Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

How do I use voice activation AND push to talk?

I use mainly voice activation because who has time to push to talk while ingame?

However, some times I don't want to worry about whether or not I'm talking loud enough to activate the microphone, so I want to be able to hold a button to open the mic. Is this possible at all while I have voice activation enabled?

I've looked around and seen some people suggest using voice activation and binding a push-to-talk key in the key bindings. I have done this, but the push-to-talk key doesn't do anything when I'm using voice activation.

Thanks in advance.

Enable advanced options in capture to show this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    Enable advanced options in capture to show this feature.
    If you're talking about "Voice Activation Detection while using Push-To-Talk", that's the exact opposite of what I'm requesting.

I want to use Voice Activation, but also have a push-to-talk button that keeps the mic active.

The option you suggest just adds voice activation to push-to-talk, so the mic doesn't activate unless there's a certain level of noise even though you're holding the push-to-talk button.

I've found a good workaround with no side-effects (at least I haven't found any yet).

Set up 2 capture profiles, one for Voice Activation and one for Continuous Transmission, then set up hotkeys to toggle to the Continuous Transmission capture profile when you press down, and toggles back when you release. Set the Voice Activation capture profile to be used by default in your bookmarks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 1.PNG 
Views:	114 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	16903

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.PNG 
Views:	91 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	16904

Now you can use Voice Activation most of the time, but also temporarily switch to continuous transmission / open microphone while you're holding a button. No need to worry about the voice activation cutting you off mid-sentence when you're talking outside a game.

Out of the top of my head, no, the VAD code is gonna be like voice not loud enough, thou shall not pass.
    I have not made my mind up yet entirely about potential unwanted side effects of changing that condition (it is late and way too hot!). However it is noted to not be all one could wish for at this point.
    That said, there should be workarounds you could try, using a cloned capture profile.
    Variant a would be one profile with VAD, one with PTT, and hotkeys to toggle between those modes in effect.
    Variant b, the more immediate one, would set the second profile to continuous transmition and set up a hotkey for onkey down second profile onkey up first profile.
    That second variant might stress the audio system a bit, depending on how the profile switch code was written exactly, so I am unsure if the experience is as fluid as required.

Well, apparently I was too late hitting that reply button

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thorwe View Post
    Well, apparently I was too late hitting that reply button

The strange thing is, I've been annoyed by this issue for ages but as soon as I post a question about it I figure it out myself moments later.

So far my workaround hasn't caused any issues, though I have only been testing it for a couple of hours.

It would be really nice if the push-to-talk keybind also worked when using Voice Activation. I don't see why it shouldn't, what issues would it cause?

Pressing and speaking should be compulsory, when you have been playing for so long you know what is best, many people use the left crl key, it is very annoying to hear breaths, food bags, television in the background, family screaming, and other noises that nobody is interested, in teamspeak most people use it, when you enter discord, you see that nobody uses it and that is always a cricket house

Quote Originally Posted by skorpe View Post
    Pressing and speaking should be compulsory, when you have been playing for so long you know what is best, many people use the left crl key, it is very annoying to hear breaths, food bags, television in the background, family screaming, and other noises that nobody is interested, in teamspeak most people use it, when you enter discord, you see that nobody uses it and that is always a cricket house
    A properly configured voice activation detection will behave pretty much behave exactly like Push to talk for 99% of the time, but without the tedious burden of having to press a key all the time.
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A properly configured voice activation detection will behave pretty much behave exactly like Push to talk for 99% of the time, but without the tedious burden of having to press a key all the time.
    that's very true, but few people spend a lot of time configuring well and doing a good thing, well configured nothing would notice the difference of one method or another

Thread Information