Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Web client (websocket+webrtc) support

Hello Teamspeak Community,

I would be interested in a web-based Teamspeak Client accessible by browser.

Are there any plans on realizing that?

He do not want to "manage" TS3 server but to Use a web browser as a Ts3 Client to connect to his/a server.
    I think it's to avoid the full setup of a TS3 client on the computers that may not have the rights to install new applications but could execute java/flash/.... through his web browser.
    it may be usefull for assistance services

Hmmm I don't see that happening.

In an isolated view I don't think the gain (no client download) is in any relation to the work involved to make that happen, let alone the increased dependencies with the additional abstraction layer living inside a browser sandbox.

However, I'm sure this question will come up more often the more WebRTC evolves. The question I think rather is, given limited ressources, jump on that train at the cost of the native apps, where even Android and IOS can increasingly happily stay in the Qt context, or work on distinguished advantages future Web-Solutions will have to keep up with.

In a perfect world both would be an option, sure.

Browser based client

Hello Folks!

Since the discordapp (a voicechat- / chat- program based on browsers) is making its way to world domination.

What do you guys think about making an own browser based ts3 client?

Another solution could be to make the ts3 protocol open and let the community build a browser client.
    The barrier for people to download, install and configure a program just for gaming communication is far to high these days.
    Beware that ts3 could become a niche product when more and more people hop over to the discordapp

@TS-Team please give us a statement about the future of ts3! Nothing really fancy happened in the last 3 years...
    Last edited by seriouz; June 5th, 2016 at 03:30 PM.

Would be a great feature.

Couldn't agree more. TeamSpeak needs to step up their game.

I couldn't agree more, discord is hopping around and gaining more traction.. Would love to continue to stay on teamspeak

I love the wau TeamSpeak is right now. I prefer a client version. Browser would take much more memory usage.

But it's an intersting feature. Personally, in case is done, unsless has a better performance, I will continue using the client.

Web client (websocket+webrtc) support

Often new people do not want to install local software to try out TS3 / the gaming groups I play with. This is becoming especially difficult now that other clients are becoming more popular (Them: "I already installed X, don't want to get/setup Y, bye."), and have web clients that require no installation ("Just click this link and accept the microphone prompt").

I really feel TeamSpeak needs such a client, or at least an API so people can build simple ones into their own websites (as far as I can see, TeamSpeak provides so far no such API for custom clients). It wouldn't need to be feature complete (e.g. admin tools) just a simple login/auth (even better if this can use external auth, e.g. from my website, Steam, etc.), list of channels, members, and voice. Just the stuff to be usable with minimal effort on the potential new members part while still looking good/modern.

Of course for this to be any benefit it either needs to be free, or be licenced by the TS3 server, not the user. These same users I will not be able to convince to go buy something to try out.

This can be done with the SDK client, but you can't use it on normal server.

Some time ago they tried to do that, there is a java project ou there that is outdated. I think it is exactly what you search for. But u would need some guys that keep updating that version. If it is possible to do that. But maybe the team awakes after seeing the success from discord...
    Hopefully

It should be possible to do that. TeamSpeak would have to open a port (e.g. 8080 TCP) which will deliver a static web page (HTML, CSS, JS) via HTTP as well as open a port (UDP) for a proxy from WebRTC to the TeamSpeak 3 protocol and servers hosted on the very same instance. I'm not sure for the case of multiple people talking at the same time, and this whole feature would be limited to Opus channels.
    A server not written by TeamSpeak could also do this, as the protocol is reverse-engineered. I would prefer if people who are generally more experienced in reverse-engineering than I am would actually develop that instead of creating clones...

It just seems that TeamSpeak is advancing very slowly. They don't even add very small features that are dead easy to add in 30 to 60 minutes (I know what I'm talking about because I did) like multiselect in the client, serverside Unicode support that does not date back to 1993(!) or a working blacklist system (people suggested good ones). Just look at what was created in the few years before the release and then look what was added the 8 years after... How many developers are there anymore compared to the early stages? The feature described above in this post would take some weeks to develop.

Super important

I think that this is super important for the future of teamspeak - our numbers have gone down significantly and almost every day we have to have the conversation of "Why don't you guys just use discord?" - and SO MANY people refuse to download anything now that discord is an option.

We already started using discord for text communication, but we are still holding back from moving from Teamspeak due to it being superior in many ways - however, down the line this may be inevitable if Teamspeak doesn't update to the current times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelling View Post
    I think that this is super important for the future of teamspeak - our numbers have gone down significantly and almost every day we have to have the conversation of "Why don't you guys just use discord?" - and SO MANY people refuse to download anything now that discord is an option.

We already started using discord for text communication, but we are still holding back from moving from Teamspeak due to it being superior in many ways - however, down the line this may be inevitable if Teamspeak doesn't update to the current times.
    What he said!

Thread Information