Forum

Auto switch to defined user if server is runned as root in linux

Hello. This suggestion is directly inspired by mumble.
    Murmur server has an option which cause server to auto switch to defined user account in case that server is started under root.
    Can you also add that option to teamspeak? Thanks for answer!

What is the use of this?

Why are users using root account anyway?
    This account is for system maintenance and not for daily usage.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    What is the use of this?

\__(ツ)__/
    Sometimes i manage my system using root and sometimes i forget that i start the server using root.
    Last edited by KIDINK^; February 1st, 2017 at 08:18 AM.

I don't see a use for that either.
    I'm restarting my TS server every few months (and that is only because I'm a developer), so reading the warning message and restarting the server with the correct user shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    What is the use of this?

Seeing that TS had various security problems in the past, privilage dropping might be a good idea.

If your run a server, you should be able to notice the message that appears on stderr. If not, you deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    If your run a server, you should be able to notice the message that appears on stderr. If not, you deserve that.
    You still should drop root privileges if you don't need them.

We should deny to start, but this also makes no sense in case user want to use root.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Make a -allowroot parameter or so. And only state it somewhere in the readme, not in the error message.

I will forward all suggestions to our developers.
    We will discuss about it and report back what will happen (if something will happen).

Well, the unix mantra is: "root knows what he is doing". That means, the Teamspeak server is already working correctly. Almost. The message that the Teamspeak server should not run as root violates that mantra. If you're going to violate it anyway, make it simply refusing to start if it detects that it is running as id 0.

But that would not solve any problem. You should not run a server as root, but that's only a security problem, not an operational problem. People don't notice any difference.

You would have a huge bunch of "I updated the server, and now it refuses to start" message in the forum. And what's more, a huge amount of Teamspeak servers not starting any more, because the admin isn't able to update its self-made start mechanism. Many admins will try to rollback to one of the previous server versions, half of them destroying the server that way. Even if the admins were able to start the server under a user instead of root, they are required to chown the database and channel file directory structure. This is also a huge can of worms for many admins, who are only used to point and click.

If you provide some kind of "-allowroot" switch, these admins would add that switch and all is exactly as before: no problem solved. So this switch is useless.

To really solve that kind of problem, consider this:

- provide a "switch to user" script that can be called by the admin to properly chown and chmod all Teamspeak-related files - a thing that is usually done by a package. Or
    - provide an install script and a modern start mechanism for the common distributions that works out of the box. A thing that us usually done by a package. Or
    - provide a package for the common distributions like this for Fedora/CentOS/RHEL: http://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/7...0-1-1-i386-rpm Use mine, I claim no copyright. Or
    - ignore help requests from clueless server operators in the forum and point them to professional hosters instead. This would in fact solve many problems, because the users that are victims to the clueless operators get help as well, because they get a properly operated server.

Thread Information