Forum

One Teamspeak Server Two Ip Addresses

I currently have one server (windows server) running one teamspeak server(3.0.12.2).
    On this server I have two external facing IP addresses.

I set up my Teamspeak 3 server ini file to:
    voice_ip=0.0.0.0

When doing so, only IP 1 will work properly.
    Clients will not be able to connect to IP2.

However, when I change my Teamspeak 3 server ini file to:
    voice_ip=IP2

Clients can connect to IP2, but of course not IP1 (as expected).
    How can I get Teamspeak 3 server to allow clients to connect on both IP1 and IP2.

Note, that we can rule out firewall, other dumb networking issues due to the test above.
    We are able to change the teamspeak config in order to get successful connections on both the ips exclusively, but not together.
    I have multiple other services that are working perfectly fine with this configuration, only teamspeak seems to be struggling with binding to two addresses.

Warfront1
    Last edited by warfront1; July 12th, 2016 at 04:18 AM.

Fix your routing, this is not a TS3 problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Fix your routing, this is not a TS3 problem.
    Did the above test not suffice to rule out a simple routing issue?
    I was able to connect externally to both IP1 and IP2 (one individually at a time) just by changing the ts3 ini config.

I am 100% certain it rules out a firewall issue.
    As for a network issue, I'm not sure where to begin. It would appear to be a server specific issue.
    As all of my other external facing services(apache, SQL, etc.) are working fine in this configuration as well.

Test 1/Production Configuration:
    voice_ip=0.0.0.0
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98988db174740ee473ed2c158e866b01.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	14069
    IP1: Connectable
    IP2: Not Reachable

Test 2:
    voice_ip=IP2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4959cab7c200340c12c0e18ec005a270.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	14070
    IP1: Not Reachable
    IP2: Connectable

I was expecting the forced binding (IP2) to show up in tcpview, however it still shows *.
    This is odd behavior from a server application, but outside the scope of my question.

Test 3:
    voice_ip=IP1
    IP1: Connectable
    IP2: Not Reachable

The above screenshots were taken using tcpview.
    All in all there is alot of odd activity here.
    Most of it is far from typical server application behavior, which is why I am reaching out for support here.

Warfront1
    Last edited by warfront1; July 12th, 2016 at 04:08 AM.

either the server process was not started using the parameters correctly or the tool has some issues, it should bind to the second IP if started using the right parameters. Maybe something odd with Windows happening I don't know.

However it is true that there may be problems with multi-homed machines and clients not connecting to and/or dropping when using the secondary IP address(es). Server 3.0.13 will fix that.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by warfront1 View Post
    Did the above test not suffice to rule out a simple routing issue?
    I was able to connect externally to both IP1 and IP2 (one individually at a time) just by changing the ts3 ini config.

I am 100% certain it rules out a firewall issue.
    Firewall has nothing to do with routing.
    And I know that because my server happily lives on two internet uplinks, with all its services.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    either the server process was not started using the parameters correctly or the tool has some issues, it should bind to the second IP if started using the right parameters. Maybe something odd with Windows happening I don't know.

However it is true that there may be problems with multi-homed machines and clients not connecting to and/or dropping when using the secondary IP address(es). Server 3.0.13 will fix that.
    Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and point me in the right direction.
    Upgrading to Server 3.0.13 early release has gotten me up and running.
    Both IP1 and IP2 are accessible now. I did not even need to make one configuration change!
    I will keep you posted on any issues (hopefully none) that arise from the early release.

What a great release!

For the record there was not a network configuration issue, routing, or firewall issue.
    The only thing changed to get this working was upgrading to the newest version of teamspeak server.

Thanks,
    Warfront1

Thread Information