Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Allow asynchronous queries from telnet

Hi!

Currently the telnet interface is full synchronous, each time we have to wait the answer and send another query after that.

On big servers answers can take a really long time and this is clearly annoying, it force my bot to connect another client to perform others query during the waiting time.

Can you implement a new system wich can be used on demand with a parameter during login like
    Code:
    login client_login_name=serveradmin client_login_password=password asynchronous=1
    To work this could be simple, each query can have an id, so when we perform a query we get the ID:

Code:
    clientlist -uid -away -voice -times -groups -info -country -ip -badges
    query id=12345
    error id=0 msg=ok
    When the server send the query #12345 results it emit a notification:
    Code:
    notifyserverquery id=12345 data=...
    With this kind of feature we can perform more than one query and the server can mutualise the same queries, for example, if the client ask 10 times the clientlist before the query #12345 is performed the server will always return the same query ID.

This already works for most commands (except banclient and help, which have a completely different result format):
    you send: serverinfo return_code=1234
    you get: virtualserver_blabla=4711 blablabla return_code=1234

I don't know why you would want to execute a command multiple times before you get the answer. If you are getting performance issues via query, it's usually the result of using MariaDB, which is very slow compared to SQLite.

I've never see anything about return_code into the serverquery documentation.

Currently, even if we can add a custom return_code, the telnet interface is not asynchronous, so we can only send one request and wait for the answer. Blocking telnet interface is a non-sense for this kind of application wich can manage a lot of clients and should be able to perform queries ASAP without waiting the answer.

My bot agregate each command line when it's possible, but this should be implemented directly to the serverquery when it become asynchronous.

The performance issue is related to my server, it use the SQLite DB and have more than 300 clients at the same time each day. When the server had to return a big set of data, it become slow, so sometimes the server take 3-5s to process the clientlist. And my dedicated server is not bad, i work on Scala/Hadoop project on it with a cluster of HDFS, i can perform a lot of queries without any perfomance issues.

I know, this feature need a lot of work from ts3 devs, but they should be able to provide this kind of enhancement to be competitive with others products.

I really love TS3, but I wonder if an open source project would not do better and faster, the sporadic updates of the telnet interface and the idiotics limitations are a real brake to integrate TS3 and really begin to penalize me in my personnal projects ...

I did not have any problems with having some hundred users on my server.

It will be very easy for you not to query the server for the same thing again and again before receiving the answer.

Stuff is badly documented. Deal with it. Or read the docs on yat.qa.

Thread Information