Forum

COMPLETE process of Teamspeak 3.4.0 install on Ubuntu server 18.04.1 LTS

Hey guys,
    I have gone thru many tutorials on how to install Teamspeak on Ubuntu server and set it up to run on boot. Some of them were incomplete, some were completely wrong, basically I'm going to show you how I did it, and I belive it's best approach. Feel free to drop suggestions on how to improve this process if you have some.

I like to do all my server installs by myself, rather than having script from someone and I don't know what's happening in background.

I am using MobaXterm as SSH and SFTP manager, it's free and I suggest you as well to use it.

1. Login to your Ubuntu server via SSH (I have used latest version of Ubuntu LTS at this time "18.04.1")

Code:
    sudo su
    use this to access root of your server

Code:
    adduser teamspeak
    we create new user for teamspeak purposes

Code:
    sudo su teamspeak
    very important step, please don't forget this command because we do not want to handle our install as root, we want to do it with "teamspeak" user account

Code:
    cd ~
    just to make sure that we are in right directory

Code:
    wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.4.0/teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.4.0.tar.bz2
    you can get this link by going to Teamspeak official website https://teamspeak.com/en/downloads/#server and pick correct version.

Code:
    tar xvjf teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.4.0.tar.bz2
    unzip zipped file you just downloaded (it will make new folder for it)

Code:
    cd teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.4.0
    go into that directory

Code:
    mv * ../
    this command will move ALL file from that directory to one directory up

Code:
    cd ~
    again, to make sure that we are in right directory (by default it should be "/home/teamspeak")

Code:
    rmdir teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.4.0
    this will remove empty directory

Code:
    rm teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64-3.4.0.tar.bz2
    this will remove zipped file that we downloaded

Code:
    nano
    will open text editor (we need to create file that proves that we have accepted licence). No that you are inside nano editor, you don't need to type anything, file should be completely empty. Hit "CTRL + O" to save file, and name it ".ts3server_license_accepted". CTRL + X is to exit nano editor

Code:
    touch .ts3server_license_accepted
    this will confirm that we have accepted licence

Code:
    ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh start
    when you run this command, your server will start, and it will show you all data needed (token key for admin, server query...) store that keys on safe place

Code:
    CTRL + C
    to stop server

Code:
    ts3server_startscript.sh start
    this will run complete teamspeak server (run this command to verify that server is actually running)

18. Now it's time to set up for teamspeak server to run on Ubuntu server startup. First restart your Ubuntu server using "reboot" command

Code:
    sudo su
    to access root again (or you can skip this step if you are already in sudoers list)

Code:
    sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/teamspeak.service
    this will open blank file using nano editor, we need to put our teamspeak service there

21. Paste the following code inside nano editor (of course change "working directory" if you used different path)
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=TeamSpeak 3 Server
    After=network.target
    [Service]
    WorkingDirectory=/home/teamspeak/
    User=teamspeak
    Group=teamspeak
    Type=forking
    ExecStart=/home/teamspeak/ts3server_startscript.sh start inifile=ts3server.ini
    ExecStop=/home/teamspeak/ts3server_startscript.sh stop
    PIDFile=/home/teamspeak/ts3server.pid
    RestartSec=15
    Restart=always
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

22. Save the file "CTRL + O" and hit enter, then exit nano with "CTRL + X"

Code:
    systemctl --system daemon-reload
    This is basically "soft reload" to apply changed configurations

Code:
    systemctl enable teamspeak.service
    this is to enable teamspeak as a service to autostart with Ubuntu server

Code:
    systemctl start teamspeak.service
    this will start your newly created teamspeak server on Ubuntu server. Now feel free to reboot, shutdown your Ubuntu server at any time, the moment Ubuntu server is up, Teamspeak server is up as well. This is method that doesn't require much of your attention anymore, you just do it one time, and then keep up with regular updates of server.

It's wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Alright, maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it? Isn't point here to share knowledge?

Why didn't you check the hash of the downloaded archive?

If he say that it is working on different ways then you may give him a try.

Quote Originally Posted by florian2833z View Post
    Why didn't you check the hash of the downloaded archive?
    I have not done it, since we are downloading from teamspeak legitimate source, it's not like we downloaded pirated version. But I guess checking for hash could be nice. Anyways, if anyone wants to check for hash, to make sure you can do it with following command : First cd into /home/teamspeak/ ... after that run this code
    Code:
    sha256sum <path-to-file>
    the compare it with already provided link for teamspeak server, if it matches, you got correct file.

Quote Originally Posted by MCGamingDE View Post
    If he say that it is working on different ways then you may give him a try.
    I agree, but if you check his profile, he is troll, running around forums and ... well , I don't know what he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Please do share your wisdom with us? Or it takes you 2 days to write your "proper" guide on how to install teamspeak server?

Quote Originally Posted by MilanceX View Post
    Alright, maybe you can tell me what's wrong with it? Isn't point here to share knowledge?
    You didn't take time to search forums before posting your "instructions".
    There's two guides already (that I'm aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by MilanceX View Post
    I have not done it, since we are downloading from teamspeak legitimate source, it's not like we downloaded pirated version. But I guess checking for hash could be nice.
    You think you are downloading it directly from teamspeak.com but instead it comes from a **** mirror that doesn't even support https.

Quote Originally Posted by florian2833z View Post
    You think you are downloading it directly from teamspeak.com but instead it comes from a **** mirror that doesn't even support https.
    If you read my words again, you will notice that I have said "we are downloading from teamspeak legitimate source", I never said that we are downloading from teamspeak server itself. I am well aware of website not having https, but I do not belive that you should be afraid of MITM, if something like that happens, they will be able to change hash as well... Again IF you are talking about security issues, if you are talking about integrity of downloaded file (corrupted, not finished, etc) then yes, comparing hash should be done. I personally do not do it, because of stable internet connection, and not paranoid about MITM. Anyways, yes, checking hash is always a good idea.

Edit by mod (counts for everyone)
    Some posts got moved to thread https://forum.teamspeak.com/threads/...ropriate-posts. Playing the extinguisher for this thread. Please treat yourself and others nice.
    Last edited by dante696; October 17th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Information