Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[PHP] HTTPS Scan - Find insecure HTTP links on your server

Background Information

Chrome will soon mark all unencrypted websites as "not secure" (source) in an attempt push the usage of encryption on the web.
    This also means that TeamSpeak 3 server administrators should consider switching their resources such as hoster banners and icons to a secure server as well.

What it does

The package connects to a TeamSpeak 3 server via the query interface and scans various server properties as well as channel descriptions for insecure HTTP links.

The result is printed to stdout.

Scanned server properties

• Welcome Message
    • Host Message
    • Host Banner Link URL
    • Host Banner Image URL
    • Host Button Link URL
    • Host Button Image URL

Requirements

• Composer is required to install dependencies
    • Valid ServerQuery login credentials
    • Custom anti-flood settings or whitelisted IP address

Download and README

randomhost/ts3-https-scan (GitHub)

Example

Code:
    php src/bin/scan.php --user serveradmin --password changeme --host localhost
    Result

Code:
    Scanning:
     - Host: localhost
     - Port: 9987
     - Query Port: 10011
     - User: serveradmin
     - Password: ******

The following server properties contain insecure HTTP links:
     - Host Banner Link URL
     - Host Banner Image URL

The following channels contain insecure HTTP links:
     - Lobby
     - Gaming 2

Done.

As far as i can tell from your post, it's not crucial to prevent the usage of HTTP, so there's no exploit related to that, right?

TeamSpeak's own file transfer which you have to use for icons and avatars is always unencrypted. And you care about a few links in channel descriptions... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluscream View Post
    As far as i can tell from your post, it's not crucial to prevent the usage of HTTP, so there's no exploit related to that, right?
    There is no immediate exploit that I know of. However, I don't think I have to go into details why using HTTPS wherever possible is a good idea.

When the most popular browser announces that it's going to actively fight against the usage of unencrypted HTTP, many websites will switch to HTTPS. Updating links that point to them to use the right protocol makes sense, just like fixing dead links which no longer point to a valid resource.

Actually most websites will now redirect you to HTTPS anyway, but that is not immediately obvious to all users and means that the initial request is still unencrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    TeamSpeak's own file transfer which you have to use for icons and avatars is always unencrypted. And you care about a few links in channel descriptions... LOL.
    I can't remember saying that this is going to fix all issues that TeamSpeak has in terms of encryption.

I'm just providing a tool which could help server administrators to take one little step towards a secure web. That's all.

If you think it's useless: Don't use it. That's fine.

Thread Information