Forum

[Suggestion] Server Side Voice Broadcasting

My group fairly recently switched back to TS from mumble (cause ewww... mumble... who wants to go back to 2002 just to talk to people?) and there is one feature that was available on mumble that is not on teamspeak that we would love to see.

This would be the ability to set channels to broadcast to other channels, or groups in channels (whether they be server or channel groups) to broadcast to other channels. Mumble also had the option for 2 PTT keys which helped with this. The local key was used to speak only to the current channel, and the normal PTT was used to talk to the channel+any linked channels.

My context for this feature is EVE Online fleets, so I am sorry if the context of this example makes no sense to you, but it is the only way I can think to explain it.

Example:

Fleet Commander Channel - Where the people that are leading the fleet sit. This channel can be used with the local key to coordinate amongst themselves (like you can do with channel commander) or if you use your normal PTT you can broadcast to the fleet. Can recieve voice from fleet channel.

Fleet Channel - Receives voice from FC channel when they use normal PTT. Can talk amongst themselves with local key so they dont annoy/distract the fleet commanders.

Quiet Channel - For people that just want to hear the orders and not be bothered by the rest of the fleet's banter. Only receives from Fleet commander channel, users in this channel can not talk.

As you can imagine this kind of set up can get very complex, but it is also extremely powerful when set up properly. I imagine that this type of thing would be useful for other games/applications as well. Teamspeak claims to be used by NASA and DoD, I am sure they would have a use for this type of feature too.

Simply let commanders set up a whisperlist with all three channels as target.

Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    Simply let commanders set up a whisperlist with all three channels as target.
    That would not be the same thing at all. Firstly that is purely 1 way, secondly that requires all users to have their clients set up properly.

The suggested feature allows for 2 way communication between channels, and does not rely on assuming that all the users know how to set up whisper keys properly.

Also there are only so many keys on a keyboard, and having 1 whisper key for each set of fleet channels is in some cases not possible. To give context the scale of engagements that happen in an eve online fleet regularly see over 1000 people on each side. Right now most groups have a preference for mumble due to this feature specifically. (And slot limitations, but that is less of an issue)

Hi Col. Crunch,
    sorry, I read over the bidirectional requirement, which I can see causes a bit of a hassle due to the vast increase of folks that need to set up a list to communicate explicitely back to the commander channel.

To be clear, channel linking is a feature that's been discussed since way back and no one's saying we don't like it. It'd indeed be the most convenient way to set such up. It's just that it hasn't fought its way up on our todo list since then up to a point where I could exclude the possibility that by the time the techs announce they've fixed the intercoms you've lost the battle.

Right now, the only way I see is getting creative with whisperlists.
    Just to mention it, a setup I regularly see is a squad channel having a channel commander, and only he or she communicates with the commander channel - reducing the amount of people that actually whisper.

I'm not entirely sure about that whisper key per set of fleet channels sentence. Is this about ppl switching fleets making a hard-set target channel list too inflexible? Maybe something the more arcane options in whisper group target, like channel family or subchannels would help with? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about that whisper key per set of fleet channels sentence. Is this about ppl switching fleets making a hard-set target channel list too inflexible? Maybe something the more arcane options in whisper group target, like channel family or subchannels would help with? Please elaborate.
    So to to use my teamspeak as an example, we have 3 sets of fleet channels. If one set is in use already, you just move down and use the next. So as whisper lists are not relative, you would have to either set the target each time you use a different channel set, or have a different whisper key for each set of channels.

Also, thank you foe the in-depth response.

Thread Information