Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As Bluscream said, you have to read about the concepts of TeamSpeak: What is a token, what is an identity, what is a group,. what is a permanent group... Trying to understand a concept without reading any documentation isn't for everyone.

You cannot link to a certain identity. A user can have quite a number of them and every user set one of these for the use with links. Also note that tokens are consumed on use.

I thank you both for your reply

Yes i do understand that i am new to this but i have been watching videos and trying to learn this, so its not that im just out to have someone do the work for me. I also understand that this is not the normal way to config and use TS. But i cant be the only person to have ever wanted to use it in this way. I guess my frustration comes from the fact that there does not seem to be any guides at all how to use it in this fashion as a simple website accessible voice chat rather than a "hey buddy here is my TS ip lets chat" kind of thing.

Trust me if someone had a server set up exactly like i wanted i would prob rent from them, but i dont think that exists.

Regarding documentation its like trying to understand apache by reading the guide, we all know that does not work. We have to get our hands dirty and ask as we go, thats how people learn.

I did watch a video on bringing in a test identity and i thought i was doing it right. I will revisit the tuts teach video on that again to make sure im doing it correctly.

My whole point is that it cant be that hard to do the following. And if it is then it should not be.

1. Set up TS with a main channel and everything else sub channels.
    2. Set up the default channel that everyone goes into when they join.
    3. Set up a guest channel with permissions
    4. Set up a member channel with permissions
    5. Set permissions on guest so that when a random guest joins (with no account) they cannot do anything at all.
    6. Set permissions on member channel which allows them to do normal activities.
    7. Set permisions so that when a member creates a temporary channel, it only gets created in a specific section and is removed when that creator leaves that channel.
    8. Provide a html link that is given to a specific member so that when they click on that link their TS account is set up and their permissions are set.

Is this going to be impossible to do with TS?

UPDATE: I rewatched the identity video, it really was not my fault. In the video they changed the default identity name to something else as did i but they didnt say to be sure to set your default name again. That was just part of the problem, i had channel admin as the default identity because i renamed it from default to something else but didnt choose a different identity as default.
    Last edited by durangod; December 15th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.

It's not impossible and numma_cway and Bluscream tried to tell you: The problem we see is that you did test with the same identity.

You connected with same identity to a server where you already have Server Admin and only get the other server group assigned.
    So for you it looks like you got Server Admin. But the case is you had Server Admin already and got the UT Member group assigned as an addition server group.

You need to test that with a client (in best case) where the bookmark and where the same identity doesn't exist.

The only impossible thing here is that you can not use 2 keys at once.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thanks dante696, that makes perfect sense. So in fact it could be working perfectly now its just that there is a pre-exiting value already loaded from before, got it...

Your reply is professional, informative, helpful, and kind.... Thanks everyone for the assistance...

Well i ended up uninstalling the client and reinstalled to be sure no bookmarks or anything were there, just as if one of my members was doing it themselves. And i lost access to admin totaly, even after resetting the priv key on the rental server, its gone. No matter how i sign in i cant get admin.

So I will zap the server and reinstall it new and go from scratch. I figure by the time im done redoing this 4-5 times i should be good at it huh lol

Ill keep you updated to help others if i figure this out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by durangod View Post
    Well i ended up uninstalling the client and reinstalled to be sure no bookmarks or anything were there, just as if one of my members was doing it themselves. And i lost access to admin totally, even after resetting the priv key on the rental server, its gone. No matter how i sign in i cant get admin.

So I will zap the server and reinstall it new and go from scratch. I figure by the time im done redoing this 4-5 times i should be good at it huh lol

Ill keep you updated to help others if i figure this out. Thanks
    Dude.. you still didn't understand the ID thing I guess.

Press CRTL + i to bring up this Menu:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTkwr0V.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	16232

There you can create ID's or delete some and snych them via myTeamspeak (cloud backup service to have your ID's available on all machines etc)
    Ever ID is Unique. Worldwide. And on every server you join this Unique ID-code gets saved in the Server Database as user XY. And if somebody on that server gives you permission/groups/icons/rights/whatever, they are only giving them to THAT id you are currently connected. So you can login from another PC that has the ID synched via myTeamspeak (or copied via USB stick, because the ID is a small file, basically) and get the exact same right.

That's why ID's are VERY important and crucial to keep away from others. Or they get full rights on the server you use and you have rights on.

The next part you keep on issing is, that you can decide on connecting which ID to use:

Name:	gRAEQPn.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	16233

You can also decide which ID to use in saved Bookmarks:

Name:	iohIWop.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	16234
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes most of that i understood from the videos i watched. I do know that i could have restored my server, recreated the id's and all of that but i rebuilt it mainly because i was afraid somewhere in watching the vids i messed up something.

I do understand that i can create new id's and assign them permissions or no permissions and use them to test "guest" or "normal" if i want to.

The problem is that i have not yet figured out how to turn off the fact that i am admin on this server so i can go into it just like a brand new person would by using a html link. That is where my mind is not grasping things. I know the way it works when i do it manually via bookmarks for guest and normal or other identities. But it does not work the same way when i go into the server via a html link.

What i want to see is a member with just normal privies, nothing else, no admin, no nothing. I dont want the client to even know i am admin in another life. When i click that html link i want it to fire it up and just show the member and only the member with just normal privies.

Does that make sense...

Thanks i will learn it will just take me a bit to get it. I am reading and watching other vids and eventually ill get it along with the help here.

Its rebuilt now and im back where i was and i backed it up.

1. So the first thing to do is to config the server for security -- done!
    2. Now i will remove all guest permissions and allow them to do nothing at all (since only members will have the ability to chat)-- done!
    3. Now i can either make a copy of the normal server group or just use the normal for my members. I have already set the room access permission to 30 so normal (or a copy) will work just fine. Ill use the normal and not a copy... -- in progress!

more to follow..

Thanks
    Last edited by durangod; December 17th, 2017 at 07:59 AM.

Clicking on a invite link will always use your default ID. So just temporary change your default ID to something else than your main ID

Or, you can just simply copy token, press ctrl + s, click advanced in lower left part of window, then, kn the right side there is a field where you can change identity, change it, then paste copied token into field on left, and click "connect in new tab"

Voi'la, you have 2 simultaneous connections, where 1 is your, with SA, and second which is like someone from anywhere else.

Sorry for no pics or any visual easing of what i have written above, but i reply from phone. If you want, i can reply again, this time with pics how to.

Well i have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that unfortunately unless i host my own TS server (no ts rental) which can give me alittle more power, much of what i want to do is either way too complicated, time consuming, or out of reach. TS is a great software, i really do love it for what it does and maybe one day it can take that next logical leap into more user friendly integration regarding webservers. So i gave up on TS for this project.

The good news is that i ended up coding my own solution and integrating my code into my existing self created chat room plugin. So i got what i wanted, it just took me about a week to get it built.

I do feel that one day TS may be under the gun and almost forced to take the next step in the TS evolution. As well all know in this tech world nothing is forever and if you dont change with the changing users then you get left behind. I will continue to use TS in its simple form as i always have but its too bad it is just not flexible enough to apply to this project.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions folks.

Peace
    Dave

TeamSpeak offers voice communication. That is what TeamSpeak is supposed to do. It is not supposed to include ready-to-use connections to all the different CMS/forum/whatever systems out there. It is supposed to offer way for developers to do some stuff. Developers usually have their own servers to run their stuff. Depending on what they are doing with it, those are very cheap (<1 euro a month).

As you might have noticed, when you installed Windows, you had to download and install TeamSpeak. For some reason, it did not ship with Windows. That's because Windows as an operating system is not supposed to ship TeamSpeak with it. For some other reason, Windows did not come with a free TeamSpeak hosting contract either. That's also because Windows is not supposed to do that either.

I'm happy that TeamSpeak does not provice bloatware-like features for each-and-any application out there. I do not use any bots on my server because I don't see the point.

So, please don't suggest that TeamSpeak turns their product into bloatware even more. The original client download was 10 MB, now it's like 80 MB... Don't make them do that with the server.

Thread Information