Forum

Set country in server for web server list

It would be good to put to server administrators to be able to change the nationality of the server, some permission something similar. for servers that have nationality of a certain country even being hosted on a foreign machine appear in the list of servers.

Sorry for bad English.

To my understanding, the purpose of the country is being able to find servers which are geographically near you or in the middle between you and your mates for optimal latency. I don't think it's meant to indicate which "nationality" is supposed to use that server.

Also, this suggestion was AFAIK rejected earlier.

I gave this tip because many countries do not have a good quality and with a good price for hosting, here in Brazil you pay 4 times more for a lodging of poor quality, it is not worth just keeping a servidro here.
    I saw the list of servers after it left teamspeak client 3.2.2
    has at most 5 servers that have a valid license
    so I gave this suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHost View Post
    To my understanding, the purpose of the country is being able to find servers which are geographically near you or in the middle between you and your mates for optimal latency. I don't think it's meant to indicate which "nationality" is supposed to use that server.
    That makes zero sense for that kind of functionality. Just show a ping number in that case. Otherwise we can start to show country flags in games or enterprise software as well. I don't know what is further away from me. Cambodia or uzbekistan. I really don't know. But wit ha ping number I will know it easily.

It must be meant for the "speaking language". Otherwise I can only come up with legal stuff which is different form country to country and that is the indicator for that. But most likely its more of an legacy feature.

I think the way the list was built, it doesn't support pinging which would have to be done from the client side in order to be accurate. This also means they'd probably have to send the full list to the clients so they can do the sorting which would mean a lot more load on the list servers (which is already a problem if I remember correctly).

Instead, I suppose they do the geo location lookup once when the server reports to the list and all the filtering an sorting happens on the server side in order to reduce the size of the result set.

What they'd need is what the server browsers in games do and I remember many of those being sort of a weak spot with horrible usability so I suppose it's not exactly an easy task to build something like that.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the background of this feature. I'm not saying it's good by any means. Overall, the server list could use some work.

I'm with Noslec, like him I have a ts3 server hosted in France but the speaking language is Italian. (due to price/performance ratio)
    Most people search servers based on nationality, to solve this problem I published the server on different lists of servers that have this function (change the flag).

Thread Information