Forum

Remove URL bbcode tag parsing in client chat

I know that this has been a feature in the TeamSpeak client software for years, but I've honestly never seen a single legitimate usecase for it. It's almost always just used by users for phishing other users, not to mention most veteran users of the software sadly STILL don't know about using URL bbcode tags in chat even after several years of using the software. It's nice that a warning dialog box has finally been added before opening hyperlinks, but I say do away with the URL tag feature for client chat entirely.

Why would it be used for phishing?
    I'm against disabling features just because users are too stupid.

On public servers, admins should consider preventing guests from sending messages I think.
    Maybe there is a need for a permission or something if people can send links or so, I don't know. I don't have a public server.

We already added 2 possibilities to avoid such URLs.
    Name:  url fake.png
Views: 223
Size:  17.1 KB
    User who disable this dialog or ignore the URL in the status bar should know what they are doing.
    You can enable that dialog again via "Reset Confirmations" button under Tools -> Options -> Application.

There is no reason for us to remove BBCode for URL or add a new permission for this.
    Last edited by dante696; September 19th, 2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added reset button
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    We already added 2 possibilities to avoid such URLs.
    Name:  url fake.png
Views: 223
Size:  17.1 KB
    User who disable this dialog or ignore the URL in the status bar should know what they are doing.
    You can enable that dialog again via "Reset Confirmations" button under Tools -> Options -> Application.

There is no reason for us to remove BBCode for URL or add a new permission for this.
    I was already aware that both of these existed, and additionally that users could copy the link to clipboard through a right click menu. Sadly though users will continue to not understand these features exist. **sigh**

It is understablabe to not want to remove this feature.

Just a little idea

Hello,

I know it's not quite the same suggestion but I really wanna add the idea of removing smileys in hyperlinks for the text chat. The client could parse the message before writing it out to the GUI to prevent emojis and/or smileys in URLs. Yes, there is the possibility to disable this behaviour but I still would like to see smileys while maintaining links in their entire form. It's not that hard to implement, the regular expressions for hyperlinks are pretty simple.

Best regards

Thread Information