Forum

I use master password. Out the blue now password is permanently incorrect?!

On the latest beta, I closed it, because I was having problems getting the ability to key up in a new tab I had open which is defaulted to non-speech. So I closed the client, opened it again, type in my password and it says it is wrong. I tried 10 times, slower and slower to make sure I was not rubber fingering it in. I even tried typing it in the run command box and copying that and pasting it into the password box and it still did not work. I had to resort to a backup of my userdata from a few months back to get all my bookmarks and identities and config all back.

Is this reproducable? I also had problems before the beta was relased but our developers managed to fix all of them.

As backup: The client creates one of the settings.db and secrets.conf when you update your client from 3.0.x to 3.1
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Angry I use master password. Out the blue now password is permanently incorrect?!

I am unable to get my client running. My password has not changed in years. This is not the first time this has happened. Last time I had to resort to using backed up old app data which I am going to have to do if this continues to fail. I go to load TS and it asks for my master password. I enter it and it says it's wrong. Try again, try again, try aghain. Now I get a message asking if I want to start fresh or retry. I retry and it screws up again. This is really getting on my nerves. I have not done anything different. There was an update, maybe when I actually get around to doing an update it screws up master passwords on load time?
    Last edited by dante696; February 2nd, 2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: merged

We can't reproduce it that the password breaks when you update from 3.0.19 or 3.1 to version 3.1.0.1
    We did test with passwords like wsAkkT7b^&%L$HCby/L9O\gzS3%.

We don't see any relation for client update 3.1 to 3.1.0.1. The part in the DB wheere your password is stored wasn't touched.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Well I had to resort to using copies of my old appdata. Then I set all my mic devices again and get everything ready. I close TS, open it again and boom... password permanently fails. The password is a random alpha-numeric 8 digit password, nothing fancy.

So you did not update and it broke?

Is this what you've done?
    You inserted an old copy (i guess from 3.0.19.4) -> Started with a master password -> Setup Capture settings -> Used and Closed the client -> Started it again = Your master password is not accepted any longer?

I have had the same appdata backup of TSClient for probably 2 years. I did an upgrade to the new TS, which I assumed translates everything and upgrade formatting and settings or what ever and then the settings file becomes the new version of TS settings. Everything is fine, but when I close it and reload it my master password does not work any longer. So I delete TSClient folder from AppData and put my backed up one back in there, it comes up I fix audio settings and things, close it, open it and it's messed up again. I had to repeat the process and as soon as I had all my settings set, then remove the master password. Now it does not have any password and I can use TS. But now I worry what it I add a master password again? Is it going to jack everything up all over again?

Ok. So TS has been working great so today I backed up my app data fresh and then set a master password, closed TS and opened it. The password fails every single time I try. I had to revert to my backup.

I just spent ages, prior to actually posting this. I removed all my identities, all my bookmarks, all contacts, all bindings and audio profiles. Everything I can possibly remove from the menus or settings. I open up the settings database in notepad++ and I find my full private key for my primary identity... So, unfortunately I cannot share this because where there is one unexpected piece of personal information I cannot trust that there aren't more.

For me the formula is simple. Load up TS, add a master password, save, Exit. Open and enter the password and it fails. This only started occurring maybe 2 or 3 versions ago. I never had any issues prior. But prior to this, reverting to my backed up appdata TSClient folder solved it and the password would work. Now even the backup fails after first opening and then closing. So something is clearly wrong with this latest version.

I am going to do a test with a fresh app data with no trace of my stuff and see if it happens as well.

A fresh install was fine. Opened, typed the password and it was a success. So this is some kind of issue with a past database file. I do not have time right now or links on hand to go testing going from one version, upgrading, testing, upgrading, testing, upgrading, testing etc but I would recommend your developers do this because something is clearly wrong since I can replicate this every single time and the password, which has not changed in several years, always comes back as incorrect.

Exclamation TS3 Client destroys Settings with Master Password

Hello,
    I've had it on windows and linux now:
    Randomly Teamspeak doesn't accept my Master Password anymore.
    When I restore a Backup of my Settings.db it all works again.
    I've had this previously around christmas on my linux Box, and now under windows just today.
    Used ts3 yesterday and today it didn't want to accept my password anymore. Restored an backup from last week and all works again.
    I can assure that I didn't change the password at all.
    Last edited by dante696; February 27th, 2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: merged

We still struggle to reproduce this or to find any reason at all for that problem/bug.
    We have no explanation how the master password could break when you stop and start the client.
    We also could not trigger this problem when we killed the client.

You could help us in case you still have the broken database.
    Please attach the database and your master password and send it to me in a private message.
    We are not interested in your personal data and will only use the database to analyse your problem.

As a workaround for yourself you could do following:
    1. Use the backup of your settings.db to restore all your data
    2. Create or/and login into a myTeamSpeak account (account can be created under Tools -> Options -> MyTeamSpeak)
    3. Move your Bookmarks/folders, identities, hotkey profiles, Whisper lists from Local to Synchronized
    4. Stop the client and then save this working backup somewhere.
    5. Now delete the settings.db and then start your client
    6. Login into your account and use the synced items (or move them back to local and logout again)

Exclamation Master Password invalid after update

Today, after updating teamspeak yesterday it stopped working again!
    It was working after the update but now it stopped again.
    Now I've the following files: settings.db, settings_7.db,settings_6.db, settings.db_pre-sync_11.01.17_11.54.57

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    We still struggle to reproduce this or to find any reason at all for that problem/bug.
    We have no explanation how the master password could break when you stop and start the client.
    We also could not trigger this problem when we killed the client.

You could help us in case you still have the broken database.
    Please attach the database and your master password and send it to me in a private message.
    We are not interested in your personal data and will only use the database to analyse your problem.
    I'm sorry but I won't upload my DB nor release my password. That's why I'm using the password function..
    Even more when not even your forum login is TLS secured, lol

Try some fuzzing, how about that ?
    And get a TLS cert, this is laughable..

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    As a workaround for yourself you could do following:
    1. Use the backup of your settings.db to restore all your data
    2. Create or/and login into a myTeamSpeak account (account can be created under Tools -> Options -> MyTeamSpeak)
    3. Move your Bookmarks/folders, identities, hotkey profiles, Whisper lists from Local to Synchronized
    4. Stop the client and then save this working backup somewhere.
    5. Now delete the settings.db and then start your client
    6. Login into your account and use the synced items (or move them back to local and logout again)
    I'm not very fond of using any cloud synchronization which is essentially a blackbox of where data goes and in which form.

Name:  Unbenannt.png
Views: 127
Size:  23.7 KB
    Last edited by User101; March 23rd, 2017 at 04:05 PM.

We understand that you do not want to share your data here or use myTeamSpeak. But we could not reproduce this till today.
    The only other thing I can offer you is a mail address where you can send/share the from us requested information.

Thread Information