Forum

Audio/ Codec can only select Opus

Hi any one have problem change codec? I have only two choice Opus Voice and Opus Music . I try two different TS3 servers where I Am admin same problem .
    Last edited by dante696; April 9th, 2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: renamed thread to match content

That's the intended behavior for latest server.
    We want to remove the ancient codecs in 2 steps.

Change log from server 3.7.0
    Code:
    Removed: Legacy codecs (Speex, CELT) can no longer be selected when creating
             or editing channels. Support for these codecs will be removed with
             future server releases.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

SPEEX Codecs lassen sich nicht aktivieren

Hi,
    Ich nutze Teamspeak schon sehr länge und komme eigentlich auch sehr gut damit zurecht, nun habe ich folgendes Problem: ich kann auf einmal keine Channel codec mehr benutzen.. (SPEEX) , die lassen sich einfach nicht mehr aktivieren, trotz das ich als Admin alle Rechte vom Server habe, sogar die Clientrechte..
    Mit der serveradmin Quarry lässt sich auch nichts verändern.. error: invalid parameter (Fehlercode: 1538)

Ich benutze die Teamspeak Serverversion: Version:3.8.0 on Linux
    Ich benutze die Teampeak Client version: Version:3.2.5 (17.04.2019 18:07:33) [Stable] on Windows

Gibt es da etwas bestimmtest was ich beachten sollte?
    Also laut Rang, sind bereits alle codecs erlaubt und es werden auch alle zum auswählen bei edit Channel angezeigt ... alle bis auf die SPEEX codecs
    Last edited by dante696; June 12th, 2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: merged

Das ganze ist kein Bug.
    Die alten Codecs werden nach und nach entfernt und der erste Schritt war die Auswahl zu deaktivieren.
    Es gibt seit Server 3.7.0 kein Recht mehr dieses Recht zu setzen.

Code:
    === Server Release 3.7.0 19 March 2019

Removed: Legacy codecs (Speex, CELT) can no longer be selected when creating
             or editing channels. Support for these codecs will be removed with
             future server releases.
    Last edited by dante696; June 12th, 2019 at 10:40 AM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Well many of us like the higher quality codecs and frankly Opus voice and opus music even at level 10 quality are really bad compared to some of the other ones. I forget if it was Speex or CELT but I am truly disappointed at losing a LOT of sound quality to this.

Moreover, you have masses of uninformed droning on how "Discord is better" and now you remove the better codecs and leave us with options that sound muddy as all hell.

This is not going to help Teamspeak at all!!! What are you doing? What are you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Horrux View Post
    Well many of us like the higher quality codecs and frankly Opus voice and opus music even at level 10 quality are really bad compared to some of the other ones. I forget if it was Speex or CELT but I am truly disappointed at losing a LOT of sound quality to this.

Moreover, you have masses of uninformed droning on how "Discord is better" and now you remove the better codecs and leave us with options that sound muddy as all hell.

This is not going to help Teamspeak at all!!! What are you doing? What are you thinking?
    If Speex is so much better, how do you explain this statement on the official Speex website?

Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-24 Speex a free codec for free speech.png
Views: 447
Size:  13.5 KB

TeamSpeak removes old technology because the maintainers themselves say it's obsolete.

Besides that, the whole quality discussion is a highly subjective topic and I don't understand why people are turning this into a matter of "scientific research".

It just doesn't matter because TeamSpeak is meant for voice communication and it's pretty damn good for that.

It wasn't made for broadcasting in lossless 100% quality. It was made for letting your teammates know what's going on in your multiplayer game as fast a possible.

With that in mind, TeamSpeak goes far beyond it's designated purpose by even offering something like Opus Music.

People are even using it for doing podcasts and some other amazing stuff and most people are perfectly happy with Opus and are not even aware that these old codecs even exits since Opus has been the default for ages.

Can we now please stop this pointless bashing for things which TeamSpeak is actually doing right?

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHost View Post
    If Speex is so much better, how do you explain this statement on the official Speex website?

Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-24 Speex a free codec for free speech.png
Views: 447
Size:  13.5 KB

TeamSpeak removes old technology because the maintainers themselves say it's obsolete.

Besides that, the whole quality discussion is a highly subjective topic and I don't understand why people are turning this into a matter of "scientific research".

It just doesn't matter because TeamSpeak is meant for voice communication and it's pretty damn good for that.

It wasn't made for broadcasting in lossless 100% quality. It was made for letting your teammates know what's going on in your multiplayer game as fast a possible.

With that in mind, TeamSpeak goes far beyond it's designated purpose by even offering something like Opus Music.

People are even using it for doing podcasts and some other amazing stuff and most people are perfectly happy with Opus and are not even aware that these old codecs even exits since Opus has been the default for ages.

Can we now please stop this pointless bashing for things which TeamSpeak is actually doing right?
    I wasn't aware there was such bashing. All I know is one of my TS3 servers, which I use for exactly what you wrote, podcasts, seems to sound muddy now, whereas it seemed clearer in the past. And now that I'm thinking about it, the AC unit right next to my desk was on when I did my test recording for this upcoming season, forcing the noise reduction to kick in, long story short, it doesn't sound as good.

My fault, let's move on... Sorry.

I somehow doubt that. In every test I did, the opus codec was better than the speex ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Horrux View Post
    And now that I'm thinking about it, the AC unit right next to my desk was on when I did my test recording for this upcoming season, forcing the noise reduction to kick in, long story short, it doesn't sound as good.

My fault, let's move on... Sorry.
    Yeah, the first thing I turn off is all the noise reduction and automatic gain stuff because a half-decent audio setup usually doesn't need it. It just reduces quality significantly. I didn't even think about the fact that many people probably have it enabled to compensate for their lack of a proper audio setup.

But this gives me ideas for TeamSpeak 5. The initial setup procedure should probably provide an option to disable all audio "enhancements" for those who use a studio setup.

Why remove this?

What is the point of removing these codecs?

I really liked using the legacy ones from time to time because it sounds like trash and its pretty funny to switch to randomly when I'm in a server with my friends. + recreates that modern warfare 2 vibe with it using the same codec.

But now you make it impossible to do this. By not only removing them but also disallowing the running of an older teamspeak server.

They don't take up anything. It's better to have the option then not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joefisx20s View Post
    because it sounds like trash
    That's exactly the reason.

Thread Information