Forum

How do I link an IP address to a subdomain on Digital Ocean?

I have a teamspeak server that I got working on a server that is hosted through digital ocean. I can connect to it via IP, however when I try to connect to it via domain name it errors out. I followed this tutorial to set it up and tried this. I've tried to apply the settings mentioned in the second section in this namecheap article.

My settings are as follows:

A record:

Hostname: ts.www.mywebsite.com
    Value: Droplet IP address
    TTL: 3600

SRV record:

Hostname: _ts3._udp.ts.www.mywebsite.com
    Target: ts.mywebsite.com
    Port: 9987
    TTL: 43200
    Priority: 0
    Weight: 5

My website is www.mywebsite.com. I want there to be a subdomain called ts.mywebsite.com for teamspeak3. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Mockapapella View Post
    My settings are as follows:

Hostname: _ts3._udp.ts.www.mywebsite.com

I want there to be a subdomain called ts.mywebsite.com for teamspeak3. What am I doing wrong?
    Do you see your error now?

You're also redirecting your SRV to a non existent subdomain (unless you did create the A(AAA) record for that and just didn't list it in your post).
    When sending PMs please make sure to include a reference link to the thread in question in the body of your message.

Why are you even using SRV for server that is running on default port on a subdomain? It connects a bit faster sometimes, but doesn't give you any functional benefit in this case. SRV makes most sense if the server is not running on the default port and/or its DNS is used for something other than TeamSpeak. Explained here.

I've changed the settings to the following:

A record:

Hostname: ts.mywebsite.com
    Value: Droplet IP address
    TTL: 3600

I'm only running a single TS3 server.

"(unless you did create the A(AAA) record for that and just didn't list it in your post)."

Everything I have configured I have listed in my post.

To numma_cway, I've never done something like this before so I'm kind of going in blind trying things out that I see on the net. Thanks a ton for the infographic. I've removed the SRV configuration and am left with just the A record. This doesn't work either, however I cross posted this question to reddit and there was a user there who suggested that it might be a case of the domain not propegating to all the worldwide DNS servers. I think I'll wait a bit for that and then try to connect via domain name later.

I figured it out. Turns out I had to set up the subdomain on namecheap.com to point towards my digitalocean server which was hosting the teamspeak server. I just used the above settings for namecheap.

Thread Information