Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

TeamSpeak 3 blocked in the United Arab Emirates!

So since yesterday TeamSpeak 3 access was blocked for all UAE users as a part of a new policy the country is implementing (blocking all VoIP softwares until they purchase a license from the ISP), following other softwares such as Discord.

My question is, have there been any contact between the devs and the ISPs in UAE in any way yet? and most importantly, will they consider purchasing the required license? it's becoming a nightmare for gamers in UAE!

Thanks!

It's well known that VOIP software is blocked in the UAE, but this happens since ~2015 and no company can do anything against that as far as I know.

What license are you talking about and why would we have to buy them from an ISP?
    Last edited by dante696; August 18th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

UAE TS3 Block Investigation

Hello everybody, for those of you who are not aware Teamspeak 3 was recently blocked within the United Arab Emirates. I decided to do some looking into the problem and have come to some conclusions which may help the developers.

First of all, this is not a simple port block, which I have confirmed by sending other data through the 9987 port which TS uses by default with no issues. They are running deep packet inspection in this instance and they seem to be looking for a specific string, which is "TS3INIT1e"Y$z]" and is sent in plain text thus making it easy for it to be detected.

In order to test this I set up a linux VPS running tcpdump on the 9987 port. I was then able to send packets of varying lenghts without issue so long as they did not contain the aformentioned string. However, as soon as a packet is sent with that string, it gets picked up by the packet inspection and does not make it to the VPS. All other traffic from the source to the VPS are then blocked for a period of roughly 30 seconds before it can come through again. This means that once the initial packet containing the string is sent, all of the following packets get blocked as well, despite not containing the string which prevents your client from connecting to the server.

The interesting here then, is that packets can get through on the port, so long as they do not contain the string the PI is looking for. As such, I discovered that if I use a VPN to connect to the server, I can then disconnect the VPN and stay connected to the TS server and talk indefinitely without any problems.

It is worth noting that I have voice encryption globally on for my server, however turning it off briefly did not seem to result in any issues.

So to the conclusion, it seems to a layman like me that the developers could easily get around this block by simply encrypting the initial packets which are sent in order to establish the connection. This would prevent the PI from picking up on the string it is looking for and thus a connection could be made.

I really want some more educated input on this, so please do explain why this would or would not work!

Dante, The UAE requires that companies which provide VOIP services purchase a license from the government as they do not like people circumventing their Telecom Monopoly. However, the TS issue can be fixed by encrypting the initial packets which are sent when initializing the connection to a server. Please read my previous post in this thread for a thorough explanation.

Use a vpn (i recommend perfect privacy)

Florian, a VPN is not a good solution as it would significantly improve your ping while playing games. You can however, connect to the TS server using a VPN, then disconnect the VPN and still stay connected to the TS, this is what I do. However this could all be resolved if the developers changed the way in which the client connects to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip_Nils View Post
    Florian, a VPN is not a good solution as it would significantly improve your ping while playing games. You can however, connect to the TS server using a VPN, then disconnect the VPN and still stay connected to the TS, this is what I do. However this could all be resolved if the developers changed the way in which the client connects to the server.
    connecting with vpn then disconnecting the vpn doesn't seem to be working for me, i get connected to teamspeak server without issues but the moment i disconnect the vpn i still can hear my friends clearly but my voice will break badly on them for a while then it will become stable then again will break and so on, you said it works! is there anything im missing here?

Firs, my apologies for the slow reply. Connecting using a VPN and then disconnecting the VPN did indeed work without issues for me, however a friend of mine was in a similar position to you in that he would start breaking up upon disconnecting the VPN, the solution simply seems to be to give it a minute. However, this may be ISP dependent as they may implement the block differently. I am on Etisalat and have had no issues using the aforementioned work around however it may be different on Du.

Ultimately however, the best solution would be for the developers to change the way in which the TS3 client intiates the connection with a server as that is where the ISPs block it through the use of packet inspection.

Have you ever tried use a VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by poter090 View Post
    Have you ever tried use a VPN.
    The answer is yes if you would read any reply in that thread.
    Se posts #3 , #5 ,6 , #7 as an example.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Does anyone know if it is blocked in Oman ?

Thanks.

Gareth

Thread Information