Forum

SOLVED : Windows, using VPN, people can connect! However sites cannot query my server

SOLVED
    -=================-

I know that port forwarding and VPN are an extremely talked about issue however understand that my results are positive, just not perfect.

I'm running my own TS3 via Windows on a machine that is using a VPN. The TS3 ports are :
    • 9987 voice
    • 10011 query
    • 65231 transfer

I've arranged my VPN to use a different port for each at the public exit side:
    • 59954 > 9987
    • 54173 > 10011
    • 65231 > 65231

With this setup, my TS3 is reachable by other users, the icon cache and additional miscellaneous features work. We've had no issues except...
    I cannot get my server to show up on any publicaton sites, such as via the GuildLaunch widget or Teamspeak Server Status Script https://www.teamspeak3.com/teamspeak-server-status.php
    When inputting my details and then running the Live Preview test, I get the error "Unable to connect to server invalid\sserverID"
    Trouble shooting I have done :

Altered the 54173 query port entry on the Teamspeak Server Status page, to something else, for example 54174
    Result = error message (paraphrased) The ts3 server cannot be reached.

Disabled the VPN, and port forwarded internally on my router (i.e. 59954 > 9987, 10011 > 10011, 65231>65231
    Result=success

Conclusion I've come to so far is that the VPN is affecting it. The key thing I noted is that (despite the obvious), the TS3 Server Status Script page spits out the "Unable to connect to server invalid\sserverID" when the server is working (e.g. people are connected to it, using my normal VPN arrangement and forwarding[not on my router, but at VPN side]).
    Yet when I alter any of those ports(again, as a test), it cannot find the server and noone can connect - makes sense as they are not forwared on the VPN side.

And lastly, before any one asks, yes all of the permissions for virtual server features and querying (guest permissions) are setup, as is evidenced by the fact it works 100% when VPN is disabled.

Hopefully someone can assist.

Thank you
    Last edited by tester68; July 12th, 2017 at 01:10 AM. Reason: SOLVED

If that status page uses the "serverinfo" query command, and it uses the port=xxx parameter for serverinfo to select the virtual server, it will result in the above error message if it is told that the server is at port 59954 but actually is 9987. It will send "serverinfo port=59954" via query, but on that port no server is running.

Try to enter port 9987 as voice port on that web site, although your exposed port is 59954. The status page will probably not try to connect to that port, it will probably use the port only to select the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlumpi View Post
    If that status page uses the "serverinfo" query command, and it uses the port=xxx parameter for serverinfo to select the virtual server, it will result in the above error message if it is told that the server is at port 59954 but actually is 9987. It will send "serverinfo port=59954" via query, but on that port no server is running.

Try to enter port 9987 as voice port on that web site, although your exposed port is 59954. The status page will probably not try to connect to that port, it will probably use the port only to select the server.
    Thank you sir, that was it.

Thread Information