Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi again Numma. Thank you once again for your reply.
    I am the admin of the server, and whilst quiet familiar with the permissions systems etc, have no idea about the "bot" issue etc. Not ideal I know, but it's all been a big learning curve the last few months.

Is there a way that I can disable query bots? Or is there a way to disable to permission to see them from the permission systems within the server groups etc?

Thank you again.

Gareth

How do you disable "query bots". I am the admin on the server nad to the best of my knowledge, we're not running anything that could cause this.

If it helps, I'm happy to share the server details so you can see and hear for yourself.

Cheers again.

Gareth

Read and understand every document shipped with the server you installed. That is important for any admin.

That sounds interesting indeed. Pm me if you want some investigation on this

I've discovered that there is indeed a "server bot" that keeps popping in and out.. Around 20 times a minute. It only enters the default channel and leaves within a split second.

My issue now, is how to stop it. The server we use is rented, and the IP address the bot comes from is from the guys that lease the server. What doesn't help is the company that I lease it off have now removed the feature to contact them from then VIP Control panel !!!! Seriously??? Why would you do that for a paying customer???

So, I did think about blocking the IP address that the bot comes from, but i'm guessing that's going to cause some issues with the server as it's the actual server address. I don't know what else to do with it! its so annoying.

But in the meantime, thank you for your replies Numma.

Gareth

I don't think query bots can be banned. My suggestion is moving to a better host then, as they have no service anyway. (How does one end the contract when unable to contact the host? In Germany we have laws that any company must have a postal address on the website.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth1125 View Post
    My issue now, is how to stop it. The server we use is rented, and the IP address the bot comes from is from the guys that lease the server. What doesn't help is the company that I lease it off have now removed the feature to contact them from then VIP Control panel !!!! Seriously??? Why would you do that for a paying customer???
    The P in VIP is for Payer.

LOL. I can imagine...
    Whilst moving host is certainly an option... It does prompt another few questions.

Firstly, are all "backups" of TS servers the same? For example, can I back up the current server and then "paste" it into another one? Never having done it before, i'm unsure.

Lastly, if anyone has any clues to get hold of the guys that run the illegal host removed server system, i'm all ears ! ;-)

Thanks as always Numma.

Gareth
    Last edited by dante696; January 8th, 2018 at 06:14 PM.

AFAIK illegal host removed is using cracked licenses so their servers are not supported here anyway.
    Last edited by dante696; January 8th, 2018 at 06:14 PM.

And that is why you should check with the ATHP list - it helps you find hosters who you can't trust.

There are different types of backups:
    • Snapshots. Include channels, clients, permissions, server settings. You will usually neither be able to create nor restore them unless you controll the full instance on the respective end. Also note that deploying other people's snapshots on a production server poses a severe risk to whoever owns the server! Professional hosters will therefore not allow deploying snapshots they did not create themselves and from their own servers.
      • Pseudo-snapshots. For the creation part, there is a work-around in YaTQA (since v3.9-beta5c) which creates snapshots without having permissions to create them, but these snapshots may only be restored using YaTQA v3.9-beta5c or up. Restoring them with any other server or YaTQA version will freeze or corrupt the TeamSpeak server because TeamSpeak doesn't check the input for validity.

• Moving the database. Includes everything. What people should do but (according to the mails I receive about YaTQA) never do. Requires a VPS with SSH access on both ends (source and target) and requires that the target instance does not exist yet (because it is overwritten).
    • YaTQA backup thingies. Include channels, icons and groups. (YaTQA full version: Also includes other non-avatar files.) Doesn't need permissions, but isn't that easy to use and understand (because they are different features) unless you speak German and can understand this.

tl;dr: Moving a TeamSpeak server is a pain in the ass for an end user. TeamSpeak has no answer to this issue and moving to a non-VPS target has no good answer at all.

Thread Information