Forum

Page 65 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115 ... LastLast

Thread: TS5 discussion

New Server Release New Features.

Yet they never specify the hardware required to run this. So once again we have to figure this out.
    Sometimes i ask myself why do i even bother?

Than i remember discord was down all day for us. Teamspeak saved the day.

Thank you teamspeak. (sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by tucamote View Post
    New Server Release New Features.

Yet they never specify the hardware required to run this. So once again we have to figure this out.
    Sometimes i ask myself why do i even bother?

Than i remember discord was down all day for us. Teamspeak saved the day.

Thank you teamspeak. (sarcasm)

What do you mean hardware required to run? They've already amended it saying glibc 2.14+ is needed now, but it's also a pre-release so this would have been added anyway to their changelog.

Quote Originally Posted by floprott View Post
    LinusTechTips made a video where he did equal recordings for both discord and teamspeak. They sound exactly the same. It' an illusion.
    LinusTechTips is not a (my) benchmark.

And their sound files sound quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-e...VqYU5FeUk/view

Totally sounds like ass. Cant even understand the Discord recording. Is he talking a language there? /s
    You sound pretty triggered that I have a different opinion. Did I say it was in-audible?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick1164 View Post
    You sound pretty triggered that I have a different opinion. Did I say it was in-audible?
    You said its sounds like ass.
    I for my part can't even hear a difference. And I bet if you let people blind test it they will tell you the same.
    So yes, I answered you with a sarcastic sentence, hence the "/s"

But this discussion will be deleted anyways, because "off topic". So it doesn't matter what we both type here
    You got your opinion, that TeamSpeak sounds vastly superior, and I got mine that 99% of the users can't hear a difference if both are setup correctly and using max bandwidth.

Given the release of the 3.7.0 beta, the mention of the requirement of it for Teamspeak 5 features, and the fact that the release notes (found here: https://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/...ver-3-7-0-Beta) show a "Server Release" of the 12th of March, 2019 -- all those people out there doubting the upcoming release of TS5, shh! It's coming, relax!

Quote Originally Posted by tshost View Post
    ...all those people out there doubting the upcoming release of TS5, shh! It's coming, relax!
    I think nobody doubts it's coming. But some people stopped believing in what the marketing team says, for very good reasons.

Now that they finally started using the forums, they are kinda hiding behind their "Tim Speak" mascot, assuring to everyone still interested in their product that they'll do their very best to manually compensate for the obvious design errors in their beta signup form that they quickly put together once they realized that the beta cannot start as soon as they had planned.

Heck, I'm not even that interested in TeamSpeak 5. TeamSpeak 3 is fine for all the things I do.

But I'm very interested in the way they advertise their upcoming product and in the (poor) way they handle customer feedback and their own failures.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHost View Post

But I'm very interested in the way they advertise their upcoming product and in the (poor) way they handle customer feedback and their own failures.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHost View Post
    For me TS3 is also perfect. But what i don't like is that TeamSpeak didn't even apologize or say something on the Socialmedia about delaying the release. This really is a no go because everyone was hyped and got no information. Not everyone is in this Forum/Thread.

about ts5 license

Now I'll buy TEAMSPEAK 3 GAMER LICENSE,can I use this license in TS5 after it released?

Just wanted to put your guys worries about the bots ruining the giveaway to rest they are well aware of it https://imgur.com/a/ZyiHqT2

Quote Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
    Just wanted to put your guys worries about the bots ruining the giveaway to rest they are well aware of it https://imgur.com/a/ZyiHqT2
    Holy moly... thanks, it's not lost at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MCGamingDE View Post
    Holy moly... thanks, it's not lost at all.
    Thatís what I said I was so happy when I got that response

Quote Originally Posted by Dimos View Post
    I like how you blatantly lie about the competitor, just to let TS look better.

Of course Discord uses encryption. HTTPs/TLS is used for text messages and xsalsa 20 together with poly1305 for voice chat. This is also enabled by default and can, afaik, not be deactivated. Not like the default TeamSpeak server settings, where encryption is unchecked by default. At least my last installation had this unchecked by default.

Voice quality is on pair with teamspeak, since they use the same codec. Also the default teamspeak codec quality of 8 should be about the same that Discord is using as default. So yes, you can set it higher in Teamspeak, but to be honest. I personally don't hear a difference there. At least not with all the super awesome "gaming mics"... because when the input doesn't sound good, a good codec/higher bandwidth wont improve that.

The PC performance might depend. On my PC both clients take around the same CPU usage. 0.5%. Discord uses 2 or 3 times the ram (150 - 200 mb) but that is it. Nothing a modern "gamer" should have to worry about in times where most gaming rigs have 8GB and even the latest games requiring 8GB of ram now. But yeah, if you run an old PC that could be a problem, maybe.

Can't say much to the community managing stuff, because I haven't done that yet on Discord. But I'm part of multiple bigger Discord communities and everything there works just fine. People can join their rooms and have only access to certain channels, dunno what problems big community are facing there. It also improved communication/information flow for us, because the admins/leader just need to ping everybody with @everybody and I get a notification on the Desktop client or my phone. Way better than any Forum or TeamSpeak server solution.
    Discord does not encrypt messages I just got a copy of my data they literally save all your messages dms group chat and server messages so no voice is encrypted though which is just expected so itís nothin special just a resource hog with a pretty ui

There is a difference between transport layer security (TLS) and end-to-end encryption and just saying "we got encryption" could mean both.

Transport layer security - as the name suggests - just means that the data is encrypted while it's being transferred between the client and the server. Discord still got all data because the data is decrypted on their servers. That's how TLS works and that's how the majority of the web works.

It is what stops third parties from monitoring the data you exchange with online shops in order to steal your bank account details. The online shop still got your bank account details because they need them to fulfill your order.

In case of online communication, end-to-end encryption is what you really want. It ensures that the service provider (e.g. TeamSpeak or Discord) can't decrypt the data and only the person you are talking to can. The service provider still needs some sort of meta data to route your messages so someone might probably be able to determine the endpoints by looking at that data but the payload which contains your message is always encrypted until it reaches it's final destination.

Ideally, you want to combine that with perfect forward secrecy (PFS) which is designed to ensure that even if one of the communication partners gets hacked, it doesn't automatically reveal all data that has been encrypted. So even it someone was recording all encrypted data over a longer time span, they still wouldn't be able to decrypt that data.

As you can probably imagine, end-to-end encryption is far more complicated to implement and can become a big challenge when dealing with group chat functionality where everybody's communication with everybody else needs to be encrypted.

Now seeing these screenshots and the upcoming group chats, I wonder if TeamSpeak is going for end-to-end encryption with those chats or just TLS like Discord does.

PS: TLS is an industry standard that everybody can get for free these days (e.g. Let's Encrypt). Saying you support it is really nothing special anymore. It's kind of a "must have". Properly implemented end-to-end encryption and PFS is something you can be proud of.

Is glibc 2.14+ needed on an windows server too?

Thread Information