Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Lightbulb How to use TS behind a Router.

I am making this guide to help those in need of it.

Basically routers pretty much have the same BASICS .
    First you need to familarize yourself with the interface of your router. Nothing here is more imortant than this.

I need to define a few terms that are going to be used here.

First is LAN: Local Area Network.

Basically this is any PC behind a router. If you have four PC's (or 1 or 2 or 3 or even more than four PC's) this group of PC's that are connected to your router is your Local Area Network (LAN). Each will have its own LAN ip address which is a string of numbers such as this example: 192.168.1.100.

Next is WAN:Wide Area Network

In plain english this is the internet. The internet is the largest WAN on earth.

Last is Port Forwarding: I call it opening ports. But it really just redirects traffic in your router or firewall.

As I said before, Get to know your router interface. Most important thing you can do. You get to the interface by bringing up INTERNET EXPLORER!!!!. In the address bar type in the address for your router EXAMPLE! 192.168.1.1. And is also called the default gateway. You should now be promted for a user name and password. Dont be alarmed by this. All you have to do is call the customer service number in your manual to get this information. By default most of the time username is left blank and password is admin. Or vise versa.
    Now you want to look for Forwarding, or Port Forwarding it may even be Virtual Server, UPnP Port Forwarding or Port Range Forwarding. Any of these Should work....You may have to click on advanced setup to find this.
    Once you have the port number entered and made sure that it is set to UDP and or TCP. You have to froward the port to the right LAN ip. That means setting it to the LAN ip of the machine running the server program. If your LAN ip is (example) 192.168.1.101 then you would enter 192.168.1.101 into the ip box provided.

Once you find this you can enter the required ports that it takes to operate TS server behind a router. These ports are: 8767 UDP, 14534 TCP, 51234 TCP.

All you should have to open is UDP port 8767, the others should only be opened when REALLY necessary (possible security risk).

The page may have a bunch of boxes lined up in a rows and or colums, or have a single box. You may have to even name it. If so there will be a box provided to do so. You cant use the same name more than once either. So that means you will have to name each port something different from each other. Put what ever name you want here.

Sometimes you may even have to provide a port trigger. Normally this is the port that you are trying to open. So if you need a port trigger for port 8767 UDP. The trigger should be 8767. And such for any other port that you want to open.

Now for the WAN part of this. Your router will have a WAN address. Such as example: 12.178.135.153. This is the ip address(WAN address) that you want to give out to other people!! You can find this ip by going to the status page on router. If you cant find it. Call your customer service number in the manual for your router. Or call your Internet Service Provider. Or here http://www.whatismyip.com/

You can use your LAN ip to join your server that you are hosting on your PC. But to get other people on it you need to give them your WAN address.

This guide is for TS server. Not the Client!!
    Think of it this way.. the server is the meeting point of all the people that you want to talk to. The client is what you use to talk with...

EDITED by Guldi: Removed port 8768 TCP as 1) TS per default uses only 8767 UDP and 2) there is def. no need for a 8768 TCP port 3) added a security warning for opening the TCPQuery & webinterface port.
    Last edited by hTIG; December 31st, 2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Technical Errors and misspellings

m&m's Guest
    the server only need port 8767 udp for clients to connect and voice transmition

You guys always say that....

This finally worked for me....

All I have read from the support staff is...it's a router/port forwarding issue..consult your manual. You never mention forwarding 8768 tcp. That is all I needed to get my server to address the outside world. I read your FAQ, I read your posts. Why is this never mentioned. You have to forward more than 8767 UDP in some instances.

Please Remeber

Please remember that this is not gosphel by no means. I know from experince that just opening port 8767 UDP is not always going to work. I wrote this guide only to try to help people with simalar problems that I had. It is meant to get the wheels turning in ones head to try to figure out a solution to your specific problem. It was also meant to inspire self help with some clues to get there. Giving one an idea or a push in the right direction is better in my mind than trying to slam them.

m&m's Guest
    if 8767-8767 is not working in port fowarding in both lines . use 8767-8768 , some routers open the first port in a range and close the last so if there both the same it will not poen a port , but only a few do this

See my other post

None of the fix's i have read about in any of the forum work!

This was extremely helpfull . I ran TS on a lan just fine but when my friends wanted to join they couldn't connect . I am now up and running thanks to the information in this post .Thanks hTIG for taking the time to share your expertise with everyone . You saved me allot of time getting this figured out . Paul

Exclamation Team Speak Issue

I set up a server with forwarded ports being set etc. I had no issues setting it up, and can have outside and inside connections, however I do find that I receive 5-6 error messages before you can connect, outside or inside the LAN. After a handful of error messages I do end up connecting. This doesnt do well when gamers try to join for a game, they never know if it is up or not.

Troubleshooting has led me to believe it is not a router issue, as it is flatering inside the network and past the router both. I have been able to join other gamer's servers.

The server is hosted on a WinXP box, with the firewall off, no blackice or zone type of software at all. I am not aware of any other settings that would cause this....any thoughts?

The error message is either No reply, or connection failed. After the 5-6 times, sometimes up to 12-14 times, it will connect, and everything works fine.

My brother had a similar issue on a similar machine. Any thoughts or comments are welcome, even if they seem noob in nature. I did read the posts on behind router installation etc, however I believe this not to be a router issue at all.

Thanks!

Griphtor

m&m's Guest
    static lan ip ?

Hey i tried what the guide says but my TS server still doesn't work with my router running here is a screenshot of what comes up when im trying to open the ports:

http://www.qrfclan.com/qrfhosting/goldenhawk/router.bmp

Just click on the link and check it out.....Am i doing it right? and if so what else do i have to do?

Unhappy NetGear WGT624

hi there,

I had been using a LinkSYS router with no problem but just changed to a Net Gear WGT624 today. I can connect to my TS server via internal IP but external IP wouldn;t work. I have put in the port forwarding for 8767 and 8768, plus the other ports suggested in here... but that doesn't work.

I am kinda out of options as NetGear support is no help. Hopefully someone used this product can point me to the bright side.

thanks

Uh, i cant figure out where to go after the 8767 udp part.

I have a linksys router and after loging in to it, i clicked UPnP Forwarding. There are some spots fillet like FTP, Telnet, SMTP, etc. Near the end there are open boxes with Application, Ext.Port, bubbles for TCP or UDP, int.port, ip address (which has 198.168.1.[___] entry box), and an Enabled box.

What do i do from there??

WHICH IP to use...

This had me stumped for days...

I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, so forgive if this is a double post...

I configured my router, and my firewall to let folks through using 8767 UDP, but nothing seemed to work...

I had 2 IP's listed from the teamSpeak server icon in the task bar... One is supposedly the local and the other the net IP, but neither worked for outside traffic.

Then, I went to www.whatismyip.com and found a THIRD IP that wasn't listed in the teamspeak server dropdown... I gave this IP to my friend, and he connected without issue.

good luck.
    -J

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Griphtor
    I set up a server with forwarded ports being set etc. I had no issues setting it up, and can have outside and inside connections, however I do find that I receive 5-6 error messages before you can connect, outside or inside the LAN. After a handful of error messages I do end up connecting. This doesnt do well when gamers try to join for a game, they never know if it is up or not.

Troubleshooting has led me to believe it is not a router issue, as it is flatering inside the network and past the router both. I have been able to join other gamer's servers.

The server is hosted on a WinXP box, with the firewall off, no blackice or zone type of software at all. I am not aware of any other settings that would cause this....any thoughts?

The error message is either No reply, or connection failed. After the 5-6 times, sometimes up to 12-14 times, it will connect, and everything works fine.

My brother had a similar issue on a similar machine. Any thoughts or comments are welcome, even if they seem noob in nature. I did read the posts on behind router installation etc, however I believe this not to be a router issue at all.

Thanks!

Griphtor
    Quote Originally Posted by m&m's
    static lan ip ?

Yes, my lan IP is static.

Griphtor

Quote Originally Posted by n33d45p33d
    Hey i tried what the guide says but my TS server still doesn't work with my router running here is a screenshot of what comes up when im trying to open the ports:

http://www.qrfclan.com/qrfhosting/goldenhawk/router.bmp

Just click on the link and check it out.....Am i doing it right? and if so what else do i have to do?

First of all, you should update your router's firmware.

Next, set up port forwarding for 8767 on the Virtual Server page, not the Special apps page. Use 8767 for both public and private ports and the lan ip of the machine your server is running on in the private ip box.

I'm using a DI-604 also, and this works for me.

If you need the other ports forwarded, repeat the above with those port numbers. Hope this helps.

Thread Information