Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

TS3 SRV Record Not Working

Here is the TeamSpeak 3 SRV record that I'm using to redirect connections to my server:

Code:
    _ts3._udp.ts3.unigamia.com.	1200	IN	SRV	
    Priority: 0
    Weight: 5
    Port: 9987
    Target: 54.209.51.53
    However, the SRV record does not work at all. I contacted my host and they said everything is set up correctly on their end. Is there something wrong with my SRV configuration?

For a very long time Teamspeak accepted NON STANDARD SRV records. They fixed that some releases ago. Now, you need to fix your SRV record to also be standard compliant. The target of a SRV must be a "host"! So you need to change to an A or AAAA record. IP adresses and CNAMEs are not allowed as targets of a SRV record.

Could you link me to a guide or tell me what the format of my A or AAAA record for redirecting my TeamSpeak 3 IP is?

These are the references to SRV records that I could find in the changelog:

Code:
    === Client Release 3.0.9 23 Oct 2012
    * Extended logging for querying TSDNS SRV records.

=== Client Release 3.0.8 16 Jul 2012
    + Added support for SRV records when resolving domain names. Format for a SRV
      record for a TS3 server is: 
      "_ts3._udp.name TTL IN SRV priority weight port target"
      It is also possible to add a SRV record for a TSDNS server for a domain, the
      format for this is:
      "_tsdns._tcp.name TTL IN SRV priority weight port target"
      The priority when resolving is: (1) _ts3 SRV record, (2) _tsdns SRV record,
      (3) TSDNS, (4) DNS
    I see nothing about TeamSpeak 3 being standardized to use A or AAAA records. Do I need to download and install TSDNS?

This was a bug which got fixed in 3.1-beta1, but is otherwise not related to TS at all. Information can be found on the IETF website.

I asked my domain host to look at it, and they said the SRV record was as correct as it could be and it's on TeamSpeak's side. Now I'm here and you're saying it's completely unrelated to TeamSpeak and it's on my hosting side. Which is it? Please tell me how to fix it instead of linking me to an RFC. You didn't even quote the relevant text in the RFC for me to tell what you're talking about.
    Last edited by PatPeter; March 19th, 2017 at 09:16 AM.

Change domain host quickly... a domain host who doesn't know RFCs and how a DNS SRV record should look isn't worth to be called "hoster". Just believe us, your SRV record is wrong and needs to be fixed. All you (and your inept hoster) need to know can be found in this rfc: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2782.txt

As said before... The target of a SRV must be an address record (A or AAAA).

Edit: An well, because I'm in my gracious mood...
    Your SRV record should look like:
    Code:
    _ts3._udp.ts3.unigamia.com.	1200	IN	SRV 0 5 9987 ec2-54-209-51-53.compute-1.amazonaws.com.

Thread Information