Forum

TeamSpeak≥ Server MariaDB

Hey guys,
    wanted to config my teamspeak server with mariadb instead of the local sqlite. I dumped the sqlite database and imported it in my mariadb server. Then I created the ts3server.ini and ts3db_mariadb.ini files. If i try to execute the server now, I'll get a clean one instead of my originial server.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

ts3server.ini

machine_id=1
    default_voice_port=9987
    voice_ip=0.0.0.0
    licensepath=
    filetransfer_port=30033
    filetransfer_ip=0.0.0.0
    query_port=10011
    query_ip=0.0.0.0
    query_ip_whitelist=query_ip_whitelist.txt
    query_ip_blacklist=query_ip_blacklist.txt
    dbplugin=ts3db_mariadb
    dbpluginparameter=ts3db_mariadb.ini
    dbsqlpath=sql/
    dbsqlcreatepath=create_mariadb/
    dblogkeepdays=90
    logpath=logs
    logquerycommands=0
    dbclientkeepdays=30

ts3db_mariadb.ini

[config]
    host=127.0.0.1
    port=3306
    username=teamspeak
    password=*********
    database=teamspeak

It's not trivial to migrate the database. It's also not supported by Teamspeak staff in any way. If you have trouble with a migrated database, you don't get any support. You will most probably run into problems later, if you do it. There are several details which may invalidate any imported database, for example the character set. If you have names with non-ASCII characters in your database, problems may arise.

I was able to successfully migrate a small test server, because I was curious, but I would not operate such a server.
    I did this:
    - let the Teamspeak Server create an empty database on the Mysql/Mariadb server. This is to have the mysql-specific database definitions (CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX).
    - delete the created default server instance that was created and empty all database tables. Keep the tables themselves.
    - produce a sqlite database dump and remove any data definition statements (CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX). Leave only INSERT INTO statements.
    - change the syntax of the dump to be mariadb-compliant
    - import the dump on the mariadb server

And the server starts and you find all stuff (channels, permissions) from the sqlite database. If it operates well, I cannot say.

As far as I know the only supported way to migrate a server from one database type to the other is with creating a snapshot on the old server and import it on the new server. YaTQA may help tremendously, because it can export/import channel (sub)trees.

But usually you don't want to use a mariadb database. This is only useful for huge ATHP hosters. It enables them to move servers between machines freely and to perform centralized backups. For everyone else, it is just overhead and you create a second point of failure.
    Last edited by Schlumpi; March 21st, 2017 at 03:35 PM.

Why do you want to waste performance by migrating from SQLite to MariaDB?

I was once contacted by someone who in hiw mail told me how great MariaDB was, but he couldn't use the client database in YaTQA. Turned out his MariaDB took many seconds for just the first 500 clients. Even my super slow and super small vServer could do that in far below 1 second. Of course, MariaDB can work. But as Schlumpi said, it's a new point of failure.

Thread Information