Forum

Can't assign Grant-permission (to revoke b_channel_modify_parent)

Hey there!

We are having problems with the Teamspeak-Server for our guild which we rented from 4players.de. Before asking their support, I would like to understand what is actually happening on the Teamspeak-level.

Who am I? / What I can do

• I'm not the person who rented the server (henceforth "Adminguy") , but I'm the tech-guy (kinda). I can easily contact said person, but there may be things I can't test myself.
    • It seems like I don't have the option to use ServerQuery because the host doesn't support it (I tried with YaTQA and got a socket error).
    • On the server I have the highest rank in the server group permission panel that can be assigned ("Gildenleader") as well as the standard rank ("TP"). But that's where things get messy...

The problem

One lovely day I took a look in the permissions panel in Teamspeak and wondered why our members of standard rank can do things like move channels around. Turns out that Adminguy played with the permissions. The problem is that neither I nor Adminguy - as members with the highest permissions we can assign - can revoke that right from our members of standard rank. To put it in a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bild1.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	15980

• If I try to revoke the right by clicking on the tick mark, I get "Insufficient Permission Modify Power".
    • If I try to set the "Grant" value, I get "Insufficient Permission Modify Power".
    • If I try to revoke the right or set the "Grant" value in the group of highest rank "Gildenleader", I get "Insufficient Permission Modify Power".

My analysis

After consulting Google and the stickies on here, I guess the problem is simply that there is no "Grant" value set for b_channel_modify_parent and without ServerQuery I have no option to set it back to what it was. Everything else seems okay:
    • Both my relevant server groups (Gildenleader + TP) are set, but if two server groups are set, the higher permission level counts. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    • Any Channel Group permissions are irrelevant because I set the Skip flag in the Gildenleader group via b_client_skip_channelgroup_permissions 1.
    • I indeed have i_permission_modify_power 75 if I check my Permission Overview panel which should give me the right to do... well virtually everything the hoster didn't deny in the first place. Here's a screenshot:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bild2.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	15981

My questions

• Is my analysis correct, i.e. is the problem the missing "Grant" value?
    • Is there a way to fix the problem?
    • Do you think getting back the original ServerAdmin from the hoster would fix the problem?
    • (If so, how do we backup our server groups and permissions? Getting a new ServerAdmin is connected to a reset of all permissions on the server. This seems to be a restriction of our hoster.)

Attachments

Kiwi_rightsoverview.txt - text file export of my Permission Overview panel.
    Permissions_TP.png - some relevant server group permissions of the TP server group
    Permissions_Gildenleader.png - some relevant server group permissions of the Gildenleader server group

Software

Teamspeak Client 3.1.6 (German) on Windows 7 (German)
    Teamspeak Server 3.0.13.8 on Linux (Host Provider)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Permissions_TP.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	15984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Permissions_Gildenleader.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	15983  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Having a value in the Grant column simply means that the group or client you're modifying can delegate the associated permission to others. So I can confirm that your analysis is correct... you can't modify or assign a permission if you don't have Grant privileges.

The value for the Grant privilege actually does not matter... it's simply checked to be equal or greater than the value for i_permission_modify_power of the same group. So basically, the Grant value could also be 1 if you have a permission modify power. I've tried to simplify this in my internal admin interface years ago...

http://imgur.com/a/fzGCK

Outdated, but anyway... you get the idea...

To resolve the issue, you either need the ServerQuery admin account or direct access to the server database.

Thank you very much, this answers my main question above!

So to make it specific, the problem is the missing Grant-value of b_channel_modify_parent in the "higher" server group Gildenleader. Is that correct?

Considering the fix: I think I can get neither ServerQuery admin nor direct database access from our host. I can get a brand new Server Admin which should be equipped with the missing Grant-value (otherwise that would be strange). As I said, this is tied to a reset of all our server groups and their permissions. Is there a way around that? Can I - in my situation - backup all of the permissions and reimport them later?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiatteamspeak View Post
    So to make it specific, the problem is the missing Grant-value of b_channel_modify_parent in the "higher" server group Gildenleader. Is that correct?
    Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiatteamspeak View Post
    Considering the fix: I think I can get neither ServerQuery admin nor direct database access from our host. I can get a brand new Server Admin which should be equipped with the missing Grant-value (otherwise that would be strange). As I said, this is tied to a reset of all our server groups and their permissions. Is there a way around that? Can I - in my situation - backup all of the permissions and reimport them later?
    If I remember correctly, YaTQA has a feature to import/export specific groups...

http://yat.qa

Anyway... this is the ServerQuery command your provider needs to execute on your virtual voice server to resolve the issue for you:

Code:
    servergroupaddperm sgid=2027577 permsid=i_needed_modify_power_channel_modify_parent permvalue=75 permskip=0 permnegated=0

For YaTQA, go to the Group Overview, select all groups you want to keep (hold Ctrl key) and export them. There is also a feature to export all local groups (local = the ones relevant for you).
    Note that channel icons will be gone after a permission reset (afaik).

Thread Information