Forum

Thread: TS DNS Question

TS DNS Question

Hey!

I've scoured the internet, and seen quite a few threads from several years ago, but I'll ask a fresh question;

I have two DNSs pointed to the same IP (my VPS). I am currently running two virtual servers, on two different ports (Fake DNS and blanked out IPs for security)

My TSDNS looks like this

ts.ab.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9987
    ts.cd.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9988

From what I've seen, this should, in theory, be the correct format, I own both domains, the DNS records are pointing at the same IP (I use CloudFlare to manage them)

However, when connecting with ts.cd.com, it will take me to the server running on port 9987, rather than the server I actually want it to connect to.

If I connect to ts.cd.com:9988 it will take me to the correct servers.

My question being - What is it that I'm missing, that's causing both DNS connections to go to the same server?

Many thanks

Sparkz

A DNS name is just a name for an IP address so us humans don't have to remember IP addresses (that could change as well). It got nothing to do with ports.
    Since you don't specify a port, the client will use the default port and because both names translate to the same address it will end up connecting to the same thing in either case. If you're just using A records you'll have to specify the port and can use either of the names (since they're equivalent) to connect to either one.
    If you want one name to go to the 9987 server and the other name to the 9988 server you'll have to use SRV records instead.

Something like this for example:
    Code:
    ts.mydomain.com IN A 1.2.3.4
    _ts3._udp.ab.com IN SRV 5 100 9987 ts.mydomain.com.
    _ts3._udp.cd.com IN SRV 5 100 9988 ts.mydomain.com.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A DNS name is just a name for an IP address so us humans don't have to remember IP addresses (that could change as well). It got nothing to do with ports.
    Since you don't specify a port, the client will use the default port and because both names translate to the same address it will end up connecting to the same thing in either case. If you're just using A records you'll have to specify the port and can use either of the names (since they're equivalent) to connect to either one.
    If you want one name to go to the 9987 server and the other name to the 9988 server you'll have to use SRV records instead.

Something like this for example:
    Code:
    ts.mydomain.com IN A 1.2.3.4
    _ts3._udp.ab.com IN SRV 5 100 9987 ts.mydomain.com.
    _ts3._udp.cd.com IN SRV 5 100 9988 ts.mydomain.com.
    I was under the impression the TSDNS is what managed it? I assume I have to create SRV records then, as whilst the Domains differ, they point to the same IP so the default port is chosen? Apologies for being slow on the updtake, I'm not that techy! *edit - Spelling*

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSparkz View Post
    I was under the impression the TSDNS is what managed it? I assume I have to create SRV records then, as whilst the Domains differ, they point to the same IP so the default port is chosen? Apologies for being slow on the updtake, I'm not that techy! *edit - Spelling*
    TSDNS is a poor man's replacement for SRV records.
    If you have a DNS domain, best use SRV records.
    If you don't, neither will help.

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSparkz View Post
    I was under the impression the TSDNS is what managed it?
    Well it can somewhat, but for that you'll have to configure it correctly and make sure it's actually running.
    If you got access to modify your DNS settings then SRV records are preferable.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well it can somewhat, but for that you'll have to configure it correctly and make sure it's actually running.
    If you got access to modify your DNS settings then SRV records are preferable.
    It's all good - Got a friend who runs a hosting company to sort my SRV Records for me ^_^ Many thanks!

Thread Information