Forum

Thread: Higher Bitrate

Higher Bitrate

Because music sounds very bad.

72 kbit/s, the current maximum, should be enough for Opus Music. We (team of some fan developers) did some testing and didn't find a notable difference in those ranges.

According to numma_cway,
    I think there are also not very much Codecs wich even supports higher bitrates.
    The next step further would be to send the pcm data just compressed.

ok. But for exapmle if i listen to technobase.fm via wao.fm ( 192 kb/s mp3) and via ts3, there is a very notable difference.

MP3 is a very old and bad audio format. You cannot compare bitrate from a format invented more than 35 years ago and released around 25 years ago. Though there have been some Lame improvements, it can't catch up to modern formats. In Germany, commercial radio stations broadcast their digital radio signals (DAB+) mostly in 72 kbit/s HE-AAC. HE-AAC is considered to be inferior to Opus at these rates.

Also, user TeaSpeak (who answered earlier) recently told me that he did some testing. His findings were that TeamSpeak sounds significantly different if compared to a raw recording of exactly same Opus data and playing it in another program, so it's likely some other reason than bitrate. When we did testing, we (TeaSpeak, Splamy, myself) did not hear a notable difference starting with 56 kbit/s. However, we used input from a music bot that is not based on TeamSpeak but e.g. on Qint (Qint Is Not TeamSpeak).

tl;dr: It's not the bitrate.

Higher audio qualiry

Hey
    Is it possible to add another codec or a higher quality like 320kbps? This would be great
    Thanks
    Last edited by dante696; May 3rd, 2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: merged

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    72 kbit/s, the current maximum, should be enough for Opus Music. We (team of some fan developers) did some testing and didn't find a notable difference in those ranges.
    Hey dude, sorry for grave digginf but how could I change the bitrate from 11.89 KiB/s to mere 72!?
    There's no option for that in the server settings? Opus music only goes up to 11 KiB/s,

kbit/s != KiB/s
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    kbit/s != KiB/s
    Ah, I see what you did there.
    I still wonder if we will ever see higher bitrates maybe in TS5?

79.2 kbit/s (or 9.9 KB/s) is the net bitrate (it was my mistake, the bitrate is 79.2 kbit/s at 10 quality, 72 kbit/s is at 9 quality). 11.89 KiB/s is the bitrate including the overhead (45 B/packet * 50 packets/s (fixed for Opus because of VBR) = 2250 B/s). 9900 B/s + 2250 B/s = ca. 11.87 KiB/s.
    Quick maths.

Listening to music

When I listening to music on my ts3 server I have the sinusbot and I use opus music on music channels and it sounds great and enough for everyone. I think higher bitrate is not needed.

Thread Information