Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Instructions for Ubuntu Server 18.04 installation

I must be simply bad at finding updated instructions. I just setup a new ubuntu 18.04 server. Migration should be easy but I can't even get the TS server installed and working. I followed the instructions I had saved last time I installed my TS server everything seemed to go ok except I can't seem to create a service and get that to start. "Missing ts3server.pid" My instructions use sytemctl my understanding is I should be using systemd but I can't find any instructions.

Here are the current instructions I have used in the past. http://random-it-tips.wikia.com/wiki...n_Ubuntu_16.04

Can someone help guide me to some updated instructions?

1. Create directory /opt/teamspeak
    2. Dump everything from TS3 dist archive in there.
    3. Create local user named "teamspeak".
    4. Login as that user.
    5. Start the server.
    6. To make server run as a daemon, write systemd unit.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    1. Create directory /opt/teamspeak
    2. Dump everything from TS3 dist archive in there.
    3. Create local user named "teamspeak".
    4. Login as that user.
    5. Start the server.
    6. To make server run as a daemon, write systemd unit.
    Thanks for the reply I have a few questions.

1. Any reason to use /opt/teamspeak as opposed to /home/teamspeak?
    2. I understand this step.
    3. Understood.
    4. My instructions mentioned setting the user as disabled logon. Is there a reason to login as the user?
    5. assuming you mean start with ./ts3server start script
    6. Do you have some more detail here? Does it matter if this step is done under the teamspeak uesr or can it be done under my user?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions. Still very confused why my instructions worked on 16.04 but doesn't on 18.04.

1. Why mix program and data? That's just stupid.
    4. How would you run server maintenance or allow other administrators to connect safely to the query console? Of course you need active login for SSH to connect.
    5. No, with /opt/teamspeak/ts3server . Remember, binaries are in a different directory.
    6. I'm using this one
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=TeamSpeak3 voice server
    After=local-fs.target network-online.target
    Wants=network-online.target

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

[Service]
    Type=forking
    User=teamspeak

WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/teamspeak

StandardOutput=journal
    StandardError=journal

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/teamspeak3${LD_LIBRARY_PATH+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" "/opt/teamspeak3/ts3server" inifile="/var/lib/teamspeak/ts3.ini" &'

Restart=on-failure
    RestartSec=60s

KillMode=mixed
    KillSignal=SIGTERM
    TimeoutStopSec=60s

ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c '{ set -e; printf "Ensure we are not running as root..."; test $(id -u) -ne 0 && echo " we\x27re cool.";} >&2'
    ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c '{ set -e; echo "Ensure configuration file is readable..."; test -r "/var/lib/teamspeak/ts3.ini"; echo "Attempting to start server from \x27/var/lib/teamspeak/ts3.ini\x27...";} >&2'
    You can find more examples on the forum.
    Yes, /var/lib/teamspeak is my user's $HOME.
    Code:
    # adduser --system --ingroup=nogroup --disabled-password --gecos="teamspeak,,,,umask=0027" te
    amspeak
    Note: disabled-password is not the same as disabled login.

My linux noobness is hurting me here I'm afraid. I don't know enough to get where you are in your instructions. Vry sorry. I tried the instructions I posted again on a freshly spooled up server since they are so popular I figured I was doing something wrong. Also noticed that most folks are doing the steps as root so I tried that. But got exactly the same result when trying to start the service. See output of journalctl -xe

Code:
    -- Unit teamspeak.service has begun starting up.
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer ts3server_startscript.sh[5819]: Starting the TeamSpeak 3 server
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer ts3server_startscript.sh[5819]: /home/teamspeak/ts3server_startscript.sh: 42: /home/teamspeak/ts3server_startscript.sh: ./ts3server: not found
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer ts3server_startscript.sh[5819]: TeamSpeak 3 server could not start
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer systemd[1]: teamspeak.service: Can't open PID file /home/teamspeak/ts3server.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer systemd[1]: teamspeak.service: Failed with result 'protocol'.
    Jul 06 13:55:20 UbuntuServer systemd[1]: Failed to start Team Speak 3 Server.
    -- Subject: Unit teamspeak.service has failed
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
    --
    -- Unit teamspeak.service has failed.
    --
    -- The result is RESULT.

Also just tried extracting the files and running them as the teamspeak user following these instructions https://daniel-ziegler.com/computer/...-Ubuntu-18.04/

But again getting all these not found errors. I don't get it I see the files.. Starting to get salty, I've moved this server around maybe 4 times and have never had even a tiny bit of trouble installing. I can't even get it to start now, forget auto starting if I can't run it manually it'll never run as a service.

Code:
    [email protected]:/home/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64$ ./ts3server_startscript.sh start
    Starting the TeamSpeak 3 server
    ./ts3server_startscript.sh: 42: ./ts3server_startscript.sh: ./ts3server: not found
    TeamSpeak 3 server could not start
    [email protected]:/home/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64$ ls
    CHANGELOG  doc  libts3db_mariadb.so  libts3db_sqlite3.so  LICENSE  redist  serverquerydocs  sql  ts3server  ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh  ts3server_startscript.sh  tsdns
    Thinking maybe i need to back down to 16.04 and get it up and running there where i'm familiar. I think something has change is 18.04 and I'm pioneering at this point. I know i can install it on 16.04 then upgrade all the way to 18.04 without issue. Maybe I'll just do that... salt

Where did you find pidfile? What does it do to begin with?
    Setup your ini file with sane values first.

[spoiler]
    Code:
    # Example TS3 configuration file
    # $Id: ts3.ini 237 2015-07-16 07:27:00Z anrdaemon $

#  The physical path including the filename where your config file is located.
    #  This parameter only makes sense in the command line.
    #  Default: the config file is not used.
    #inifile=<empty>

#  If set to "1", the server will create an INI-style config file containing all commandline
    #  parameters with the values you have specified.
    #  This parameter only makes sense in the command line.
    #  Default: The server will not create a config file.
    #createinifile=0

#  If set to "1", the server database will be cleared before starting up the server. This is mainly
    #  used for testing. Usually this parameter should not be specified, so all server settings will be
    #  restored when the server process is restarted.
    #  Default: Database is not cleared on start.
    #clear_database=0

#  If set to "1", new permissions will not be added to existing groups automatically. Note that this
    #  can break your server configuration if you do not update them manually.
    #  Default: New permissions will be added to existing groups automatically.
    #no_permission_update=0

#  If set to "1", the server will open a console window. Note that this only affects Windows servers.
    #  Default: The console will be hidden on Windows.
    #open_win_console=0

#  If set to "1", the server will not display the initial password dialog on the first start. Note
    #  that this only affects Windows servers.
    #  Default: The initial password dialog will be shown.
    #no_password_dialog=0

#  IP on which the server instance will listen for incoming voice connections.
    #  Default: The server is bound on any IP address.
    #voice_ip=0.0.0.0

#  UDP port open for clients to connect to. This port is used by the first virtual server,
    #  subsequently started virtual servers will open on increasing port numbers.
    #  Default: The default voice port is 9987.
    #default_voice_port=9987

#  Normally one virtual server is created automatically when the TeamSpeak 3 Server process is
    #  started. To disable this behaviour, set this parameter to "0". In this case you have to start
    #  virtual servers manually using the ServerQuery interface.
    #  Default: If not provided, one virtual server is created.
    #create_default_virtualserver=1

#  Optional name of this server process to identify a group of servers with the same ID. This can be
    #  useful when running multiple TeamSpeak 3 Server instances on the same database. Please note that
    #  we strongly recommend that you do NOT run multiple server instances on the same SQLite database.
    #  Default: The server instance will not use a machine ID.
    #machine_id=<empty>

#  IP on which the file transfers are bound to. If you specify this parameter, you also need to
    #  specify the "filetransfer_port" parameter!
    #  Default: File transfers are bound on any IP address.
    #filetransfer_ip=0.0.0.0

#  TCP Port opened for file transfers. If you specify this parameter, you also need to specify the
    #  "filetransfer_ip" parameter!
    #  Default: The default file tranfer port is 30033.
    #filetransfer_port=30033

#  IP bound for incoming ServerQuery connections. If you specify this parameter, you also need to
    #  specify the "query_port" parameter!
    #  Default: ServerQuery connections are bound on any IP address.
    query_ip=127.0.0.1

#  TCP Port opened for ServerQuery connections. If you specify this parameter, need to specify the
    #  "query_ip" parameter!
    #  Default: The default ServerQuery port is 10011.
    query_port=10011

#  The physical path where the server will create logfiles.
    #  Default: The server will create logfiles in the "logs/" subdirectory.
    logpath=/var/log/teamspeak

#  Name of the database plugin library used by the server instance. For example, if you want to start
    #  the server with MariaDB/MySQL support, simply set this parameter to "ts3db_mariadb" to use the
    #  MariaDB plugin. Do NOT specify the "lib" prefix or the file extension of the plugin.
    #  Default: The default SQLite3 database plugin will be used.
    #dbplugin=ts3db_sqlite3
    #dbplugin=ts3db_mariadb

#  A custom parameter passed to the database plugin library. For example, the MariaDB database plugin
    #  supports a parameter to specify the physical path of the plugins configuration file.
    #  Default: The database plugin will be used without a parameter.
    #dbpluginparameter=<empty>

#  The physical path where your SQL script files are located.
    #  Default: The server will search for SQL script files in the "sql/" subdirectory.
    dbsqlpath=/opt/teamspeak3/sql/

#  The physical path where your SQL installation files are located. Note that this path will be added
    #  to the value of the "dbsqlpath" parameter.
    #  Default: The server will search for SQL installation scripts files in the
    #  "<dbsqlpath>/dbsqlcreatepath/" subdirectory.
    dbsqlcreatepath=create_sqlite

#  The physical path where your license file is located.
    #  Default: The license file is located in your servers installation directory.
    licensepath=/var/lib/teamspeak

#  The file containing whitelisted IP addresses for the ServerQuery interface. All hosts listed in
    #  this file will be ignored by the ServerQuery flood protection.
    #  Default: The whitelist file is located in your servers installation directory.
    query_ip_whitelist=/var/lib/teamspeak/query_ip_whitelist.txt

#  The file containing blacklisted IP addresses for the ServerQuery interface. All hosts listed in
    #  this file are not allowed to connect to the ServerQuery interface.
    #  Default: The whitelist file is located in your servers installation directory.
    query_ip_blacklist=/var/lib/teamspeak/query_ip_blacklist.txt

#  If set to "1", the server will skip bruteforce protection for whitelisted Ip addresses for the
    #  ServerQuery interface.
    #  Default: 0 -> bruteforce protection is enabled
    query_skipbruteforcecheck=1

#  Defines how many days to keep unused client identities. Auto-pruning is triggered on every start
    #  and on every new month while the server is running.
    #  Default: The server will auto-prune client identities older than 90 days.
    #dbclientkeepdays=90

#  Defines how many days to keep database log entries. Auto-pruning is triggered on every start and
    #  on every new month while the server is running.
    #  Default: The server will auto-prune log entries older than 90 days.
    #dblogkeepdays=90

#  If set to "1", the server will log every ServerQuery command executed by clients. This can be
    #  useful while trying to diagnose several different issues.
    #  Default: ServerQuery commands will not be logged.
    logquerycommands=1

#  The number of database connections used by the server. Please note that changing this value can
    #  have an affect on your servers performance. Possible values are 2-100.
    #  Default: The server will use 10 database connections.
    #dbconnections=10

#  If set to "1", the server will not create a new logfile on every start. Instead, the log output
    #  will be appended to the previous logfile. The logfile name will only contain the ID of the virtual
    #  server.
    #  Default: The server will create a new logfile on every start.
    logappend=1
    [/spoiler]

Thread Information