Forum

Run TS3 Server with (old?) NPL license on Shared Hosting

Hello,

I am thankful licensee of an old-style (?) NPL-license for 2 virtual servers and (I think) 250 slots since 2009.

I plan to switch hosting from my current VPS/root-server to a shared hosting provider ( https://uberspace.de/ ). I tried starting a TS3 server without license on uberspace, but get the following error:

Code:
    local accounting reports an already running instance, instance will shutdown
    Which makes sense, because it's not a VPS, and I guess someone else is already running a TS3 server without license on the same host.

My question is: Will I be able and allowed to run a TS3 server using my NPL license with this kind of shared hosting? Or will I get the same error? Do I need to stay with a VPS? I won't try it without asking, because frankly, I am a bit scared of losing my license after all the recent changes in licensing.

Thanks for any info.

Running TeamSpeak on shared webhosting is not supported, so we don't give support for it here. Being able to run custom software on a webhosting plan at all doesn't make a hosting company look professional. Webhosting SSH should be restricted to backup management (tar, wget, scp), everything else is extremely dangerous.
    You are supposed to run TeamSpeak on a VPS where you have potentially root privileges (though TeamSpeak must not be run as root). Given that even 128 MB of RAM is an overkill for TeamSpeak, you should accept a cost of around 1 euro a month or so for a VPS.

For NPLs, here's an overview:
    2009–2011 NPL: 512 slots, 10 virtual servers, unlimited IPs (though only 10 make sense and TeamSpeak doesn't like using the NPL on multiple servers)
    2011–2013 NPL: 512 slots, 10 virtual servers, fixed IP
    2013–2018 NPL: 512 slots, 2 virtual servers, fixed IP
    2018+ NPL: TBA number of slots, 1 virtual server, fixed IP
    (I'm not sure if fixed IP limitation was added in 2011 or 2012.)
    Last edited by numma_cway; August 10th, 2018 at 05:39 PM.

The fixes IP limitation must have been after April 2011. I got my NPL in april 2011 and it is definitely not IP bound, because I changed VPS since then more then four times. And it was always: stop server, move server directory to new server and start server. Never had any problems by doing this.

Thread Information