Forum

Improving the permission system

Hi, I'm currently running a licensed 256slot privately hosted teamspeak 3 server, and have been using teamspeak since the early editions of ts2.
    I, and my users, currently favor teamspeak over other solutions on the market, so I really don't want to change to a different provider to solve my problems/issues.

Because of the amount of groups and or clans that we have using our teamspeak server, we have found that the permission system is severely lacking. The power-based system and the use of passwords for channels, doesn't suit our need, and so I created a simple bot that completely replaced the base permission system, and instead runs of our website group system. Basically, it intercepts every request to change channel, runs the request against our external group system, and returns a boolean that signals if the user is allowed to access said channel, if not they are moved to their previous location.
    This has a couple of downfalls, including latency. And, as our client base has grown over the last year, the bot is starting to have some severe problems keeping up, leading to both bot and server crashes and in some cases, the bots fail-safe simply denies any channel changes.

My question is double sided. I would like to know, if I might have missed something in the current permission system(perhaps an update at some point changed something) that would suit our needs - Setting a group to a specific set of channels, passwords and "power-rank" is not feasible.
    Or if I could, essentially recreate the server application by getting my hands on the Teamspeak 3 SDK ?

Why don't you simply use the permissions i_channel_join_power on users (in a channel group or as a channel-client permission) and i_channel_needed_join_power on channels?
    This would not allow the user to switch in first place and there is no need to move user back to old channel.

You could use the SDK to create your own server and permission system, But only SDK clients can connect to this server.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    Why don't you simply use the permissions i_channel_join_power on users (in a channel group or as a channel-client permission) and i_channel_needed_join_power on channels?
    This would not allow the user to switch in first place and there is no need to move user back to old channel.
    The problem with this, is the hassle of having to give a user channel rights for every single channel it should be allowed into.
    E.g 10 new users per day, that is 10 users times amount of channels which I, or another staff member, would need to grant access to, each day. The ability to grant a single group to a single user and have the rest done automatically is what I'm after. The other solution simply gets too annoying after a few days.

One way I have been thinking of, which would fix such a problem, would be with the use of a bot, where you just run a command such as "set {user id} {group id}" and the bot then sorts the channel permissions based on a schema set externally.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    You could use the SDK to create your own server and permission system, But only SDK clients can connect to this server.
    Sad to hear that.

Thread Information