Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation TSDNS update

Hello,

I've updated my TeamSpeak Beta Client and I've seen a warning informing me that configuration was deprecated.
    I've clicked on link and I've seen :
    That means, that if you're not using SRV records already and are currently relying on TSDNS to resolve names to IP addresses and ports, clients will no longer be able to connect to these servers in the future.

Just for informations : Do you know that some ISP defaults DNS can't resolve SRV records?
    It was the case for Bouygues Telecom Landline in France until I inform them of the problem, it's the case for an internet provider in Belgium, Hungary (I've forgotten their name) and Sunrise Cellular in Switzerland.
    And I think in others countries it same. Don't ask me why.

I know that SRV resolving is a good thing but I think force it isn't good for all peoples. 3.0.19.4 already have a good resolution system, in good order.
    Or put a little DNS client in TeamSpeak Client (and keep it protected with high availability) to avoid this problem.

Will you react about this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
    Last edited by Energeek; October 2nd, 2016 at 10:31 PM.

TSDNS (allow use without SRV) Back

I dont want TSDNS to be removed its a nice feature when you use a domain provider that doesnt allow you to set up srv records e.g freenom. Why do you want to remove a feature thats included since 2011 and has never caused any problems at all.
    Last edited by dante696; October 31st, 2016 at 08:33 AM. Reason: merged

Hi Florain,

We want to remove non srv tsdns lookups, because they are slowing down the initial connection to ts3 servers. This is particularly noticeable on mobile clients.
    The problem is that if tsdns is not used on a domain, that in the current (soon to be old) implementation, the client first has to look up 3 ip addresses for the (sub) domains, then contact potentially all 3 of those and wait for a certain time to be sure that there was no tsdns server running there. This slows down the connection algorithm a lot. In the new algortihm, we assume that if the srv record (of which there is only 1) is found, tsdns servers do run there. The reverse is more important. If the srv entry for tsdns does not exist, we do not have to do anything else. 2 extra dns lookups and 3 tcp connections/timeouts saved.

Any modern decent dns provider allows srv records. There are enough registars that have srv records for a few euros a year. Even better, use srv records for your ts3 servers directly (_ts3._udp.domain.name.you.want)

United-domains for example sells almost every TLD and should be one of the major registrars, but only supports A/AAAA, MX and TXT...

Then do not use them, use a better registar

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    United-domains for example sells almost every TLD and should be one of the major registrars, but only supports A/AAAA, MX and TXT...
    I bought several domains there. While they do not offer an interface to set SRV records, they'll set them up for you in no time when you send them a quick email.

Quote Originally Posted by nwerensteijn View Post
    Hi Florain,

We want to remove non srv tsdns lookups, because they are slowing down the initial connection to ts3 servers. This is particularly noticeable on mobile clients.
    The problem is that if tsdns is not used on a domain, that in the current (soon to be old) implementation, the client first has to look up 3 ip addresses for the (sub) domains, then contact potentially all 3 of those and wait for a certain time to be sure that there was no tsdns server running there. This slows down the connection algorithm a lot. In the new algortihm, we assume that if the srv record (of which there is only 1) is found, tsdns servers do run there. The reverse is more important. If the srv entry for tsdns does not exist, we do not have to do anything else. 2 extra dns lookups and 3 tcp connections/timeouts saved.

Any modern decent dns provider allows srv records. There are enough registars that have srv records for a few euros a year. Even better, use srv records for your ts3 servers directly (_ts3._udp.domain.name.you.want)

Wait.. you guys are removing your own TeamSpeak DNS?

Even better, use srv records for your ts3 servers directly (_ts3._udp.domain.name.you.want)

I'm confused isn't that the only way to host a srv record through your host? Is there another?

We are not removing TSDNS. But we are removing one of the ways the client can find it. TSDNS is found through either A dns records, or a _tsdns SRV record. We are deprecating the A record method.

See this for a generic explanation about SRV records for TeamSpeak: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/ind...ns-srv-records

See this for an explanation of what is changing: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/ind...ith-client-310

We do recommend that instead of using TSDNS, you use SRV records to directly identify all your ts3 servers, without using TSDNS.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    I bought several domains there. While they do not offer an interface to set SRV records, they'll set them up for you in no time when you send them a quick email.
    Too late. I'm now using the FreeDNS service of Namecheap. Seems to work well so far.
    If someone needs a nameserver, this list is quite nice.

We are not removing TSDNS. But we are removing one of the ways the client can find it. TSDNS is found through either A dns records, or a _tsdns SRV record. We are deprecating the A record method.

See this for a generic explanation about SRV records for TeamSpeak: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/ind...ns-srv-records

See this for an explanation of what is changing: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/ind...ith-client-310

We do recommend that instead of using TSDNS, you use SRV records to directly identify all your ts3 servers, without using TSDNS.
    Have you read my thread? http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/127339-TSDNS-update
    I specify that many DNS servers can NOT resolve SRV records. Please take this post in consideration. DO NOT FORCE TSDNS VIA SRV RECORD.
    Last edited by Energeek; October 30th, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

See the list I posted.

Really... Do you think that all people will change their networks parameters just for TeamSpeak? Some people have restrictions (professionnal computer, not admin, ...) and some of defaults ISP's DNS servers don't resolve SRV records. It's a problem and not TeamSpeak problem, I'm OK with that. But by forcing SRV resolving, TeamSpeak will loose many users... I don't want see that.
    Another example... How do you change DNS resolvers in your mobile? Don't say "Use a VPN" because I will laugh...
    See my thread, you will understand why I'm against forcing SRV resolving.

Even if you posted a list of NameServer hosters (and thank to you), the fact is some people (clients) can NOT resolve SRV records. The problem isn't server-side but client-side (unless they change their default resolvers by 8.8.8.8... but like I've said, some people can't do this for multiple reason or are scared by changing networks parameters).

We don't care if resolving take many time, we want that after the resolution procedure (as long as it is) TeamSpeak works for everyone. Regardless of the ISP, regardless of the DNS server.

TeamSpeak for everyone. Without head hitting against a wall for noobs.

The reason why we decided this, is because it benefits a larger group of users. Not searching for tsnds on 2 or 3 A/AAAA records (in addition to SRV) helps make the client connect quicker to servers.

and some of defaults ISP's DNS servers don't resolve SRV records.
    I have an ISP that still does not give me ipv6 addresses. But the rest of the internet is not waiting for my ISP. Some TeamSpeak 3 users still use Windows XP, but we can not keep supporting them, because that means we can not integrate new technologies into TeamSpeak that are not supported on XP.
    In the same way, we can not wait for ISPs to supply functions that are considered basic in this century. Complain to your ISP about their DNS servers.

In the end this is a numbers games. At TeamSpeak we do not like to play it, but some times we need to.

TeamSpeak can work just fine without SRV dns records and even without TSDNS. You can always just enter an A/AAAA record in your dns system and resolve that. Of course then you need to enter a port number if it is not the default port.

The reason why we decided this, is because it benefits a larger group of users. Not searching for tsnds on 2 or 3 A/AAAA records (in addition to SRV) helps make the client connect quicker to servers.
    What is it better for a larger group of users? It seems if a SRV records was found before searching A records, client will connect to TeamSpeak registered behind SRV record. No?
    There's no problem with 3.0.19 versions, like with 3.0.18 versions. So what is real reason to remove TSDNS reachable by A records?
    And why keeping TSDNS if people can directly put TeamSpeak server informations via _ts3 SRV Records?

Note that we try to do all dns resolves at the same time. If we waited for each dns response, then try to see if we can contact a ts3server/tsnds server there, it would cause a massive delay. In the new situation we do 2 or 3 less dns queries which is helpfull for mobile devices on mobile connections.

If your ts3 server does not have an srv record (tsdns or client) it would then try to contact tsdns servers on domains that might not have tsdns servers running. This is a huge waste of time.

Only after this, we can connect to ts3server on the whole domain name.

We save connection time, especially on mobile devices

Thread Information