Forum

Windows Audio Session distortion / Direct Sound delay

Hello, i have a problem with Windows Audio Session and Direct Sound. If i use Windows Audio Session, my microphone gets distorted. Sometimes after a few hours and sometimes after a few minutes like today. I cant use Direct Sound either, because my microphone sound gets delayed. When i start talking, the blue Teamspeak icon starts lighting after 3-5 seconds and gets cut at the end while using Push to Talk. I have a log while getting the distortion error using WAS today.

Log: https://pastebin.com/d9nSnGNN

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd generation and a Audio Technica AT-2035.
    Windows settings: 48000 Hz and 24 Bit. I tried to change the settings but nothing helps.
    I can solve these problems by restarting Teamspeak or switching from WAS/Direct Sound and then back.

I hope someone can help me with my problem.

Greetings

Also having this exact problem on the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and an AT2020 microphone

Been two months without a response.
    Is there anything that can be done to help debug this issue?

I'm willing to even replace the soundbackends with that which may provide more intelligence for debugging

Hi all,
    the issue appears to be located on Focusrite's end.
    The syndrome happens on any audio software it seems, I've seen it reported by users of OBS and several DAWs.
    The logs show that windows itself also loses the device from time to time.

The trouble seems to originate by the phantom power required to power condenser mics in combination with the device being USB powered.
    You can confirm this to be the case for your particular instance if you happen to own sth. that allows to turn phantom power off, a dynamic mic for example.

You can try the following:
    1) In windows device settings, go to the Universal Serial Bus controllers entry.
    Look for the device in the HUB entries' power tab.
    A hub tends to power two physical ports, it'd be ideal if there's no other device connected on the other USB port (power is shared per hub).
    For the hub, in the energy management tab, disable the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
    2) Sometimes, USB ports don't meet the specs. For example, my Lenovo laptop here and certain macbooks don't on some ports. Switching ports may be an option (don't forget to update 1) then.
    3) Update the ASIO driver and increase the buffer size in the control panel. It appears to affect the behaviour in non-ASIO mode, too.

Options that require buying sth.:
    Probably most likely to be successful would be to get an external phantom power supply and turn off phantom power on the Focusrite, they're around 25€.
    A powered USB hub may work.
    If adding a power supply is an issue for mobility, there're also Y-USB cables on the market where the split USB cord is solely for increasing the power by leeching it off another USB port.
    Last edited by thorwe; June 4th, 2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: to->two, grammar

Bumping this thread. I haven't had an issue with audio delay in quite some time. I am unsure about using WASAPI though, Direct Sound seems to be doing the job fine

Thread Information