Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Teamspeak as intercom system for industrial inspections

Hi,

Is it possible to use Teamspeak as an intercom system for industrial inspections?

We work with inspections of boilers. A team of up to 5 members then need to communicate simultaneously.

The plan is to set up a LAN in the boiler and use a PC as a teamspeak server. Every member in the team is equipped with an Android smartphone and an industrial headset.

The problem is that we normally don't have an internet connection in the boiler.

We now work with industrial intercom systems but are not satisfied. The are both expensive and don't perform well.

Can it work?

Best regards,
    Mats

It will not work without a WLAN or Internet connection.
    I don't think TeamSpeak is the right soloution as long there is no support for radio signals (or similar technology)
    Last edited by dante696; September 27th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

By LAN, he means WLAN/WiFi I guess.

I don't think they will have good WLAN connection in such boiler.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Hi,

With LAN I mean a local wifi network.

The wifi network inside the boiler is not a problem. Especially if you use a 5 GHz band and high quality router.

We have tried with other apps but apps like teamspeak or Discord seems more advanced with noise cancelling.

The problem is the no Internet connection. Can you run a teamspeak server without internet connection?

Best regards,
    Mats

In general it could work, I think.

- you install a Teamspeak server on a notebook
    - you bring the notebook into the boiler and make it a wlan access point - either with the internal wlan interface or an external one
    - if you use a Teamspeak server without license, it does not try to connect to the accounting server, which would fail in the boiler due to lack of an internet connection
    - you log into the wlan with your smartphones
    - you connect to the Teamspeak server via wlan from the smartphone TS3 client

It is necessary of course that the wlan can be reached from everywhere within the boiler any time. If the boiler is too large, there might be places the wlan isn't able to reach. I assume such a boiler is made of metal, so there might be additional complications with waves reflected by the walls, so the usable range of the wlan might be even smaller.

A license should be bought nonetheless, because this is commercial use. But you probably cannot install it on the server, because it cannot be validated while the server machine is in the boiler.

I don't know how dangerous the work in this environment is - I would only use such a self-made solution if communication is not vital for your health and for your life. If it's vital, there are probably certified communication solutions that should be used.

Thanx

It is not vital to health or life. The team members are on different levels of the boiler doing testing and reporting results.

Best regards,
    Mats

Hi Bermat,

Please send an email to [email protected] referencing this forum thread to discuss a possible solution.

Thank you!

James

Thread Information