Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wubwub Guest

Noob linux server How-To.

(These steps were done on a Fedora Core 1 system)

After alot of trial and error, and many error messages I decided to write this very small tutorial.

Download the linux server file.

Create a user on your system (I made a user called tss). (This is done on most linux systems by typing the command (adduser nameofuser)
    After you create the user with that command type this command to set the password for that user (passwd username)(passwd works on "most" linux systems). You will then be prompted to enter the password for that user twice.

Put the downloaded server file in that users home directory. In linux when you create a user it makes a directory for that user under the /home directory. Therefor our users directory would be /home/tss. This is where we want to put the downloaded server file.

At this point, if you are logged in as root, or ANY OTHER USER other than the user you created who's home directory we will be putting files in, LOG OUT AND LOG IN AS THE USER YOU CREATED! I can't stress this enough. If you are logged in as any other user other than the user who's directory we are working in you will probably have permission problems! If you follow my instructions now you won't have to mess with any permission issues! I had tons of permission problems at this point by not being logged in as the user who's directory I was in and that caused all kinds of errors. I deleted everything and did it again in the order I am giving you and everything went smooth as glass.

Next we want to unzip/uncompress/expand (whatever you wanna call it) the file we downloaded and put in that directory with this command. {tar -kvf} Just type the command inside the {} not the {} themselves. (Once again, this command was done on a Fedora Core 1 system, so the command for your system may be different)

Ok, now we have a directory called tss2_rc2.

Now we want to look inside that directory so type {cd tss2_rc2} and then type {ls}.

You will see a file called teamspeak2-server_startscript

In order to start our server we need to type {./teamspeak2-server_startscript start} DONT FORGET THE ./ at the beggining of the command.

As im a semi noob myself, if you get any error messages at this point, please search these messageboards using the error message as your search text. I have no doubt you will find a solution to your problem.

At this point your server should have started and should be running.

Now, we need to know how to start setting things up. First thing we need to find out are the passwords for the superadmin and admin account.

If you look in the tss2_rc2 directory you will see a file named server.log

This is the file that contains the passwords for both the superadmin and admin accounts. I am using fedora core 1 and I use the text editor jpico to look at text files (you will have to figure out how to use a text editor to view the file on your own). So I issue the command {jpico server.log} and a window opens and I see a line in the middle that looks like......

blablablabla admin account info: username: admin password: rrr666

and another line

blablablabla superadmin account info: username: superadmin password: aaa999

(the passwords generated are completely random so don't assume a pattern from my examples)

Now you have the admin and superadmin passwords.

Now for the cool part. The TS server has its own built in mini webserver. In order to access it we need to type in http://yourservernameorIPhere.com:14534

This is when things get kind of weird.

You will see a page that asks for your login name and password. This is actually JUST THE ADMIN login page. So obviously the username is just {admin}. And the password is the password you already got from server.log for the user admin.

One quick note, and please pay attention. In order to login as the superadmin, you need to click a link UNDER the login information on the page we are on! The link says SuperAdmin login. This is where you login as the superadmin. You cannot login as superadmin from the regular "admin" page and you can't login as admin from the superadmin page, so don't forget that link on the admin login page. Its how you get to the page where you can login as superadmin. I should also note here that I had a problem. I don't remember if I was trying to login as admin or superadmin, but at one point trying to login it wouldn't accept the password I got from server.log, and I was copying and pasting from the server.log file, so I don't know if there is a bug in the program or if something else goofy was going on. Either way, if the password in server.log won't let you in, delete the tss2_rc2 directory and start over from the beginning. It doesn't take that long and it solved my problem. Just giving you real world advice from what I actually went through.

As a noob myself, my best guess is that the {admin} account controls one server and the {superadmin} account is used to create servers. Of course the superadmin can do anything the admin can do.

Ok last, if you look in the tss2_rc2 directory you will see 3 files that have been created since you started the server. server.db, server.ini, and server.log

server.log is the log file for the TS2 server. server.db is the databse file, and server.ini is the configuration file for the server.

Don't mess with server.db, mess with server.ini all you want (its pretty self explanatory) and server.log is just for information.

Ok, well thats the end of the tutorial. I had to spend about 3 hours digging on the web to get this knowledge so I figured I would put my experiences together so someone else could get a TS server up and running in a few minutes. Obviously this doesn't cover everything, but it should be good enough on most linux systems for you to have a TS server up and running and ready to configure and mess around with in 10 minutes.

Please post any suggestions you have, especially points where I wasn't clear!

Wubwub

P.S. Yep theres a bug in the password generator that gives you the password in the server.log file. I just did a fresh install, and the admin password listed in the server.log for the user admin isn't working. Delete tss2_rc2 directory and start over
    Last edited by Wubwub; July 13th, 2004 at 01:37 PM.

looks good so far. THX !

Little addendum: If your passwords do not work I do not have to delete the whole directory. Simply delet the three files .ini .log and .dbs and restart the server. This files with new passwords will be created.

In my opinion this thread deserves to be sticky.
    => MADE it Sticky !

Criminal#58369 Guest
    Thanks this post and this http://forum.goteamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=10064

helped me install teamspeak on redhat linux enterprise as 3

it works fine thx!

This post was a huge help as well as the other techinical issues posted here about setting up a server.

Thanks.

Great Post - 1 addition

Thanks for the great post. I only had 1 problem when installing TS RC2 on Fedora Core 1 and that was with decompression of the tarball. But that was quickly solved with the following command....

tar -jxvf ts2_server_rc2_20201.tar.bz2

Other than that, all worked fine. Thanks for your post.

LeRoco

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up! Like Criminal#58369, I combined this with the completronics tutorial and was glad for the walkthrough. I still have a few problems, and will address those in a separate post (if I can't find any answers already posted).

Just a couple words for those who have leased shared server space, rather than those who have leased a dedicated server, or are running their own server: You need SSH Shell Access enabled by your provider in order to work with Linux command-line operations. Not all DNS hosting services will give these rights to the person paying for the server space. You need to check with them first. I had to fax my provider a copy of a photo ID and a signed document requesting SSH activation.

While you CAN unzip the server .bz2 file locally and upload the tss2_rc2 folder through your FTP client, you CAN'T start the server up for the first time without the ability to perform Linux command-line operations. That means you have to have SSH enabled for your account. I didn't try Telnet, it might be possible using that service as well. This also needs to be enabled by your provider. Check with them to find out what is enabled, and what they allow.

If you are leasing space, then you no doubt have some bandwidth restrictions. Our server was hosted originally on a commercial TS/Ventrilo host. At 25 users, with an average of 15 (gabby) users online during peak hours, we use a little less than 5 GB of bi-directional throughput/month (using Speex 9.3 and 16.4 codecs). If you are shopping for shared server space, keep that in mind when you look at throughput limitation on the various plans offered by providers. If you have a clan website, with an active membership of 100 or so, forums, email, FTP, and a TS Server, you will probably want a pretty robust hosting plan. Ours has 20 GB of storage and 120 GB/month throughput.

Once again, thanks for the great walkthrough

Quote Originally Posted by guldi
    looks good so far. THX !

Little addendum: If your passwords do not work I do not have to delete the whole directory. Simply delet the three files .ini .log and .dbs and restart the server. This files with new passwords will be created.

In my opinion this thread deserves to be sticky.
    => MADE it Sticky !

You only need to remove the server.dbs file.

Ok, this is going to sound like the noobiest question in the world, but this is my first time even touching a Linux system. I opened the terminal, and attempt to access my home directory, but nothing ever shows up in the brackets. It always just says [[email protected] ~]$. How can I access localhost to be able to even run the command, because it won't let me right now?

superadmin cant login

ok ive tryed about 30 times to get new password for the superadmin still didnt work any of them im starting to fell kinda hopeles is there any other way to set the maximum ammount of users on server ?

There also needs to be a way to have an option to have Teamspeak added to the server startup. There is nothin in the files that I can see to tell it to start the server at any time with the user TSS that was created in the example.

Linux Knowledge

The reason he said make a new user, such as TSS...is because it offers an easy place to store the server files and also it's unwise to run stuff as root for security purposes.

On another note...I just wanted to let you know. If you get an error about user permissions...just chown your directory to the user you wish while logged in as root.

command: chown -R user.user /home/user

That's how you give ownership to all files in that directory to a specific user.

Thanks, Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by dnlstffrd
    Ok, this is going to sound like the noobiest question in the world, but this is my first time even touching a Linux system. I opened the terminal, and attempt to access my home directory, but nothing ever shows up in the brackets. It always just says [[email protected] ~]$. How can I access localhost to be able to even run the command, because it won't let me right now?
    Your prompt looks normal to me. It says your username is Daniel, the server is named '10' and you're currently in your home directory, designated tilde(~). You can get your absolute path with the command 'pwd' or print working directory.

ls to list the files in your current directory(ls -la for a long complete list)
    cd directoryname to change directory
    cd .. to change to the next directory up

Does this help?

z

This was a huge help. Thanks !!

I am frustrated I had to go through a registration process to post my one and only post here. But was pleased to see you guys using vb! It is nice to see you care about your community enough to give them the best for a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by leroco
    Thanks for the great post. I only had 1 problem when installing TS RC2 on Fedora Core 1 and that was with decompression of the tarball. But that was quickly solved with the following command....

tar -jxvf ts2_server_rc2_20201.tar.bz2

I use Core 2, and I would still be stuck if it weren't for this post!
    Thank you to the thread starter, and all the advice. This is the only thread anyone should need. Thanks!

Ok... I am a nOOb... and i will admit that. I cannot get access to my web-interface?

i have tried http://mydomainname.com:14534 and i get timed out?

I am leasing a website through my server... and I have telnet access... (had to scan in my driver's license) and I dunno what else to do?

Any Ideas????

Steve, The Stapler.

Thread Information