Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why not do resolving in 2 step :
    - All SRV records first
    - A records (TSDNS and simple A resolving if TSDNS isn't found)
    ?

So with that you save people who can't resolve SRV records (and only them lost time to connect) and you save time for hosters who have best practice for TS hosting. And you keep TeamSpeak usable for everyone.

Sounds like a plan to me. TSDNS as a last resort.
    An alternative would be using 8.8.8.8 as your nameservers if your system's fail. That would be way faster.

BTW, please add a way to point an SRV record to "user-given port" (setting port=0 would be an idea). That would make TSDNS competely redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    An alternative would be using 8.8.8.8 as your nameservers if your system's fail. That would be way faster.
    No... just no. But apart from privacy concerns, I do not get why using Google DNS servers should make the connection process "way faster".

BTW, please add a way to point an SRV record to "user-given port" (setting port=0 would be an idea). That would make TSDNS competely redundant.
    I'm not quite sure I get it. Are we talking about changing the default TSDNS port here?

Conncting to Anycast DNS servers that do exist is faster (20-30 ms) than trying to establish a TCP connection to something that doesn't (2-3 s). That is actually the only thing this thread is about.

For the other thing: I mean TS3 port. SRV overrides the TS3 port. Hosters sould be able to turn this off. I would like to use my main domain for multiple TS servers (with port), but the website is hosted elsewhere.

For the other thing: I mean TS3 port. SRV overrides the TS3 port. Hosters sould be able to turn this off. I would like to use my main domain for multiple TS servers (with port), but the website is hosted elsewhere.
    Don't really see any problem with this?
    You can just create SRV records that point to different ports on the same (your) system. No need to have the user specify any port.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't really see any problem with this?
    You can just create SRV records that point to different ports on the same (your) system. No need to have the user specify any port.
    With this argumentation, you can just drop TSDNS completely, because this was the only scenario where you need SRV TSDNS.

Well, I don't know if the Teamspeak client will honor multiple SRV TSDNS records, but you can in theory archieve redundancy for a domain by propagating two or even more TSDNS servers for a specific domain by using SRV records.

With this argumentation, you can just drop TSDNS completely, because this was the only scenario where you need SRV TSDNS.
    Let's just say, you should then be more precise with your posts and possibly not leave out 90% of your train of thought. ;-) Maybe then it wouldn't be a guessing game.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

I have a website that is hosted somewhere. I also have a TeamSpeak server that is hosted somewhere else. I want my TeamSpeak server to use the domain name of my website but still use ports.

Pretty much the same thing you wrote before and I still don't see any problem.

TS3: a.com

b.com can either have _ts3 SRV records on the individual subdomains for ts3 pointing to the respective ports on a.com, or you can have a _tsdns SRV record on b.com pointing towards the TSDNS server running someplace.
    The TSDNS would then have entries for the a.com IP address and the respective port.

Both cases work just fine.
    Not sure what problem you're seeing.

I have a website that is hosted somewhere. I also have a TeamSpeak server that is hosted somewhere else. I want my TeamSpeak server to use the domain name of my website but still use ports.
    What exactly do you mean with "domain name of my website"? That's probably www.example.org - do you really want your TS users use www.example.org:<teamspeak-port>, or it is sufficient if they use ts.example.org:<teamspeak-port>? The domain is the same, only the hostname is different.

I would set it up like this:
    The machine with the website is hosted at one provider at 1.1.1.1, to which the provider supplies the hostname host1111.provider1.com.
    The machine with the teamspeak server is hosted at a different provider at 2.2.2.2, to which the provider supplies the hostname anotherhost2222.provider2.com.
    Your website is www.example.org. For this, you create a CNAME for www.example.org pointing to host1111.provider1.com.
    Your TS server is ts.example.org. For this, you create a CNAME for ts.example.org pointing to anotherhost2222.provider2.com.

This way, you can use ts.example.org:<portnumber> for Teamspeak.

If you add SRV records, set the target of your TS SRV record to anotherhost2222.provider2.com.

I want TS to be on a.com:port as well. This can easily be done with SRV TSDNS (and is the only advantage it has over SRV TS3 at all).

Considering the chance that you can rid of the abomination that is TSDNS, the sacrifice to use ts.a.com:port instead of a.com:port is a really small sacrifice.

I want TS to be on a.comort as well. This can easily be done with SRV TSDNS (and is the only advantage it has over SRV TS3 at all).
    I didn't actually try that (since I don't have a setup right now that works that way, who enters port numbers anyway) but it should be even less of a problem and doesn't even have anything to do with TSDNS/SRV records. The server is running on the machine identified by a.com, so a.com:9999 will just use A/AAAA resolve to connect.
    The only thing that you cannot have in the TSDNS config in that scenario is an a.com= line and probably also no *= line.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
    a.com => website hosted on 1.1.1.1
    a.com:port => several TS servers hosted on 2.2.2.2
    Easily done via SRV TSDNS and the $PORT feature. No way to achieve with anything else. I'm just asking for an equivalent to $PORT for SRV, which could be port=0 because it's invalid anyway.

So if this is not the intended use of TSDNS, there is no use for TSDNS at all.

Thread Information