Forum

Page 30 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: TS5 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Not at the moment. We'll publish a release date as soon as we're sure we can make it happen.

I think everyone knows where this "Q4 2018" thingy got us. Would hate to break another promise...
    I don't think the problem is breaking any promise, I think what many of us want is just honesty. If the devs need more time, just simply say it could take another 1-2 months, if 1-2 months come by and they came out and said we ran into some problems we need another month it sucks but at least they came out and told us and gave a reason (without giving away any features), but it's much better than ignoring the TS Community, so thank you for replying and trying to make things right again it's a much needed step in the right direction.

Also about the market for privacy, I wouldn't try to steer in this direction as the main benefit of TS5. I think many gamers simply don't care about it, they download many things and simply click the "I agree" to get what they want. I bet if you asked many discord users if they are award that their privacy isn't safe on discord if they would leave it, and odds are they probably wouldn't.

Actually, they release new servers all the time. They are just not labeled "TeamSpeak 5". Since the server will support both client versions, there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible to add new features which only the new client has support for unless they break the protocol in a way that the old client can't handle.

AFK moving for example should be fairly easy to implement. The server already supports kicking idle users. It could easily be expanded to move clients instead since server side moving is a feature that is already supported by the protocol.

About privacy:

The more they go into the privacy and encryption direction, the more governments and law enforcement agencies might develop an interest in being able to tap into TeamSpeak servers. I just hope they are prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Blumiere View Post
    Is it safe to say then that the client will be limited by what TS3 is currently capable of when it comes to the server side? People are waiting for a real self-hosted alternative to Discord. This doesn't honestly require much. A new UI is a given, but:

- The ability to connect to a server without immediately dropping into voice
    - Text-only channels with server-side text buffers that can be scrolled back on after joining, with message editing and deleting being possible, along with permissions to control access to these features

These things are very basic non-negotiables. If text channels are not present, you will not gain a single person from Discord.
    Simple text chat channels without voice are already possible with the TS3 server, there is no technical limitation on server side! It is only client side stuff to make this more usable and prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    Simple text chat channels without voice are already possible with the TS3 server, there is no technical limitation on server side! It is only client side stuff to make this more usable and prettier.
    And how? I saw nothing in the server query to read or write permanent messages to a channel.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to address them.
    I have some.

>> About your marketing
    > Why do you have lies about your competition on your webpage?
    > Why do you manipulate people in your marketing by telling them only the half truth?
    > Why do you constantly claim that discord is collecting data even tho you have zero proofs?
    > Why do you claim that discord is confusing, lagging, etc. even tho you have no proofs?
    > Why are you using buzzwords like."military grade encryption" even tho almost the entire web is based on the same algorithms? TLS is literally "military grade".

>> About your transparency
    > Why don't you give us any status about anything you develope? Like you don't need to call out deathlines if you just tell us what's missing and what's your progress
    > Why dont you do any FAQs, AMAs or blog posts about your status? I shouldn't need to dig through your forum in order to gain information

I'm starting to think Discord is starting to prep for the release of Teamspeak 5 by playing dirty. I just got this PM on our forums (see below). It's either a bot, or a copy and paste by an employee, but for the people that have requested for us to use Discord they don't speak like this (and it's very rare for our members/guests to make a topic on it). They are clearly going to Teamspeak communities and trying to convert as many as possible before Teamspeak 5 comes out, I find this to be very pathetic and low of discord to stoop to this level, spread the word ~ Discord is worried (or why else would they stoop to this).

Our community has been using Teamspeak since 2003, pretty sure they would have to do better than that to convince us

Quote Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
    + for that

Btw Rocket.Chat looks pretty solid now, but it's really Slack alternative, not Discord.
    Because Rocket.Chat devs close all issues about Discord/Mumble-like voice channel suggestions.

@Chris @dante969 @ScP

Please, pass this link to your developers:
    https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat#features
    Unfortunately, if TS5 lacks most of these functions, then it will not be able to be called modern
    Lol, Rocket.chat. That app is so badly made and a joke to collaboration software, they don't even take security seriously. I'm surprised people even use it. Riot is a better Slack and Discord alternative.

Shorthand list of what's wrong with RC:

Email required for registration. - annoying and not privacy-friendly

The Android application is just a badly wrapped web-view which does not perform well and has no form of offline caching whatsoever.

The iOS application is not native, being just a browser container. This means that the UX is quite poor, slow, buttons unresponsive. At this moment they do not provide a decent experience.

No web browser support.

Centralized.

Privacy settings for the server are absent, for instance, you can't control who joins the server.

Features not available out of the box.

As we've already stated in the past, TS5 is a client. It's using the same server so TS5 and TS3 clients are interoperable.
    Oh no. So the really awful server API (Server Query) for developer stays...
    I really hoped you improve it, but now I guess we have to get by with it for the next 10 years (as long as the protocol will stay proprietary so we can't make our own server software).
    Last edited by ZargorNET; January 28th, 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZargorNET View Post
    Oh no. So the really awful server API (Server Query) for developer stays...
    I really hoped you improve it, but now I guess we have to get by with it for the next 10 years (as long as the protocol will stay proprietary so we can't make our own server software).
    Maybe the already integrated an modern REST API for Webhooks etc. but didnt enable/provide public informations about that.
    Just keep calm. I think they know that Webhooks/REST API is a must have for any modern Platform nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunkz Jr View Post
    I'm starting to think Discord is starting to prep for the release of Teamspeak 5 by playing dirty. I just got this PM on our forums (see below). It's either a bot, or a copy and paste by an employee, but for the people that have requested for us to use Discord they don't speak like this (and it's very rare for our members/guests to make a topic on it). They are clearly going to Teamspeak communities and trying to convert as many as possible before Teamspeak 5 comes out, I find this to be very pathetic and low of discord to stoop to this level, spread the word ~ Discord is worried (or why else would they stoop to this).

Our community has been using Teamspeak since 2003, pretty sure they would have to do better than that to convince us
    Do you really believe this? Discord has a community growing everyday because their software is superior in many aspects. Teamspeak 5 will probably not change this, considering that they had huge marketing fails and that it's only a client update. There is no need at all to spam anyone. Analyse teamspeaks page, they have so much manipulation and even some lies in their advertisement, this shows that they don't have much arguments beside self-hosting. Discord does not (need to) fear TS5 at all...

TeamSpeak is and has always been different. We don’t force you to use cloud services or harvest your data since we value your privacy. We want to create powerful, flexible communication tools where you can decide how things should work.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by florian2833z View Post
    Is it finally possible to restrict file transfer space of a teamspeak server in teamspeak 5?
    Why would anyone want to restrict server file quota client-side? That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezel View Post
    What I don't get is you showed TS5 @ Gamescom...
    Haven't heard of anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Also haven't heard anything against that by any TS employee, and it was mentioned several times in this thread alone.
    And as they have read it all (as they said) it must be true. Otherwise you would want to correct such a statement, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by floprott View Post
    > Why do you constantly claim that discord is collecting data even tho you have zero proofs?
    Just read their ToS or request a GDPR data dump. You'll see a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    To clarify, how is this possible? Do you mean via disabling voice functionality on a given channel with permissions? It seems that text only shows up for a given channel when connected to it. The concept of connecting to a channel works very well in the context of a voice channel, but what I think people are really looking for in terms of modernization is a way to read through multiple text channels without "connecting" to them along with server-side chat history.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
    + for that

Btw Rocket.Chat looks pretty solid now, but it's really Slack alternative, not Discord.
    Because Rocket.Chat devs close all issues about Discord/Mumble-like voice channel suggestions.

@Chris @dante969 @ScP

Please, pass this link to your developers:
    https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat#features
    Unfortunately, if TS5 lacks most of these functions, then it will not be able to be called modern
    I run one for a fairly large community. It's riddled with bugs and prone to crashing because MongoDB is hot garbage when it comes to memory management. The mobile apps don't work without a ton of extra effort and have baffling omissions compared to the responsive web app.

It doesn't feel like a finished product. By contrast, TeamSpeak 3 is very polished, its code has a very small footprint, and it always seems to work how you'd expect it to. But its text chat system has aged horribly to the point where it can only be used as a side utility for a community rather than being their main way to communicate. I honestly can't wait until we can abandon Rocket for something better.

We can't use Discord. One of their "trust and safety team" members has a personal grudge against me and my community. They have a huge problem with global moderator power abuse on their platform. That's honestly why I'm really hoping TeamSpeak steps up to the plate here. Because we already know the code will be solid. And it's your team, your rules.
    Last edited by Blumiere; January 29th, 2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Dante confirming video was exclusive for Gamescom attendees: https://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/...464#post461464

As your thread title partly describes already.
    The video that was shown there was exclusive for Gamescom attendees.
    And some other members of this forum saying they saw it at Gamescom.

https://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/...187#post464187

Thread Information