Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TS3 won't let computer go into screensaver

EDIT: THIS IS A BUG! Please stop editing my title. If you guys would just post my response you would see the proof. (even though there is more than enough proof already).

So I'm the admin for a gaming community and need to keep TS3 up while I'm at work so people can leave me pings or whatever for when I get home. That, and it's great to just leave TS3 open anyway. Problem is, my computer can't go into screensaver. I keep seeing stuff where people say it has to do with logitech or whatever, but I found this return interesting:

powercfg -requests
    Code:
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014&REV_1001\4&22020f06&0&0001)
    An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.
    For those of you that don't know, powercfg -requests tells you what applications or drivers that are making requests of the system that keep it from being able to enter any low power or screen saving state.

So to test this, I just changed my screen saver to 1 minute. I walked off and grabbed a drink, had a timer go off at 90 seconds and sure enough, no screen saver. So now all I'm going to do is close TS3 and run the command again:

powercfg -requests
    Code:
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    None.

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.
    I also walked away, sure enough, at exactly 60 seconds the screen saver kicked in.

So could someone please explain to me how my logitech mouse and joystick are keeping the computer from going into screen saver when the system very plainly tells me that a program with a driver using an audio stream is keeping the computer from going into screensaver?

This is a bug, is the TeamSpeak team going to address this? All I've seen is you guys trying to pawn this off on other hardware or companies, but Window's is telling us something else...
    Last edited by tethlah; June 13th, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

TBH your post is lacking in details.

What's the HD audio device?
    AMD or nvidia graphics card?
    Which version of driver for your card?
    Is TS3 on screen or minimized?
    Mic open maybe?

Why even the need for a screen saver?
    Just turn the monitor off,it won't affect anything and you'll save money.

Screensaver works fine here.

Quote Originally Posted by sTimulated View Post
    TBH your post is lacking in details.

What's the HD audio device? - Scroll Up, it's listed there...
    AMD or nvidia graphics card? - Both, at home I have AMD and work it's nVidia, happens on both (happens on LT too, it's nVidia
    Which version of driver for your card? - Latest on DTs, 2 behind on LT (but it's always done this, so it's been an issue through the last 2-3 years of updates)
    Is TS3 on screen or minimized? - Both, happens no matter how I do it, the issue ONLY goes away when TS3 is closed completely, on all systems
    Mic open maybe? - No

Why even the need for a screen saver? - Seriously? How about this is my computer and I want my screensaver to work because it's a bloody awesome screensaver. On top of that I'm paying for a voice server so people can participate in my community, and when I pay for something I don't expect the thing I'm paying for to jack up the processes of systems for the people I'm asking to use that system.
    Just turn the monitor off,it won't affect anything and you'll save money. - Ignorant statement or arrogant statement? Pick one.

That's awesome for you, share how you got it working as there are about a dozen posts on these very forums of people complaining about this (that I've found so far), not to mention at least 5 independent blog posts (those are just the ones I found when researching this issue a couple weeks back, I have no proof of any more than that), every single person in my community is having the same problem, so that covers 3 versions of Linux, 4 versions of Windows, and OS-whatever. This is a known problem to everyone except the people designing the software apparently.
    Notes are in the quote.

Try it while teamspeak is muted.
    Something that might help you : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-9ab26ddf22dd

Quote Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
    What's the HD audio device? - Scroll Up, it's listed there...
    AMD or nvidia graphics card? - Both, at home I have AMD and work it's nVidia, happens on both (happens on LT too, it's nVidia
    Which version of driver for your card? - Latest on DTs, 2 behind on LT (but it's always done this, so it's been an issue through the last 2-3 years of updates)
    Is TS3 on screen or minimized? - Both, happens no matter how I do it, the issue ONLY goes away when TS3 is closed completely, on all systems
    Mic open maybe? - No

Why even the need for a screen saver? - Seriously? How about this is my computer and I want my screensaver to work because it's a bloody awesome screensaver. On top of that I'm paying for a voice server so people can participate in my community, and when I pay for something I don't expect the thing I'm paying for to jack up the processes of systems for the people I'm asking to use that system.
    Just turn the monitor off,it won't affect anything and you'll save money. - Ignorant statement or arrogant statement? Pick one.

That's awesome for you, share how you got it working as there are about a dozen posts on these very forums of people complaining about this (that I've found so far), not to mention at least 5 independent blog posts (those are just the ones I found when researching this issue a couple weeks back, I have no proof of any more than that), every single person in my community is having the same problem, so that covers 3 versions of Linux, 4 versions of Windows, and OS-whatever. This is a known problem to everyone except the people designing the software apparently.
    I don't see your HD audio device so how about you tell me?
    All I see is the mention of a driver which states there is a stream active.
    Which is why the question about video card because video drivers run the screensaver.

"So I'm the admin for a gaming community and need to keep TS3 up while I'm at work so people can leave me pings or whatever for when I get home."

This statement seems to imply that you leave your monitor at home on.
    So if the same thing is happening on both home and work we need to know specific hardware.

"On top of that I'm paying for a voice server"
    TS3 is free.
    So your renting a server?

Isn't even a statement,it's a suggestion based upon your ambiguity.
    So if you were leaving your monitor on at home it's a totally legitimate suggestion.

Your saying all the users of your server are having the exact same problem?
    Do you all connect your card to monitor by HDMI?

Have you tried other servers to see if it happens on them?

Unless it missed your attention I'm not staff,just trying to help a fellow user.
    Thanks for the attitude,really helpful when I'm going out of my way to be of assistance.
    Take the stick out your butt and help those trying to help you or go figure it out yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by m0m0lepr0 View Post
    Try it while teamspeak is muted.
    Something that might help you : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b-9ab26ddf22dd
    I just tried on mine by having the mic transmitting continuously,screensaver still kicked in.
    The OP should maybe still give it a shot due to different hardware etc though.

I tried the mute thing, still happens. I have a few guys on TS and I had all them try, didn't fix it.

When I had everyone run powercfg, still the same process keeping it from transitioning. Close TS, it works.

Taking inventory of everyone who is on, I'm using several monitors using Display port adapters, one guy is using a single monitor with VGA, another is using 2 monitors with VGA to DVI adapter and a straight DVI-D, the other is using DVI-D for 2 monitors.

You ask if it only happens when connected to my server, no it happens when connected to any server. The issue does however, go away when not connected to any servers. So the only way I can fix it is to not connect, which then I can't help but wonder why use it if I'm not able to connect to any servers to keep my computer working as it's designed?

I just tried using HDMI to see if there is a difference, there is none. This doesn't happen with Mumble, so why is it happening with TS3? The ONLY program this is happening with is TS3. So it's TS3. Ventrilo (shudders) doesn't do it either). So it has nothing to do with being connected to an audio stream, it has something to do with the way TS3 handles being connected to an audio stream.

And yes the audio steam is still active, I called my buddy and had him talk while my screen saver was active in mumble, I could hear him through the speakers. TS3 for some reason still wont let it go into screensaver...

Ever heard the expression in tech support, start at the wall?

On a different note, for some reason there is a huge lag between when I post and I see it on the thread. I got the moderator is going to check your post message, then this morning when I hopped on there was no post, then when I just came on to answer this one it says you posted at 5am....

So found a fix.

Toms Hardware, HardwareCanucks, and Hardforum all say that it's TS3 that's the issue. It's a known issue that apparently only TS3 claims isn't a bug. They all suggest using Windows built in power handler to shut off the audio driver when it's time to go to sleep. I just confirmed that this does work.

However, for some reason, with the way TS3 handles audio streams, you can't talk when you come back, you have to restart TS3. But for me that's ok as the only reason I'm leaving it open is so people can send me messages while I'm away and I can remote into my computer and check them. As I don't have audio when remoting in, it doesn't matter. Then when I get home I'll just restart TS3 and be good to go.

Funny, everyone but the teamspeak forums say it's a known issue with TS3...

Guess if you guys want to live in no bug land, may as well censor everyone. But there's your fix.

Same problem here.... HOWEVER, this only recently started.
    "Recently" meaning past few weeks, can't be more specific because I've left TS3 running 24/7 over the years and never had this problem until as of late.

APP: TS3 v3.0.16 (x64)

Config #1: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
    Code:
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM) (PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_000B&SUBSYS_00431102&REV_03\6&3397a57
    a&0&001000E6)

AWAYMODE:
    None.
    Config #2: Realtek Integrated HD Audio
    Code:
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0900&SUBSYS_18491151&REV_1000\4
    &132e297d&0&0001)

AWAYMODE:
    None.
    Config #3: Blue Yeti Mic (with headset plugged into integrated audio jack)
    Code:
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] USB Audio Device (USB\VID_B58E&PID_9E84&MI_00\7&78cc2bf&0&0000)
    [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:
    None.
    OS BASELINE CONFIG:
    set LCD to turn off after 1 minute via windows' powercfg.cpl
    nothing running that creates an audio stream.
    test did confirm windows itself does turn off the LCD after 1 minute of inactivity.

Tool used for functionality testing
    ScreenSave 1.2.0.0
    http://www.pretentiousname.com/miscs...tml#ScreenSave
    test performed using the command "screensave.exe /delay 6 /poweroff"

all 3 configs were tested using the following methods:

TESTING BASELINE:
    nothing running that creates an audio stream
    command successfully turns LCD off, LCD stays off

TEST #1:
    winamp running, listening to live audio streamed from di.fm
    command successfully turns LCD off, LCD stays off, music still heard playing

TEST #2:
    firefox open (not maximized, just windowed), playing youtube.com video
    command successfully turns LCD off, LCD stays off, video still heard playing

TEST #3:
    teamspeak running
    command successfully turns LCD off, LCD immediately turns back on because teamspeak is running.

EDIT: Removed invalid Test #4 involving server connection, bad test results (see post farther down thread)

In an attempt at due diligence I:

ran the following 4 commands, rebooted, & retested
    Code:
    powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio" SYSTEM
    powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)" SYSTEM
    powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "USB Audio Device" SYSTEM
    powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE DRIVER "Legacy Kernel Caller" SYSTEM
    the results were the same, when TS3 was running and connected the LCD would not go down and stay down.

I also completely uninstalled & reinstalled TS3
    I renamed "%APPDATA%\TS3Client" to "%APPDATA%\TS3Client.BAK" to force TS3 to create a new profile.
    I also created a new windows user account.
    None of this had any affect on the current predicament.

I have not updated or changed any of my device drivers.
    Nothing listed under Microsoft KB976877 applies to this situation.

I also installed TS3 on a different computer at my disposal, this secondary computer did not exhibit the problems I am currently facing (I even moved the Blue Yeti mic over and tested).
    As I stated previously this problem only cropped up recently (within the past few weeks) and I only noticed it was related to / caused by teamspeak today.

Some assistance from some of you who develop Teamspeak would be appreciated since it is Teamspeak somehow triggering this problem and your knowledge far supersedes my own.

@sTimulate
    you might find this website useful in the future: http://www.pcidatabase.com/
    Last edited by drivetheory; June 16th, 2015 at 02:30 AM. Reason: CORRECTED BAD DATA

@drivetheory

Indeed that is a very useful site thanks
    but I'm here to help not decipher code and do all their work.

With your testing it seems to only happen when connected to a server,did you try various servers?
    what was the server,I'll see if it does it for me.
    Was TS3 windowed or minimised,I don't think it matters?
    ATI or nvidia?

is anything connected to your test configs,meaning speakers/mics?
    am I right in thinking that your headset/mic was connected to the on-board realtek?
    did you try connecting to the creative card?

What is TS3 set to use in it's options?
    capture/playback modes/device.

What's the differences from the other test pc that didn't display this problem?

Guess if you guys want to live in no bug land, may as well censor everyone. But there's your fix.
    We discussed such topics already and we never could reproduce any of this issue.

We already did test that on windows 7 / Windows 8 with several soundcards from
    RealtekHD, Creative Soundblaster Audigy, Creative X-fi, different USB Headsets and soundcards.

We can not reproduce this issue, even when we or someone else does talk to us.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

So found a fix.

Toms Hardware, HardwareCanucks, and Hardforum all say that it's TS3 that's the issue. It's a known issue that apparently only TS3 claims isn't a bug. They all suggest using Windows built in power handler to shut off the audio driver when it's time to go to sleep. I just confirmed that this does work.

However, for some reason, with the way TS3 handles audio streams, you can't talk when you come back, you have to restart TS3. But for me that's ok as the only reason I'm leaving it open is so people can send me messages while I'm away and I can remote into my computer and check them. As I don't have audio when remoting in, it doesn't matter. Then when I get home I'll just restart TS3 and be good to go.

Funny, everyone but the teamspeak forums say it's a known issue with TS3...

Glad you found a workaround and thanks for posting it.

you got any TS3 logs??
    Last edited by sTimulated; June 16th, 2015 at 06:54 AM.

Problem Identified

So found a fix...
    ...They all suggest using Windows built in power handler to shut off the audio driver when it's time to go to sleep. I just confirmed that this does work...
    ...But there's your fix.
    Funny this ^ post wasn't there when I posted the first time, guess it was awaiting moderation.

ANYHOW, guess what, that 'fix' did not work at all in my case... it also turned out to be completely unrelated (and i wouldn't call it a fix, more like a bastardized work around, but i digress)

Name:  all audio disabled.png
Views: 1133
Size:  389.6 KB

even with EVERY audio device disabled TS3 still would not allow the system to go into power saving mode.

So I decided to spend some free time this afternoon doing more tests...

Being that just having TS3 running regardless as to whether or not it was generating audio streams was creating this error condition I decided to see if the TS3 client log would be of any use. (having maintained a TS3 server with multiple virtual server instances for a few years now some of the TS3 logs have come in handy in the past)

So, here's what my TS3 client log looked like

Code:
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.719846|INFO    |              |   | TeamSpeak 3 Client 3.0.16 (2014-08-04 13:42:43)
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.719846|INFO    |              |   | SystemInformation: Windows 7 SP1 (7601) x64 (AMD or Intel) Binary: 64bit
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.719846|INFO    |              |   | Using hardware aes
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.735446|DEBUG   |Direct Sound  |   | setting timer resolution to 1ms
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.751046|ERROR   |SoundBckndIntf|   | C:/Program Files/TeamSpeak 3 Client/soundbackends/directsound_win64.dll error: NO_DEFAULT_FOUND
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.751046|ERROR   |SoundBckndIntf|   | C:/Program Files/TeamSpeak 3 Client/soundbackends/directsound_win64.dll error: NO_DEFAULT_FOUND
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.751046|ERROR   |Windows Audio Session|   | ERROR (-107 -2147023728): Element not found.
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.751046|ERROR   |SoundBckndIntf|   | C:/Program Files/TeamSpeak 3 Client/soundbackends/windowsaudiosession_win64.dll error: GETTING_DEFAULTAUDIOENDPOINT
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.767646|ERROR   |Windows Audio Session|   | ERROR (-107 -2147023728): Element not found.
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.767646|ERROR   |SoundBckndIntf|   | C:/Program Files/TeamSpeak 3 Client/soundbackends/windowsaudiosession_win64.dll error: GETTING_DEFAULTAUDIOENDPOINT
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.767646|WARNING |SoundDevManager|   | Did not load any sound backends. No (usable) dynamic libraries found.
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: appscanner_plugin
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: clientquery_plugin
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: lua_plugin
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: teamspeak_control_plugin
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: test_plugin
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.815648|INFO    |              |   | Loading plugin: ts3g15
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.980658|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - enter
    2015-06-15 16:49:24.980658|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - leave
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.077663|INFO    |              |   | *** Time [SERVERVIEW]: 107
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.090664|INFO    |              |   | *** Time [SERVERVIEWMANAGER]: 134
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | Input device name: Logitech, Inc. Extreme 3D Pro
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | Input device name: Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | Input device name: American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | Input device name: unknown Vendor HID Device
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | UNKNOWN DEVICE: VID_B58E&PID_9E84&MI_03&COL02#8&3B55B712&0&0001
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.180669|INFO    |Input         |   | Default monitoring enabled
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.219672|INFO    |              |   | *** Time [MAINWINDOW]: 500
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.220672|INFO    |              |   | *** Time [INIT]: 501
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.244673|INFO    |ClientUI      |   | Qt version: 5.2.1
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.244673|INFO    |ClientUI      |   | Using configuration location: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\TS3Client\settings.db
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.745702|INFO    |ClientUI      |   | Last update check was: Mon Jun 15 16:36:22 2015
    2015-06-15 16:50:26.194159|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - enter
    2015-06-15 16:50:26.195159|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - leave
    2015-06-15 16:50:26.345168|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - enter
    2015-06-15 16:50:26.345168|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::waitForDeletes - leave
    2015-06-15 16:50:26.347168|DEVELOP |Windows Audio Session|   | DeviceDeleteList::clearQueue - enter
    For some reason TS3 lists
    Code:
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | UNKNOWN DEVICE: VID_B58E&PID_9E84&MI_03&COL02#8&3B55B712&0&0001
    Which is actually the Yeti microphone you see in the screenshot above... but wait a minute, Windows doesn't list it as an unknown device and for that matter it's already disabled so wtf...

As it turned out Communism is just a Red Herring, and so was this "UNKNOWN DEVICE"

Then it occurred to me, an epiphany if you will...

On a hunch I started removing the input devices one at a time that you see listed in the log above, restarting teamspeak and retesting the systems ability to go into power saving mode and sure enough my hunch was right....

"Are you f'n kidding me?... come on..." is literally what came out of my mouth when the system successfully entered the power saving mode as it was supposed to.

The line in question is this one:
    Code:
    2015-06-15 16:49:25.178669|INFO    |InputDevices  |   | Input device name: Logitech, Inc. Extreme 3D Pro
    Now, mind you, this device is installed correctly (windows says so in devmgmt.msc as well as in control /name Microsoft.DevicesandPrinters) and it functions correctly in every game I've used it in- not to mention the fact that if TS3 is closed windows power management works fine...

So, there you have it, TS3 is incorrectly interacting with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro...

why? Why? WHY?

and before you ask,
    No, there are no running Logitech processes related to the device that could be causing a conflict.
    Yes, the latest driver is installed (albeit from 2010 believe it or not but none the less...)
    No, none of my capture profiles or keybinds use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
    Last edited by drivetheory; June 16th, 2015 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typos

Top draw detecting work Sire (doffs cap).
    Does make some sense with it being an input device as hard to see why audio can stop a screensaver......

You should report your find in the bug section?(runs away to hide from dante696)
    2 great posts drivetheory
    Last edited by dante696; February 2nd, 2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: giant quote removed

It would be appreciated if some of the Teamspeak devs would comment on this given my previous post contained concise, reproducible conditions- albeit different than the op's post but none the less it resulted in the same outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by drivetheory View Post
    It would be appreciated if some of the Teamspeak devs would comment on this given my previous post contained concise, reproducible conditions- albeit different than the op's post but none the less it resulted in the same outcome.
    I have (had) the same issue with my TS3 and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, and for me the solution was to go to Setings - Options - Hotkeys and change the drop-down bottom right from "Default" to "Keyboard & Mouse Only"... This stops TS3 from using the joystick as an input device... It sucks in so far that I cannot use a different device button (ie joystick buttons) as hotkeys anymore, but at least it allows monitor sleep and screensaver...

Thread Information