Forum

Transmit time out feature?

Is there anywhere on the server settings where I can create a "Time out Timer" (TOT) ?

In short, when someone transmits, I'd like to be able to limit there maximum transmission time to no more than a couple of minutes. Some people seem to sit on their PTT and transmit way too long... Whilst an server admin can go in and boot them, we can't watch every channel at the same time, and it'd be a great way to stop some users hogging things.

Yours,

Gareth

There is no such setting. Someone with experience could easily write a bot for that. But I have never seen this issue happening and doubt it exists.

Hi again Numma. You are busy on this forum... lol.

And no worries. I've not heard of anything like it before, but with the uses of TS3 expanding in to things other than gaming, it's a feature that we'd find useful on ours. Never mind... Just need to find an experienced bot writer now... ;-)

Thanks.

Gareth

So you want the opposite of a Anti-AFK bot?

Just get a anti-afk bot and reverse its functionality. So if client_idle_time is 0 secs for longer than 3 mins revoke the clients talk power or kick him from the channel/server.

I wouldn't want to kick the user, just stop them from TX'ing. I'm guessing that that's not possible for now. Shame.

But thank you for your comments.

Gareth

It is possible, depending on what you want. Someone could e.g. write a bot that gives that user a -1 talk power group server group that the user can remove.

But would that restrict audio fully until they did it? Ideally it's for a radio crosslinked system... When the user TX's for more than 3 minutes, it causes the linking machine (running on a raspberry pi) to shut down. It then has to be restarted manually. If there was a way of just making TS3 "drop the ptt" after say 2.45 mins it would be great. Cheers. Gareth

People cannot talk in a channel without the necessary talk power. So if you reduce their talk power to something below the required talk power they'd instantly stop transmitting, even when they're sitting on their PTT key the entire day.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

However, the server does not know when a user, who is unable to talk, is no longer willing to talk.
    I have no idea what a linking server is, but we do not give any support for Raspberry Pis here no the forum anyway, because they do not meet the official system requirements.

Thanks for your reply Chris.

we use the TS3 server we have for speech only. Most of users have what are known as "Network Radios". These are essentially like walkie talkies and use a PTT button on the side also.

Some users seem to have no concept of time, and as such waffle on for many minutes without letting go of the PTT. This stops other uses being able to reply (the devices have duplex turned off other wise you get horrible feedback across the channel). If there was a way to limit users from depressing the PTT for no longer than 3 minutes (as an example) that would be ideal.

Removing their ability to talk whilst would be effective, it would also render the channel useless lol..Tempting tho with some users. ;-)

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    People cannot talk in a channel without the necessary talk power. So if you reduce their talk power to something below the required talk power they'd instantly stop transmitting, even when they're sitting on their PTT key the entire day.

To better explain, some of the talkgroups on the server link (via a PC and virtual audio cables) into other systems (non-TS3). For example, there may be a "crosslink" that connects a certain Ts3 channel, via PC to a two way radio (we use a linux based programme that runs on the Pi to interface into the radio system via virtual audio cables (via a iax connection)... So any radio traffic is relayed in real time into the said TS3 channel.

The connection works fine, is very stable, and the audio quality from TS3 is awesome... My previous post i've just made to Chris might help explain the time out issue.

Thank you again for your help.

Gareth

As said before, the server doesn't have a feature like that, but you can add it yourself using either a script interacting with the server through the server query interface.
    Basically what you could do is
    - Whenever someone starts talking in the channel, note the current time and save it for the user.
    - When a user stops talking remove that users entry from the list.
    - Loop the list every so often and check whether the current time minus the noted time is greater than the amount of time they're allowed to talk. If so then lower their talk power for time y, preventing them from talking for that time period. Afterwards remove the limitation again.

As numma mentioned you will have to silence them for a certain amount of time because the server isn't notified if they ever stop pressing the PTT button. You could however poke them or send them a message to notify them about it.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Thread Information