Forum


Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    November 2013
    Location
    https://community.teamspeak.com/u/brady_the/
    Posts
    333

    Improvement | Options menu, Addons section

    I have following suggestions for the aforementioned 'Addons' menu. They stem from spending too much time in the settings, figuring out how to manipulate the lists to my liking. Priority on all of those suggestions is low.

    1) Rename 'Enabled' button into 'Disable', rename 'Disabled' button into 'Enable'. It might sound trivial, and I might be the only one irritated by that, but the current naming goes against the name logic of pretty much every button in TeamSpeak (OK, Cancel, Apply, Less, More, Logout, etc), some even in Addons (Reload, Uninstall) displaying an action that is going to be applied, rather than the current status.

    2) Filter options. Alphabetically sorted is great, and again, I am probably an exception but I have installed a lot of addons, and do enable/disable these addons quite frequently. Being able to filter by status (Enabled/Disabled) and filter by addon name(, addon author, and addon description (optional)) through a Search (for example similar to File Browser, Main Window Search) would be really nice.

    3) Minimal View (not sure how easily achievable that is). I am not sure how it looks on 4k resolution, but on 1080p the list of addons is getting crowded really fast. I suggest showing a minimal view by default, and expand to the current view on "select/hover/focus".
    Name:  AddonMinimalView.png
Views: 154
Size:  42.7 KB

    I could understand that the last two suggestions might go against the idea behind the Addon menu design decisions. In that case I would suggest something comparable to the 'Advanced permissions system' option.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Idar-Oberstein
    Posts
    163
    1) The reason behind this was that there was supposed to be an icon for a toggle within the button, with the two on/off states.
    Unfortunately, those icons didn't work out well with the QButton (dimensions, ratio and such).
    With this icon togehter, it'd have been weird otherwise (icon showing "on" state with "disable" next to it).
    The status quo is indeed not ideal.

    2) I like it. Cannot tell when or if at this point though.

    3) I like it, however I think a button with slide-out will work better. Hover-resizing would probably be a bit jumpy when moving the mouse over such a list, select/focus (without button) would assume knowledge, as there's no incentive to establish a select/focus per se.

    Generally speaking, that widget is still in demand of some more ux/ui polishing, which I pushed back for other duties and the fact that in retrospect I'd done the fundamentals differently (i.e. not QWidget-based). Hence, the decision of polishing the existing versus finding the time for a quick do-over (which would result in faster polishing once done) is still on the table.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    November 2013
    Location
    https://community.teamspeak.com/u/brady_the/
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    1) The reason behind this was that there was supposed to be an icon for a toggle within the button, with the two on/off states.
    Unfortunately, those icons didn't work out well with the QButton (dimensions, ratio and such).
    With this icon togehter, it'd have been weird otherwise (icon showing "on" state with "disable" next to it).
    The status quo is indeed not ideal.
    That makes sense, I was actually wondering why it had no such functionality.

    Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    3) I like it, however I think a button with slide-out will work better. Hover-resizing would probably be a bit jumpy when moving the mouse over such a list, select/focus (without button) would assume knowledge, as there's no incentive to establish a select/focus per se.
    A slide-out button would be indeed a much better solution, considering the problems you mentioned. I thought about it, but it felt too "advanced" compared to the current solution, but with your explanation I understand the current state of the Addon section better now.

    Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    Generally speaking, that widget is still in demand of some more ux/ui polishing, which I pushed back for other duties and the fact that in retrospect I'd done the fundamentals differently (i.e. not QWidget-based).
    I hope this will somehow magically include "stylability" via qss. So far it was fun to manoeuvre around the challenges you guy put me up to with the Addon section. More white spots would break my heart.

    Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Brady_The; March 25th, 2017 at 12:59 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Menu Options
    By Zer0hax0r in forum General Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 29th, 2015, 07:34 AM
  2. Can't access the options menu
    By troots in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •