Forum

Before renting a Teamspeak 3 Server what should I consider....

Hi Teamspeak-Forum, Teamspeak-users and TS-Hosters or TS-Admins,

I am going to rent me an teamspeak server so Id like to know what should I look out for cause I saw some options where I need to pay extra for making adaptions or changes to this server. (Banner and Symbols).
    So far Id like to have 25 slot server which I can administrate however I want.
    I dont want to be limited by how many channels or sub-categories I make in it or what color or symbols I use.
    Also the server should be able to run plugins.
    I was thinking of renting a whole server and then install TS-Server on it but that would max out the budget for this sole purpose, wouldnt it?
    So far Id like to know how is your experience and what would you do different now if you had to rent a new ts server?!

Id like to thank you all in advance for your patience and you tips.
    Although I am working in the IT sector myself I dont have much time to compare all the possible sellers out there for ts-servers and if a server costs like 1 more than the other I wouldnt care if the expensive one has much more freedom.
    Ok enough said, I am looking forward of you pro-tips!
    -Thanks

Renting a whole server is usually cheaper than renting a TS server. But it needs experience in using Linux. If you can maintain a server, feel free to do it. If you can't, rent a TS server.

There are no server plugins, so that won't be an issue. Running your own bots however is usually not possible if renting TS servers. You can use bots offered on a SaaS basis. AFAIK, there are (paid) offers for Sinusbot and free offers for Stefan1200's bot. Installing them on your server is not as easy as installing TS. While the TS server will run on any server out there (you should go for a whole IPv4, though), a Sinusbot will likely need some RAM.

If you want to see how it is to operate the whole server yourself, create a Linux VM on your PC or some free PC hardware and install Linux on it. A vps rented from a vps hoster is exactly this. Then install the Teamspeak server software. Without license, it is free and it will operate with 32 slots.
    Try using it yourself: connecting, administering, managing. Play with it.

If you feel fit, you either let your friends join that local server, or you rent a vps from some hoster and move the Teamspeak server there. If you feel you don't get along with that, rent a managed Teamspeak server from some authorized Teamspeak hosting provider (ATHP).

There is also a Windows Teamspeak server software, in case you are not familiar with Linux, but I don't recommend this for serious usage.

Ok so if I rent a VPS I still dont know how to get the dns-name I want. So far If I rent an TS Server I can choose a name but the ending @xxxxxx is fixed and sometimes is very annoying and long.
    If I order an VPS like here: https://www.strato.de/server/linux-vserver/ I am not sure if it comes with an fixed IP or not.
    Anyhow I have a domain for my webpage but I am not sure If I move all my stuff to the VPS would it cause conflicts with TS. I mean TS goes with Port 10011 and the wepbage only needs 80 or 443.
    What would you recommend?

With your level of knowledge in mind, I recommend you rent a Teamspeak server and no VPS if you need your Teamspeak server immediately.

Regarding the dns name of your future Teamspeak server: if you already own a domain, enter the dns administration panel of your provider and add a SRV record for the Teamspeak server. The contents of that entry is in the first answer if you google "teamspeak srv". The Teamspeak server does not need to run on the same machine as your web server.

Or just use the new server nickname feature. No need for any domains anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    Or just use the new server nickname feature. No need for any domains anymore.
    Around 15 to 20% of TeamSpeak users use a client that supports that. Good suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Around 15 to 20% of TeamSpeak users use a client that supports that. Good suggestion.
    Name:  FYCZiGH.png
Views: 538
Size:  12.0 KB

#15-20%
    #FakeNews

The folks who want to stay on the "good'old times"-build can type/bookmark the IP. Other can use the new nicksystem. That's how I handel it on my server.

I checked on TS3index. What's that statistic?
    Still, 50% is not much. I wouldn't rely on a feature not supported on XP and Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    I checked on TS3index. What's that statistic?
    Still, 50% is not much. I wouldn't rely on a feature not supported on XP and Vista.
    And I wouldn't support a OS that isn't supported by it company anymore.

Also here how to get to the stats.

http://i.imgur.com/ua1vlN6.gifv

Hint: Current user online. So checking at times wher mostly bots and afkler/never-shutting-down-their-PC guys are online isn't helpful

Thread Information