Forum

Complete guide on how to ddos protect your teamspeak 3 server

Hi, i've noticed that alot of people buy expensive servers to host their ts3 server on just because they need that ddos protection, instead of wasting 15$ on a ddos protected VPS you can use a 3$ server but still have 100% uptime. Let me explain this. (I will be using advertising removed trough this guide)
    You will be using a UDP Reverse Proxy, this will hide your real server IP to your ts3 server. When you buy a UDP Reverse Proxy you will enter your IP + Port, e.g "123.456.789.123:9987", and after you've purchased you will get a proxy IP + Port, e.g "example.com:1234". You can connect to your teamspeak using that IP instead, just make sure to hide your IP. There is no way to find your real IP using UDP Reverse Proxy, and if they ddos your proxy IP the attack will be redirected to (in this case) *advertisement removed* server which is extremely strong and can handle it.

Follow these steps
    1. Set your destination IP + Port (the IP & port to your ts3 server)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1faf1312c68aa20f6512ed7299f80d4c.png 
Views:	464 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	14547

2. After you've entered your details and purchased you will get a proxy IP + Port, eg "example.com:1234"

3. And now you are ready to connect to your server using it.

This method is 100% working and the reason why I used *advertisement removed* as an example is because I am using it for my teamspeak3 server.
    Any questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chris; November 29th, 2016 at 08:49 AM.

Interesting. I didn't realize that there are companies who offer udp redirects. Until now, I only saw tcp (actually: only http) redirects.
    More interesting is to see how it actually behaves when a ddos occurs, because udp has less options to evade attacks than http - you have to sit out the ddos on the same ip address, for example. For http redirects, only light-weight redirection traffic has to go through the ddos'd address, but for udp redirects the whole application traffic must go through the proxy.

But if your ts3 port is attacked directly and flooded with junk data, I doubt this service can filter this. No filter can distinguish for every udp packet if it is a valid ts3 packet (and accept) or junk (and drop), if the attack has distributed sources from all over the world.

By the way, this provider is brand new. It's as if it has just hatched. The Domain was registered exactly one month ago according to whois. Their ssl certificate is 2 weeks old. It probably doesn't have big experience. The "Reviews" on their website look generic and made up (what reviews can you expect for a provider that new).

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    Interesting. I didn't realize that there are companies who offer udp redirects. Until now, I only saw tcp (actually: only http) redirects.
    More interesting is to see how it actually behaves when a ddos occurs, because udp has less options to evade attacks than http - you have to sit out the ddos on the same ip address, for example. For http redirects, only light-weight redirection traffic has to go through the ddos'd address, but for udp redirects the whole application traffic must go through the proxy.

But if your ts3 port is attacked directly and flooded with junk data, I doubt this service can filter this. No filter can distinguish for every udp packet if it is a valid ts3 packet (and accept) or junk (and drop), if the attack has distributed sources from all over the world.

By the way, this provider is brand new. It's as if it has just hatched. The Domain was registered exactly one month ago according to whois. Their ssl certificate is 2 weeks old. It probably doesn't have big experience. The "Reviews" on their website look generic and made up (what reviews can you expect for a provider that new).
    You can probably ask them for trial and try it out.

that's really really interesting indeed. thank you so much for this detailed post!!!

you've saved a lot of my headaches and this means a lot for me because only celecoxib makes them go away.
    Last edited by Bearld; March 14th, 2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearld View Post
    that's really really interesting indeed. thank you so much for this detailed post!
    No problem, I just thought it is a great way to stay ddos protected.

I would guess this is plain advertising, as this user hasn't posted anything else before. Also, Bearld's post seem suspicious (registered just to post that post).

Also, I'm not sure where on earth people pay 15 dollars a month per a DDoS protected VPS. Application-level DDoS or traffic directed to your port will not be blocked. If people try to DDoS some other service and randomly use your port, you're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    I would guess this is plain advertising, as this user hasn't posted anything else before. Also, Bearld's post seem suspicious (registered just to post that post).

Also, I'm not sure where on earth people pay 15 dollars a month per a DDoS protected VPS. Application-level DDoS or traffic directed to your port will not be blocked. If people try to DDoS some other service and randomly use your port, you're out of luck.
    You can contact an admin and confirm that I don't have anything to do with Bearld. I have been using this on my teamspeak3 server for 1 week now, I earlier got hit by large attacks as I am running a big teamspeak server for my gaming community. I have been online since I started using this UDP Reverse Proxy.

Thread Information