doesn't come with a sdk server file.
    After reading around some forum posts: Here and here it seems I'm supposed to build my own server file to use.

However when I try to build the server files with Visual Studio 2015 I get an error saying 'Failed to locate: "CL.exe". The system cannot find the file specified'.
    (Might be worth noting that when I open the .sln file I get a message prompting me to upgrade the build tools from v120_xp to v140_xp - Not sure if relevant)

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this error, or alternatively, does anyone have a pre-built copy of the sdk server files that I could use?

Thanks, Dan

Hi,

You would normally run C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\vcvarsall.bat in the commandline to setup all the required paths if you want to build in the command line.

The regular way would be to open the provided solution (sln) file and just build it from within Visual Studio. The upgrade message is correct, the project files are downwards compatibile to an older Visual Studio version. We may upgrade that at some point, but that may risk that people with older VS cannot build anymore.
    If your Visual Studio says "failed to locate CL.exe", then something is wrong with your installation. CL.exe is Microsofts compiler, and it should be installed with Visual Studio. Why it's missing I cannot tell.

To ease your process, I made a prebuild win32 executable of the "server" sample. Built with Visual Studio 2014 and static C++ runtime in win32 release mode.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Dg&usp=sharing

You still need ts3server_win32.dll in addition, that's included in the regular SDK download. The server exe is only a stub which starts the SDK server and runs a minimal commandline prompt. See the source code in the server example folder, if you feel like modifying the server yourself at a later time. But I suppose for initial testing the prebuilt should be sufficient.

Originally a server binary was included in the Unity SDK project. I don't know where it went missing, but that sounds wrong to me. We need to include it again for the next version. I believe it is not unrealistic to assume that people using Unity don't want to be bothered with C/C++ compilers. :-)

Thread Information