Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Suggestion] Multiple Connection Retry

I guess this isn't a major and very important feature which we all require, but recently I've wondered whether it would be possible for the Client to retry a connection to a server when you connect from the bookmark.

When you are connected, and you lose the connection to the server, the Client will try to reconnect,
    but if you try to connect for the first time since application start up and it fails the first time, then you have to manually go to the bookmark or connection window to try again - it would be good if the Client could try to connect 2 or 3 more times on its own as sometimes its not the servers fault you can't connect - maybe it's your internet connection or just a problem at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantoflarz View Post
    sometimes its not the servers fault you can't connect - maybe it's your internet connection or just a problem at the time.
    I wonder if retrying once or twice would really change anything in that case. If your connection / ISP fails then it's not very likely that it'll magically be fine a second later.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I wonder if retrying once or twice would really change anything in that case. If your connection / ISP fails then it's not very likely that it'll magically be fine a second later.
    It will make a big difference, because certain ISPs may loss a packet here or there, specially wifi providers, so yes it is important (the auto-reconnect when the connection is lost, works like a charm, so implementing this in the first connection procedure, would be neat as well, if possible).

The most automated it is, the better it is.

A connection attempt retry even if started from the bookmarks makes sense. I would love it.

For example, if the TS server is down for maintenance and you are waiting for it to come up again. You don't want to retry manually, you want to connect automatically as soon as the server is available again.

A true scenario: my vps hoster sometimes starts planned maintenance at about 21:00, and usually the vps is up again about 15-30 minutes later. If you were connected to the TS server at 21:00 and the server goes down, the TS client retries until the server is up again. Fine. But if you try to login at 21:05, you have to retry manually until the server is up again. That could be avoided if you were able to let the TS client retry until connect.

This is a controversial feature, of course, because there are users with broken DNS, broken network configuration or have typos in the server name. Such users will never get any connection, regardless of the number of retries. Perhaps enable the retry only, if there were a successful connection to that server at least once in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    A connection attempt retry even if started from the bookmarks makes sense. I would love it.

For example, if the TS server is down for maintenance and you are waiting for it to come up again. You don't want to retry manually, you want to connect automatically as soon as the server is available again.

A true scenario: my vps hoster sometimes starts planned maintenance at about 21:00, and usually the vps is up again about 15-30 minutes later. If you were connected to the TS server at 21:00 and the server goes down, the TS client retries until the server is up again. Fine. But if you try to login at 21:05, you have to retry manually until the server is up again. That could be avoided if you were able to let the TS client retry until connect.

This is a controversial feature, of course, because there are users with broken DNS, broken network configuration or have typos in the server name. Such users will never get any connection, regardless of the number of retries. Perhaps enable the retry only, if there were a successful connection to that server at least once in the past.
    Right, automatic retry unless if aborted by the user via disconnect button would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Sometimes this does happen and retrying literally a second later for a second time creates a successful connection - not just personal experience but some of my friends also experience the same thing on our public server, and I know for a fact this isn't the servers fault, as not everyone has a similar issue, only a few of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantoflarz View Post
    Sometimes this does happen and retrying literally a second later for a second time creates a successful connection - not just personal experience but some of my friends also experience the same thing on our public server, and I know for a fact this isn't the servers fault, as not everyone has a similar issue, only a few of us do.
    It's better having this feature than not having it at all, at least it is my opinion. :P

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDev View Post
    It's better having this feature than not having it at all, at least it is my opinion. :P
    True - it would be nice to see this in the future client version. Surely it can't be that difficult to add considering it already happens when you drop the connection.

Would be grateful for any Dev feedback on this.

Thanks

Thread Information