Forum

Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Summary of the new Informations about TS5 on the Gamescom (Day 1)
    Ok guys, first of all, sorry for the delay. But now to the informations. Please remember that these informations are from a TeamSpeak staff member, but even he could be wrong aswell. But he seemed to know pretty much everything.

What does SOON(tm) mean?
    The guy I talked to wanted to just give me a hint, but he basicly told me about everything
    If we search for the term "soon tm" on google, we will find some things about Blizzard, who did the same. SOON(tm) just means it is coming, but there is no specific date for it currently (or they just won't tell) which is the case as ScP said. They won't be making any commitments to a date before they are 10000% sure about it.
    But I also got told that it DOES say something about when it will launch. But that hint got obsolete as I was talking to him. Just keep reading

Current state
    As I said, they are currently in the last stage before the release (of the beta) and they are testing heavy loads to make sure everything works fine as they launch it(not like other things... I'm looking at you Riot Games and TFT)
    If these tests finish successfully, and currently it looks very promising, they want to start the beta in around 2-3 weeks from now. In case that the tests fail, it will probably take another 2 months or so.

Whats coming next?
    So, when they launch the beta, they will first give access to the competition winners and around 1000 registered people. Then they want to give access to all of the registered testers slowly. About a month after the first wave of testers, everyone should have access to it. They will be adjusting the amount and the speed of how many and how fast people get to use TS5 daily depending on the current situation and stability.

So, no release on the Gamescom?
    Well, the short version is no.
    The long version is, they wanted to, but they couldn't. I'm a developer myself and I know things usually don't work as planned. I won't blame them for not giving us TeamSpeak 5 on the Gamescom. Neither should you. We got so many informations about TS5 instead, which is a huge progress.

Why does it take so long?
    Well, that one is interesting. They started developing TeamSpeak 5 and they were pretty much finished and had the launch date set to Q4/2018. But as I said, things in development usually don't go as planned and they just felt like TS5 like it was back then wasn't good enough for the community. They just weren't satisfied with it, and how should we be if they are not. So they decided to almost rebuild it from scratch. Thats why it took them so long to let us have TS5 in our hands.

The Competition winner badge
    I also asked him about the TS5 Competition Winner badge. He told me that the badge was never meant to be only for the TS5 competition. It was just kind of a misscommunitcation. They will be using that badge for other competitions aswell.

The Permission System
    This was more of a personal thing as I work a lot with the permission system in TS. The permission system will remain the same, but the simplified UI got an improved version. That's all

TS5 and myTeamSpeak
    So, I usually thought about TS5 requiring a myTeamSpeak account to also verify that you have access to the TS5 beta. But thats not the case. TS5 is also working without myTeamSpeak. But if i remember correctly, he said that some features will require myTeamSpeak.

Last words (for now)
    That's it for now folks. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. I recommend just contacting me on IG (@maikunity_) so I'll get a notification and can ask them instantly Also I will probably be streaming the event there, feel free to give it a peak.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDariusAD View Post
    Ok guys, first of all, sorry for the delay. But now to the informations. Please remember that these informations are from a TeamSpeak staff member, but even he could be wrong aswell. But he seemed to know pretty much everything.

What does SOON(tm) mean?
    The guy I talked to wanted to just give me a hint, but he basicly told me about everything
    If we search for the term "soon tm" on google, we will find some things about Blizzard, who did the same. SOON(tm) just means it is coming, but there is no specific date for it currently (or they just won't tell) which is the case as ScP said. They won't be making any commitments to a date before they are 10000% sure about it.
    But I also got told that it DOES say something about when it will launch. But that hint got obsolete as I was talking to him. Just keep reading

Current state
    As I said, they are currently in the last stage before the release (of the beta) and they are testing heavy loads to make sure everything works fine as they launch it(not like other things... I'm looking at you Riot Games and TFT)
    If these tests finish successfully, and currently it looks very promising, they want to start the beta in around 2-3 weeks from now. In case that the tests fail, it will probably take another 2 months or so.

Whats coming next?
    So, when they launch the beta, they will first give access to the competition winners and around 1000 registered people. Then they want to give access to all of the registered testers slowly. About a month after the first wave of testers, everyone should have access to it. They will be adjusting the amount and the speed of how many and how fast people get to use TS5 daily depending on the current situation and stability.

The long version is, they wanted to, but they couldn't. I'm a developer myself and I know things usually don't work as planned. I won't blame them for not giving us TeamSpeak 5 on the Gamescom. Neither should you. We got so many informations about TS5 instead, which is a huge progress.

Well, that one is interesting. They started developing TeamSpeak 5 and they were pretty much finished and had the launch date set to Q4/2018. But as I said, things in development usually don't go as planned and they just felt like TS5 like it was back then wasn't good enough for the community. They just weren't satisfied with it, and how should we be if they are not. So they decided to almost rebuild it from scratch. Thats why it took them so long to let us have TS5 in our hands.

I also asked him about the TS5 Competition Winner badge. He told me that the badge was never meant to be only for the TS5 competition. It was just kind of a misscommunitcation. They will be using that badge for other competitions aswell.

The Permission System
    This was more of a personal thing as I work a lot with the permission system in TS. The permission system will remain the same, but the simplified UI got an improved version. That's all

TS5 and myTeamSpeak
    So, I usually thought about TS5 requiring a myTeamSpeak account to also verify that you have access to the TS5 beta. But thats not the case. TS5 is also working without myTeamSpeak. But if i remember correctly, he said that some features will require myTeamSpeak.

Last words (for now)
    That's it for now folks. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. I recommend just contacting me on IG (@maikunity_) so I'll get a notification and can ask them instantly Also I will probably be streaming the event there, feel free to give it a peak.
    Thanks for the information, excited to even get a glimpse of it this year. I don't have an IG but if you see this in time what about the micro-site? That's all I'm personally caring about. Everything else can change. I just want to see what they have NOW and am excited to see it grow.

My question is then: Do they have ANY features or gameplan to actually compete with Discord? If all they are doing is upgrading Teamspeak (playing catchup with discord) then what is the incentive to actually use Teamspeak over Discord if the majority of the players have left and are using the competition? Surely they have something to win some back? Name, Logo, Timspeak, Badges, these are NOT enough to say you are better than discord.

It would have been better for them to have Sorry™ because we already know it would be coming Soon™ ...
    Last edited by Trunkz Jr; August 22nd, 2019 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jehova View Post
    You need myTeamspeak for the Global Chats!
    global as in worldwide? talking with people that are not on your current server?

Usually within ts3, you have server and channel chat, I can understand if someone referred to server chat as global chat, would be weird to have that behind a myts wall

Quote Originally Posted by jehova View Post
    You need myTeamspeak for the Global Chats!
    Yeah you will need it for your contacts. The features he talked about were the contacts and chats, but i wasn't sure so I didn't write it down on the main post
    I think it will be similar to the current offline messaging system. But that's just my assumption.

I will visit them on friday or saturday, I think he is annoyed by all my questions We dont want to amek him mad huh

Quote Originally Posted by MrDariusAD View Post

What does SOON(tm) mean?

Current state

Whats coming next?

The Permission System

TS5 and myTeamSpeak

Last words (for now)

I believe the developers and staff members still read this thread:

What happens if you do not release TS5 on Gamescom 2019?
    People will lose hope, you have this one big opportunity to kick start your dying VOIP. Gamers from every corner of the world have eyes on gamescom 2019. Most of the communities were asking for sponsorship because they had some hope of getting TS5. No release ofc because it needs to be beta tested first but a release date announcement from gamescom will also be heard around the globe.

The long promised Microsite
    At least as part of the marketting gig you should have released a microsite with the release date announcement and some good features showcasing your long secret development. Eventually the software is meant to be for the people and not for yourself eh? The microsite was promised in the first week of January and since then you have neither confirmed nor denied the release of microsite to showcase the features.

For TS5 Beta
    As far as I remember the competition was held in around March-April for the 100 beta testers with a few extra keys. I believe your beta testers are long gone by now because you didn't inform anybody when you can open the closed beta process.

I'd rather suggest you to open the closed beta applications again or just go with the thousands of interested participants who applied for beta testing way back in 2018 and active ts forum members who really care for this community to start with the closed beta testing project.

The Discord problem
    The only thing that becomes a hurdle for teamspeak in its success is the free servers provided by discord. I mean come on you can't just force people to shift from a free server app with global chat and shitloads of features that already exist on discord. You have to work beyond your paygrade to bring something extraordinary. I seriously think there was a time when Teamspeak would have taken other VOIP head on because of the superior interface.

Lets say you can make a superior interface than discord but how do you actually overcome the problem of a free server (no money required for hosting and no money required for slots)

People won't simply shift to teamspeak because of its superior interface they are going to waste their lifetime on discord because its just free and you can create a 100 different servers on it if you want.

The Global Chat
    The only thing i really found relevant other than a superior interface is the global chat. If your global chat is not server sided and its based on myteamspeak's dedicated server I believe it won't make a difference.

Compulsion makes a difference because the discord global chats are compulsory to join. If you join a server you join the server chat room no choice, you can disable the notifications if you want but if the global chats are not compulsory then I can bet a $1000 nobody is gonna use the feature at all despite being on teamspeak even in hundreds of number.

Plus I believe it makes the chat unstable as some servers might have issues contacting and updating the myTeamspeak server(latency as it will be based in US or Germany) every second which may create major issues in the future.

I have one thing to add for the TS5 and myTeamSpeak part.
    For the closed beta a account is required to use the whole client or else you only see a login page. This was decided recently.
    Possibly this will also be the case for the open beta.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

TeamSpeak private messages with Facebook

It's a very tricky one. Obviously TeamSpeak have gone beyond the original expectation date of release and then after the social media post went out and then the marketing team were told the date was wrong again, we've taken a very cautious approach to make sure we don't upset the situation anymore than we already have. The other difficulty is we're having to remain very quiet about TS5 and what it can do as we want it to be as big as a surprise as possible so then our competitors don't discover what we're attempting to do. Absolutely I agree with you that we should tell the community what's happening, but we have been told to remain quiet about TS5. What I can say however is it really isn't far away now (but I can't say when). 100% this year, but that's the only clue I can give.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    I have one thing to add for the TS5 and myTeamSpeak part.
    For the closed beta a account is required to use the whole client or else you only see a login page. This was decided recently.
    Possibly this will also be the case for the open beta.
    Nice, thanks for that. Thats actually what I was expecting how the beta will will work

@dante696

Do you have any feature planned for TeamSpeak (beta launch or even further down the road) that will surpass the competition rather than simply play catch-up with them?
    Last edited by Trunkz Jr; August 22nd, 2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunkz Jr View Post
    Really you deleted my question? So I’ll ask it once again maybe someone here can give the simple answer or can get one from someone at gamescom.

@dante696 @MrDariusAD

Do you have any feature planned for TeamSpeak (beta launch or even further down the road) that will surpass the competition rather than simply play catch-up with them?
    In the Facebook answer Dragon34 postet it seems they got something to "surprise" the competitors

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon34 View Post
    TeamSpeak private messages with Facebook
    "The other difficulty is we're having to remain very quiet about TS5 and what it can do as we want it to be as big as a surprise as possible so then our competitors don't discover what we're attempting to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Garamoth View Post
    I think your question got not deleted find it on page 9?

And in the Facebook answer Dragon34 postet it seems they got something to "surprise" the competitors

"The other difficulty is we're having to remain very quiet about TS5 and what it can do as we want it to be as big as a surprise as possible so then our competitors don't discover what we're attempting to do."
    Okay thanks, this gives a little more value that Teamspeak does have a plan that can actually bring some people back. Honestly when I'm recruiting for our community my only play to get people to use Teamspeak is that Discord is ran by many teens or power hungry admins (which is true to the many I check out or ppl that left discord to join us) and that it can be hard to find a good one while we've been around since 2003, there REALLY needs to be something to say Hey this is better than the competition because... so hopefully they have that solution.
    Last edited by Trunkz Jr; August 22nd, 2019 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunkz Jr View Post
    Okay thanks, this gives a little more value that Teamspeak does have a plan that can actually bring some people back. Honestly when I'm recruiting for our community my only play to get people to use Teamspeak is that Discord is ran by many teens or power hungry admins and that it can be hard to find a good one while we've been around since 2003, there REALLY needs to be something to say Hey this is better than the competition because... so hopefully they have that solution.
    Sadly know that feeling... nearly my whole community swapped to discord and there are not many pro ts arguments left...
    With the informations from the darius he got from gamescom i got little more hope...

hope the big load tests are successful and we see the new teamspeak "soon"
    and hope they got something to surpass discord

Quote Originally Posted by Garamoth View Post
    Sadly know that feeling... nearly my whole community swapped to discord and there are not many pro ts arguments left...
    With the informations from the darius he got from gamescom i got little more hope...

hope the big load tests are successful and we see the new teamspeak "soon"
    and hope they got something to surpass discord
    The problem I found with communities swapping to discord is that a big one that would normally have 100-200 in their voice channels on TeamSpeak only have 10-20 in their voice channels on discord it completely kills the voice area.

thatīs one of the major points we havenīt made the switch yet.
    But still - if they donīt provide a good all around experience for clans/communitys/contentcreators or do the same mistakes (chat heavy), it will be a sinking ship by release.

Thread Information