Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Suggestion] Suggestions to be added to the Server.

It seems like in the recent updates, we are getting updates which are supposed to improve the background of the server and all of the backend.

No offense, as far as I understand this is necessary, it seems as though there is nothing new from the front end at all, so I've gathered some feedback from my own users and have come up with this list of suggestions:

1) Server Maintenance Mode - this would be helpful as an optional feature. For example if you had planned maintenance at 22.00, the server would activate Maintenance Mode then and send a pop up message to any connected clients with a short description you provide/set and would then direct users to a temporary address to use in the meantime of the break. (Potentially, the Client could then check back with the mother server to see if it is available again, and if it is, redirect Clients back to the mother server upon User Acceptance).

2) Possibility of setting a server tree ''theme'' - this is pretty self explanatory - maybe two or three files which get downloaded via the Client and are then used on the server. This would maybe finally mean that the servers start looking a bit more unique and have something to enhance the user experience with (currently, it seems like every server you go on looks the same, cause let's face it, it does).

3) Colours to be accepted as spacer and channel names - now I understand this is controversial, but it really would help the bigger servers out there that have lots of channels - then maybe color coding things would make life easier and as aforementioned would add to the uniqueness of each server.

That was all in terms of personalisation. Next are some Admin features we would love to see implemented :

1) Mac Address banning - let's face it, the banning feature in TeamSpeak has a lot of flaws and pretty much as soon as you get a ban, you can get behind a VPN and create a new identity and you're free to come back again.

2) MyTeamspeak.com account banning - this would be beneficial once again in terms of what I mentioned above, but also the fact that people can just come back on a different device - if this feature was implemented, then it wouldn't be as easy to do so. I understand that they could then create a new MyTeamspeak.com account, but that would require more time and might make a few people change their intentions to avoid hassle.

3) Possiblity to change the icon of a Query Server Group - what I mean is that on bigger servers, a lot of groups are hidden to prevent a massive window opening when you click 'Set Server Group' on a client. The problem with Query Groups is they can be created with an icon but then that icon cannot be altered.

4) Possibility to add users from one group into another - so, for example if you have created one group (Group A) and have another (Group B), you can easily transfer everyone with Group A to have Group B too.

I understand that many of these features may be deemed as controversial, but I'm simply putting forward what our community and Admin Team came up with. I'd be grateful for any feedback or further suggestions and I really do hope TeamSpeak get a move on if they don't want to find themselves in a position where they have to catch up with Discord or all the other emerging VOIP applications out there.

Cheers

Maintenance mode... If your maintenance takes more than 20 seconds, you are doing something wrong. It doesn't make sense to change to another TeamSpeak, finding oneself a channel and stuff.

Query groups: Only query clients have query groups, which people normally cannot see. So why have icons for them?

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Maintenance mode... If your maintenance takes more than 20 seconds, you are doing something wrong. It doesn't make sense to change to another TeamSpeak, finding oneself a channel and stuff.

Query groups: Only query clients have query groups, which people normally cannot see. So why have icons for them?
    Maintenance Mode - that may be true, but not sure if you're aware of what competition means.

Query Groups : well yes, theoretically only Query Clients should have them, but a lot of us nowadays use Query Groups as a means to hide server groups from people, especially when we have a lot of them - currently the icon can be added before the group is made (copied), but it can't be altered later, which would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantoflarz View Post
    Maintenance Mode - that may be true, but not sure if you're aware of what competition means.
    As I said, it would send people into one channel - everyone would need to find a proper channel first. That takes way longer than your usual server upgrade.

Query thing is not supported!

Thanks for the feedback! Here's my personal opinion on your suggestions:

1) Server Maintenance Mode - this would be helpful as an optional feature. For example if you had planned maintenance at 22.00, the server would activate Maintenance Mode then and send a pop up message to any connected clients with a short description you provide/set and would then direct users to a temporary address to use in the meantime of the break. (Potentially, the Client could then check back with the mother server to see if it is available again, and if it is, redirect Clients back to the mother server upon User Acceptance).
    To be honest, I don't really see the need for a built-in maintenance mode in the TeamSpeak 3 Server. Something like this would only make sense if there were tasks that would require all clients to be disconnected. I can't really think of a scenario where something like this would be necessary.

What you're requesting can already be done using ServerQuery (e.g. sending a message/poke to all clients, migrate voice server to a different instance using snapshots) and temporary updates to your DNS records.

2) Possibility of setting a server tree ''theme'' - this is pretty self explanatory - maybe two or three files which get downloaded via the Client and are then used on the server. This would maybe finally mean that the servers start looking a bit more unique and have something to enhance the user experience with (currently, it seems like every server you go on looks the same, cause let's face it, it does).
    I'd also like the ability to provide a set of CSS files and/or images to give a server an individual touch. Anyway... there needs to be a client-side setting to prevent the server from overriding your local settings.

3) Colours to be accepted as spacer and channel names - now I understand this is controversial, but it really would help the bigger servers out there that have lots of channels - then maybe color coding things would make life easier and as aforementioned would add to the uniqueness of each server.
    I agree... but again, we need a client-side setting to ignore this stuff.

1) Mac Address banning - let's face it, the banning feature in TeamSpeak has a lot of flaws and pretty much as soon as you get a ban, you can get behind a VPN and create a new identity and you're free to come back again.
    There's software that allows you to change the MAC address of your network interfaces... so adding a MAC address ban system would not make sense.

2) MyTeamspeak.com account banning - this would be beneficial once again in terms of what I mentioned above, but also the fact that people can just come back on a different device - if this feature was implemented, then it wouldn't be as easy to do so. I understand that they could then create a new MyTeamspeak.com account, but that would require more time and might make a few people change their intentions to avoid hassle.
    I think this would be the right way to do it. What I'd like to see is an optional server-side setting to only allow clients with valid myTeamSpeak accounts to connect. This would also allow people to report users to us so we can implement some kind of global reputation system.

3) Possiblity to change the icon of a Query Server Group - what I mean is that on bigger servers, a lot of groups are hidden to prevent a massive window opening when you click 'Set Server Group' on a client. The problem with Query Groups is they can be created with an icon but then that icon cannot be altered.
    Actually, changing the icon of a ServerQuery group should be possible. There's even a shared internal directory for global icons (otherwise, setting a remote icon would require that icon on every single voice server to make it work). I've never needed to do it, but if it doesn't work, I'd consider this a bug.

4) Possibility to add users from one group into another - so, for example if you have created one group (Group A) and have another (Group B), you can easily transfer everyone with Group A to have Group B too.
    This is already possible. Just open the permissions manager, select all users from the original group (using the SHIFT or CTRL shortcuts) and drag them to the new group.

You cannot set query group icons to other values than 0, 100, 200, 300, 500 or 600.

Ok, ScP wrote already about it, just my 0,02 €

Quote Originally Posted by Pantoflarz
    Havent seen this on any voice software me knows. If you have maintenance and noone should login, just stop the server.

You can do a range ban, raise the security level, set a server password, restrict the default group - enough to make it more difficult for banned users.
    And as ScP said, Mac-Spoofing can be done easily (you dont need special programs for it, but not gonna tell how to do it), so this is no security.

Would work if this is the only way to connect to a server, but as long as you have local profile on your computer/laptop...

Query Groups are for Query Clients only. No regular clients belong into them and its not supported! (at least this is what the mods here say )
    Besides for creating query groups you need Admin Server Query Access, and its unlikely that you get this on a rented server (AAL/ATHP).
    Last edited by Alcazar; September 12th, 2016 at 08:39 AM.

Question is, are they working on similar things or not. Nothing is revealed on what TeamSpeak is doing, which is kind of sad. Everything is kept a secret until 3 days before when they reveal it. I honestly don't like this method for many reasons.

@ScP

You mentioned and has been talked about it before, server side themes with the option to have users opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! Here's my personal opinion on your suggestions:

To be honest, I don't really see the need for a built-in maintenance mode in the TeamSpeak 3 Server. Something like this would only make sense if there were tasks that would require all clients to be disconnected. I can't really think of a scenario where something like this would be necessary.

What you're requesting can already be done using ServerQuery (e.g. sending a message/poke to all clients, migrate voice server to a different instance using snapshots) and temporary updates to your DNS records.

I'd also like the ability to provide a set of CSS files and/or images to give a server an individual touch. Anyway... there needs to be a client-side setting to prevent the server from overriding your local settings.

I agree... but again, we need a client-side setting to ignore this stuff.

There's software that allows you to change the MAC address of your network interfaces... so adding a MAC address ban system would not make sense.

I think this would be the right way to do it. What I'd like to see is an optional server-side setting to only allow clients with valid myTeamSpeak accounts to connect. This would also allow people to report users to us so we can implement some kind of global reputation system.

Actually, changing the icon of a ServerQuery group should be possible. There's even a shared internal directory for global icons (otherwise, setting a remote icon would require that icon on every single voice server to make it work). I've never needed to do it, but if it doesn't work, I'd consider this a bug.

This is already possible. Just open the permissions manager, select all users from the original group (using the SHIFT or CTRL shortcuts) and drag them to the new group.
    Wow, thanks for the interest guys.

Like I said, some of these features I don't fully agree with and I understand the pros and cons of each, but I wanted to make sure that the voice of my small community was heard, and it seems like it has been!

In terms of the query thing, as far as it may not be supported, it is commonly used so maybe its time it became supported?

ScP you mentioned about the possibility using the global directory for the Query Icons - I tried this and on my server version 3.0.12.3 it didn't work so I gave up and have just been idle with it to be honest.

The MAC address banning came around because we weren't sure how likely the myTeamspeak.com account banning would be in terms of being implemented - it was mentioned that TeamSpeak would never make users create these accounts to use the application so even if this banning would be added, nothing would stop people creating local accounts/identities to enter servers they have been banned on.

The reputation system sounds very interesting and would definitely aid a lot of us - in terms of looking at how trustworthy someone is and what competences they have etc.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    You cannot set query group icons to other values than 0, 100, 200, 300, 500 or 600.
    Theoretically you can't but I've been using a normal group, adding the icon I want, and then copying that group with a Target Type of Query Group.

It does the trick and hides the groups which is what I want, but the issues come when/if I get the icon wrong or I need to change it later - its kinda impossible (although theoretically it should be, according to ScP).

Adding an custom icon to Query group should not be possible at all.

In best case from our position:
    The icon value isn't set into the Query group when you copy a normal group into a Query group when a custom icon was set.
    That's a bug, but i don't think we should investigate men power to fix this.

The from ScP mentoined internal folder has no function and never had (that is no bug). It is a relict of a feature that never was added to the server.
    It was planned in the beginning to use the folder to offer instance wide icons.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The from ScP mentoined internal folder has no function and never had (that is no bug). It is a relict of a feature that never was added to the server.
    It was planned in the beginning to use the folder to offer instance wide icons.
    I'd still consider this a bug or at least an incomplete/faulty implementation. So we should either fix this at some point in the future, or remove the global internal directory to avoid confusion.

I kinda like the idea of giving hosters the ability to provide global icons for all virtual servers in the TeamSpeak 3 Server instance... so I'm voting for a fix.

Not a high priority thing tho.

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    This will just ensure, that sending massive ddos attacks towards this service, will render all the other teamspeak servers offline, keeping it the way it is right now is just the way to go, and implementing different hardware fingerprints, such as bios serial, motherboard serial, cpu serial, nic mac, hdd volume serial and so on, as ban options would be very nice and "safe", yes NIC MAC can be spoofed, because this is done in driver level, but the rest is not easy to do, and some will require even hardware changes.

Some mac address banning is a race that cannot be won. Since a mac address is only valid in the local net, the client has to transmit it to the server as part of its identification, so the server can validate it. I'm sure as soon as such a feature is implemented in the client, some cool kids will crack the client, so that it will supply random mac addresses to the server on each connect.

A reputation system connected to some centrally operated database seems a more stable approach, but this is a very complex setup. The first iteration of such a system is probably a simple central banning system. You no only ban the local identity of a user, you ban a myteamspeak user, so an offender isn't able to regenerate new identities in seconds. A myteamspeak user should take one or two minutes to create (total time from creation to email validation). Connect it to an email-address, and let the system create only 1 or 2 myteamspeak users per day for one given email address.

In the Teamspeak server, still allow standalone identities and additionally myteamspeak-registered identities. Give them distinct automatic groups in the Teamspeak server, so you can identify and handle them differently in the permission system. For example groups Guest and Guest-MyTS.

Now, if the server administrator has problems with trolls always coming back with new identities, he can make a jail for Guest in the default channel. Disallow them to move themselves, whisper, message, poke, speak, create temporary channels and use server query. Guest-MyTS is still allowed to do all this, just like the current implementation of the Guest group. If a Guest-MyTS behaves badly, the admin can ban him, and as soon as the troll has been banned with all of his myteamspeak identities, he is out as privileged guest. He can return as Guest with a local identity, but since this group has no permissions to do anything, he cannot do any harm any more.

If you happen to have a friendly user who insist on not registering on myteamspeak, so he has no access to the Guest-MyTS group, but wants to get on such a secured server, he can be assigned a "registered" group by the admin after manual validation - just like it is done already now.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    Some mac address banning is a race that cannot be won. Since a mac address is only valid in the local net, the client has to transmit it to the server as part of its identification, so the server can validate it. I'm sure as soon as such a feature is implemented in the client, some cool kids will crack the client, so that it will supply random mac addresses to the server on each connect.

A reputation system connected to some centrally operated database seems a more stable approach, but this is a very complex setup. The first iteration of such a system is probably a simple central banning system. You no only ban the local identity of a user, you ban a myteamspeak user, so an offender isn't able to regenerate new identities in seconds. A myteamspeak user should take one or two minutes to create (total time from creation to email validation). Connect it to an email-address, and let the system create only 1 or 2 myteamspeak users per day for one given email address.

In the Teamspeak server, still allow standalone identities and additionally myteamspeak-registered identities. Give them distinct automatic groups in the Teamspeak server, so you can identify and handle them differently in the permission system. For example groups Guest and Guest-MyTS.

Now, if the server administrator has problems with trolls always coming back with new identities, he can make a jail for Guest in the default channel. Disallow them to move themselves, whisper, message, poke, speak, create temporary channels and use server query. Guest-MyTS is still allowed to do all this, just like the current implementation of the Guest group. If a Guest-MyTS behaves badly, the admin can ban him, and as soon as the troll has been banned with all of his myteamspeak identities, he is out as privileged guest. He can return as Guest with a local identity, but since this group has no permissions to do anything, he cannot do any harm any more.

If you happen to have a friendly user who insist on not registering on myteamspeak, so he has no access to the Guest-MyTS group, but wants to get on such a secured server, he can be assigned a "registered" group by the admin after manual validation - just like it is done already now.
    This is not an issue when you have many hardware fingerprints you can use for this, MAC is for sure the weakest one.

Thread Information