Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Suggestion] Customizable interface/layout

If it's allready possible (via settings/theme/addons/skin or so) than nvm.

But if not are there any plans to let the user customize the ts3 interface (maybe even update the look a bit)?

I made a sick Paint-pic with my incredible editing skills to show an example I personally would prefer (customize) over the current one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ts3-vorschlag.png 
Views:	789 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	14296

Perfect-world scenario would be to let the user move the 3 "main-elements" (server-tree, channel-informations, chat) freely. So e.g. all in a row from left to right or stacked ontop or the channel-tree to the right an the chatwindow to the left.

But I guess that's a bit much for now and future down the line.

Or maybe I'm all alone with that custom-idea and all others are happy as is it now. So, please give me some feedback about this idea. Would appreciate some thoughts about it.

https://community.teamspeak.com/u/brady_the/
    I like this idea. It would be nice to have a more customisable user interface.

I like this! +1. TeamSpeak can still be improved, get this done... I love this program, but common... jesus.

Wow nice idea! +1 from me too - btw funny "cat video"

Now, I have it on good authority that jesus prefers a higher codec quality setting with voice encryption enabled.
    That said, if one would assume increased chat usage, bringing it more in focus would improve ux quite a bit.
    Food for thought:
    With the focus on chat for this arrangement, are we happy with horizontal tabs there? With a couple of private tabs open demand on width will soon exceed availability, which is when I feel tabs get messy.
    Q: I see two chat line edits?

Recent communication tools, like let's say slack, a little like this layout, have the, hrmm, self esteem to not really go for compactness (although I suspect cat video sizes being the hidden agenda). I do wonder, given the necessary compromises involved, if this day and age would even dig a more pidgin-y compact layout mode, e.g. Requiring view switching. Guess not.

But I digress.. Iirc there once actually was a plugin allowing to switch these placements by ScP. If I recall correctly, it's currently not an application option due to Qt glitches (back then when evaluated).
    So, you're not that alone at all

Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    Iirc there once actually was a plugin allowing to switch these placements by ScP.
    I didn't create it, I just use it.

If you'd like to give it a shot, download the latest release for your client platform here:

https://github.com/pathmann/pyTSon/releases

After installing, grab the file tweakui.py from this repo and copy it to the scripts directory in the pyTSon plugin folder:

https://github.com/pathmann/pyTSon_plugins

When enabled, pyTSon provides its own plugin settings under Plugins -> pyTSon. Enable the tweakui Python plugin there and be happy with your all new dock widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    Now, I have it on good authority that jesus prefers a higher codec quality setting with voice encryption enabled.
    Yeah.. sorry Jesus, that my AFK channel (which is moderated, so nobody can talk in it) hasn't the 10er codec.. and isn't encrypted. All of my normal talk channels (it's my server) have got the highest Codec (depending on channel usage, either Opus Voice or Music) and are encrypted. So, no worries.

That said, if one would assume increased chat usage, bringing it more in focus would improve ux quite a bit.
    Food for thought:
    With the focus on chat for this arrangement, are we happy with horizontal tabs there? With a couple of private tabs open demand on width will soon exceed availability, which is when I feel tabs get messy.
    Well.. yes, sometimes we got Android clients on our Teamspeak-server (buddys which are travelling) and they often can't talk without many background noises, so they are more listing and typing their "answers" in our meetings. So, yes the chat is a important function for us.
    I mean hell, alot of my buddys (me included) prefer a link send via Steam-chat instead of the Ts3 chat from the channel we are in, since it's so clunky and oldish (the ts3 chat) I'm comparison to other chat clients.

And your question about horizontal tabs(and your Slack mentioning) made me think about it and yes, It would be nice and to have the tabs on the left side of the chatwindows and stacking underneath each other(vertical tabs) and the chat right from it. I mean you could get more tabs on one frame without the need to click little arrows to the left or right to see more chat-tabs and even when you are running out of space (which is unlikely but could happen), you can easily hover your mouse over the chat-tabs and just scroll down without the need to click something. Way more intuitive in my eyes.

PS: my Pic was just a 5min Paint job, nothing very deep thought, so yes. there are alot of Improvements to my "idea".

Q: I see two chat line edits?
    Sorry? Don't know what you mean with that.

Recent communication tools, like let's say slack, a little like this layout, have the, hrmm, self esteem to not really go for compactness (although I suspect cat video sizes being the hidden agenda). I do wonder, given the necessary compromises involved, if this day and age would even dig a more pidgin-y compact layout mode, e.g. Requiring view switching. Guess not.
    Tbh, I didn't even know slack. Just googled it and it's looking nice and clean and seems to got a nice chat overview (tabs left, chat, right etc..), similar to Skype or Discord.

But I digress.. Iirc there once actually was a plugin allowing to switch these placements by ScP. If I recall correctly, it's currently not an application option due to Qt glitches (back then when evaluated).
    So, you're not that alone at all
    Yeah, like I said, maybe there is/was an way for this. I tried to google it, but wasn't able to found something in 15 mins. And if I can't find something in that time, it means A) it don't exist or B) is so old and unused/non functional any more that it's practical not existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    Yeah, like I said, maybe there is/was an way for this. I tried to google it, but wasn't able to found something in 15 mins. And if I can't find something in that time, it means A) it don't exist or B) is so old and unused/non functional any more that it's practical not existing.
    The way ScP described is currently working:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-09-19 15-35-23.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	614.9 KB 
ID:	14335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-09-19 15-36-20.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	606.2 KB 
ID:	14336

Screenshots are taken from current beta (3.1) on Linux amd64 (other platforms should work as well, as I heard, but I didn't explicitly tested the script there).

Feel free to adapt the python script to your needs. I made the script only to show, what's possible with the pyTSon plugin (manipulate the UI of the client).

Thread Information