Forum

Debug TS-Server to find origin of packetloss?

Hello there,

since a few weeks and the initial update to server version 3.8.0 there is a problem with some packetloss occuring.

Server specs:
    VPS, 2 cores, 4GB RAM, KVM based, Ubuntu 18.04, TS version 3.9.0

Problem:
    During evening times where over 50 people are on the server, some - not all people - start getting some packetloss.
    (incoming loss - yet hearable up to 25%) Ping shown inside TS-Client goes up as well (e.g. 70+-20ms)
    Whereas a ping via cmd shows a constant 15ms. All hops checked with WinMTR are normal.
    In the same time the load average is unremarkable.

How can I debug the problem further? Could it be a load issue with the server hardware?
    Why is the ping in the client so different to the actual one?
    Provider offered switching server to OpenVZ, but thats no option due to NPL restrictions. Any further ideas? I'll glady appreaciate your help.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyFour View Post
    not all people
    So this is not a TeamSpeak-related question. Ask or change your host.

Some notes:
    - WinMTR is an ancient piece of software. The website has been shut down and the newest release is from 2011. Many people will be using IPv6 today to connect to your server. WinMTR doesn't know about IPv6.
    - WinMTR uses ICMP. Hops may react differently depending on whether it's TCP, UDP or ICMP. TeamSpeak is UDP. Other services might be using TCP. Hops might also react differently to ports.
    - You do not debug TeamSpeak as you do not have any way to do so. Plus, as said before, this issue is not TeamSpeak-related.

Quote Originally Posted by numma_cway View Post
    So this is not a TeamSpeak-related question. Ask or change your host.
    That's exactly why I posted. I wanna exclude that it had anything to do with my teamspeak setup. I appreciate your opinion, but just a "not all people" isn't a diagnosis for me. There must be something better than blindly swapping hosters. I mean I cannot be the only person running teamspeak at that hoster, having such a problem.
    Especially since it did not occur back in 3.7.1 days.

WinMTR is an ancient piece of software. The website has been shut down and the newest release is from 2011. Many people will be using IPv6 today to connect to your server. WinMTR doesn't know about IPv6.
    WinMTR uses ICMP. Hops may react differently depending on whether it's TCP, UDP or ICMP. TeamSpeak is UDP. Other services might be using TCP. Hops might also react differently to ports.
    I'm aware of that fact. I also asked why there was such a big difference between my teamspeak ping and a ping via the OS console...
    I mean you could also recommend me a tool being more suitable (perhaps using UDP protocol), than just bashing my choise.[/QUOTE]

You do not debug TeamSpeak as you do not have any way to do so.
    I have no idea whether you can or cannot, that's the reason for me posting in the support forum. To find out if there are any logs or data to analyse.

Thread Information