Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

How to relocate the server whitelist text file, so that it still works?

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum, though I couldn't figure where else to put it, well nevermind...

I'm currently trying to make a whitelist list where you can automaticly whitelist yourself using a website and a password, but for that I'll need to be able to move my whitelist file to a online webserver, though I don't know how I do that, because I guess that it's not just a drag'n'drop with the file it self, but I haven't been able to find a place where you can "rename" the path, does anyone know how to do this?

Oh and while we're here, how do you even enable it, I can't find anything on that either...

Thanks in advance,
    Magn0053

You know, what? You don't need that.
    Just use SSH to connect to the box running TS, and only IP you need whitelisted is 127.0.0.1.

Well... The TeamSpeak server is hosted locally on my own pc, which would make this impossible

It's not possible to redirect the white or blacklist.
    It need to be in the server main dir to work.

Only users who have access to the machine can or should change these files at all.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Magn0053 View Post
    Well... The TeamSpeak server is hosted locally on my own pc, which would make this impossible
    Don't make me laugh, pretty please. If you can host TS3 off your system, nothing prevents you from hosting any other network service, and SSH server is no different in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Don't make me laugh, pretty please. If you can host TS3 off your system, nothing prevents you from hosting any other network service, and SSH server is no different in this regard.
    I'd rather not admit it, but it's rather hard to understand, even though I've tried quite a lot, but... The case is this. I'm hosting my TS server on my own home pc, which I also use for gaming, some school, other work, and just in general for everything, I also have access to a webserver, though it's limited, I can only create new websites, put files up, you know, and I want to make a PHP (most likely) website, which whitelists IP's by taking the visitors IP and with a password I can assure they're allowed... I hope you understand that... I have limited knowledge, even though I want to understand it

Why do you want to edit the Teamspeak server whitelist file in the first place? What do you want to achieve?

It may be that you misunderstand what the purpose of the whitelist file is. If you only want to let people in to your server, you don't have to edit the whitelist file. Every user can join the server independent of the whitelist file. There is a mechanic in the server called flood prevention, which bans users who send floods of commands to the server. This only happens with automated scripts running wild or with some malicious attacks. IP addresses in the whitelist are excluded from this detection, thus are allowed to floods to the server. Some administration tools may send command floods, so whitelisting may be desired for these, but it's better to increase the flood limits instead of fiddling with the whitelist file.
    Ordinary voice users usually send not enough commands to ever trigger the flood prevention.

So for ordinary user access, you just let the file empty. If the server runs on your local machine, and you connect to it locally for voice and administration, you may enter the local IP addresses of the server (127.0.0.1 and probably 192.168.?.?) to the whitelist file and you are fine your your administation. If you have remote administrators, increase the flood limit of the server a bit instead of fiddling with the whitelist file.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    Why do you want to edit the Teamspeak server whitelist file in the first place? What do you want to achieve?

It may be that you misunderstand what the purpose of the whitelist file is. If you only want to let people in to your server, you don't have to edit the whitelist file. Every user can join the server independent of the whitelist file. There is a mechanic in the server called flood prevention, which bans users who send floods of commands to the server. This only happens with automated scripts running wild or with some malicious attacks. IP addresses in the whitelist are excluded from this detection, thus are allowed to floods to the server.
    Oh... well yes, I misunderstood it, I though it would keep everyone out, though not thoose in the whitelist file of course basaed on IP. Is there another method for this then?

It's the job of your firewall to allow or to restrict connections from target IP to the Query Port.
    The blacklist.txt can also be used to block target IPs.

But as said before only the server owner should manage the content!
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Blocking or allowing people through IP address is not the way to go. Most people get dynamic IP addresses from their internet providers, so their addresses change every day or every week.

Instead, you should set up the permission system within the Teamspeak server. You are able to configure this from within the Teamspeak client. The most easy thing is to configure a global server password, so no one except your users are able to enter the server. The next step (if the server password is not sufficient) you can set up restrictions on who can leave the default channel and join other channels. And so on.

But let me tell you this: as long as you only speak with a somewhat closed group of friends, you will probably never have any trouble even without detailed security measures. I am running a small server for about 8 years for a small community, usually online are 5-20 people with occasional spikes up to 100, and the only real security is the server password that was never changed in 8 years. All users are allowed to freely tell the password if they want to invite a friend. Occasionally, you need to kick or ban an offender, but that's about one per year.

Start which that, and see if it is sufficient for your server. If it is not sufficient, learn how to restrict channels to registered users. (Registered users=users you explicitly gave some server group instead of the default guest group)

Thread Information