Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Nope, the domain is _tsdns._tcp.theabandoned.us. Not sure about your trailing dots. The target should end on a dot as well (or neither, depends on your ISP).
    However, why would you want to use TSDNS anyway? Are you running multiple servers you distinguish only by port? That's the only reason to use SRV TSDNS at all. In all other cases, TSDNS is inferior to SRV TS3.

I only used TSDNS way back when so people didn't need to know the port. How would I set it up to not need TSDNS?

Use _ts3._udp.theabandoned.us as domain and adjust port and target to your server's. Note: Target must be a domain name. See FAQ and stuff.

So TSDNS is no longer needed then? I read the FAQ and it said to use port 41144 where I had used 9987 before. Leaving the client as-is (no port)I get Failed to resolve hostname 'ts.theabandoned.us' when I try to connect. Here's the new screenshot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	14916

Quote Originally Posted by RKramkowski View Post
    So TSDNS is no longer needed then? I read the FAQ and it said to use port 41144 where I had used 9987 before. Leaving the client as-is (no port)I get Failed to resolve hostname 'ts.theabandoned.us' when I try to connect. Here's the new screenshot:

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	14916
    well if you want to use a subdomain then you'd have to create the SRV record on such. The entry(Name in your screenshot it seems) would have to be _ts3._udp.ts.theabandoned.us in that case. The port is also wrong, it would have to be whatever port your TS3 server is using. So for example 9987 if it were using the default port.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

I'm missing something. Previously I had a CNAME defined for ts.theabandoned.us under theabandoned.us. I changed that to a SRV record. So do I need the CNAME, too? As of now, I have no subdomains defined under theabandoned.us.

Quote Originally Posted by RKramkowski View Post
    I'm missing something. Previously I had a CNAME defined for ts.theabandoned.us under theabandoned.us. I changed that to a SRV record. So do I need the CNAME, too? As of now, I have no subdomains defined under theabandoned.us.
    No you don't.
    The thing is you need the SRV record to be on whatever you enter in the client. So if you enter my.awesome.ts.server.mydomain.tld in the client to connect then the SRV record would need to be _ts3._udp.my.awesome.ts.server.mydomain.tld.
    If you create (like you did) _ts3._udp.theabandoned.us then you will need to enter theabandoned.us in the client to connect.

Since you want ts.theabandoned.us you'll have to create SRV record as _ts3._udp.ts.theabandoned.us otherwise the client will not look for it when connecting to ts.theabandoned.us.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

So since I don't have an actual ts.theabandoned.us subdomain, is my "target" theabandoned.us? or ts.theabandoned.us?

Fill in this form:

What do you want your users to have to enter? theabandoned.us or ts.theabandoned.us?
    What is your server's address?
    What is your server's port?
    Is the server running the website? (obviously not)

ts.theabandoned.us
    9987 (listening port)
    No website

Just point an A record from ts.theabandoned.us to 38.130.215.210. No need to use SRV at all.

Name:  how-to-dns.png
Views: 281
Size:  56.2 KB

Thanks for all your help.. between your help and my own research of the different kinds of records, I got it working!

It is still better to use SRV record. IMO.

ToDo List

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post

Name:	how-to-dns.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	14921
    Correct diagram would be:

1. Do you have a registered domain name you manage?
    Yes - use SRV record(s).
    No - IP:port is your only option.

Setting up an SRV record is just unnecessary work in some cases, as you need an A/AAAA record for it anyway.

Thread Information