Forum

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    kwl! should it be used if...say u host a server and u and 10 friends go on it?

NVM that post /\
    l
    but the link for mysql doesn't work

I am having some trouble getting TS server to run as a service and use the MySQL database. Everything appears to be setup correctly as I can launch the server manualy and all works as it should. When the server is started using services it doesn't work correctly.

The server does start; however it does not read the MySQL database. I can connect but it is like connecting to a new server / not configured.

Versions / Parameters:
    Windows 2000 Server
    TS server 2.0.20.1
    MySQL 4.x
    database name "ts" (C:\mysql\data\ts)

I'm thinking this must be something silly I'm missing / forgot to do.

- Mike

Whats the advantage of using the MySQL database in concordance with TS?

I have been running a TS for about 5 months without mysql support

Hi,

I've done everything correct just having 1 problem where the server log says its unable to load libmysql.dll

***SORTED***
    Last edited by [email protected]; November 24th, 2005 at 02:28 AM.

I just wanted to clear up a few things for these "not so technical" users that have been inquiring...

SQLite merely places all of your data in a single file that must be locked and unlocked each time the 'database' is 'queried'. If you use the data that is stored in that 'database' often (ie. with webpost interaction or other custom functions) you may wish to consider a MySQL alternative. MySQL is a database technology that will help lift this "locking" restriction and make data access a little more smoother (less lag).

Someone claimed that MySQL is faster than SQLite. Though I would claim MySQL is definitely more efficient and powerful than SQLite, it all depends on how your teamspeak is used. If you don't make modifications regularly (ie. you don't change channel configurations/permissions often ... you don't have a lot of new registrations, etc) -- then a SQLite backend is slightly faster.

Anyway, my reason for posting here initially was to comment on using MySQL backend on a MySQL server 4 and higher. Which is what my company is using right now. I have followed a combination of suggestions --- and will discover if this method works VERY shortly. If it does, I will post back and let you all know what this method is. Unfortunately I cannot claim to have done any of the work other than putting it all together and making it easier to understand in a methodical post.

(I sure hope the next version has an XML backend - Imagine the possibilities!)

More to come...

/r

Sean
    aka "The Cryptowizard"

Long post, but worth the read (imo)

Alright, I finally got it to work. Basically everything that was said here is accurate so there is no need to repeat it. I will note a few things for you that may help (note that this is from my experience on a win2k3 server - linux may vary for some steps):

(1) Even though most server connections require "localhost" in their config, teamspeak config will tolerate 127.0.0.1 for some reason for me (not like that for all setups). If you are hosting your teamspeak on the same server as your website you can use your website control panel to create your database. Most people don't have command line access. If your teamspeak server is on a different server than where your website is, you can setup the database through your website control panel and ask your TS2 host to point the config to your database (by IP address). It should work, though I have not tested remote database linking.

(2) Download this utility from madcat that converts the DBS file into a raw sql file.
    http://forum.goteamspeak.com/attachm...tachmentid=572 . Once you've downloaded it, extract all the files into a directory (such as d:\ts2conversion\) and place the DBS file you'd like to convert into that folder. Open up a DOS shell, go to the directory, and type run. This will execute the run.bat file which in turn does a series of things that converts your dbs file into a sql file. Once this sql file is uploaded to your server you can use a variety of methods to import your data to the blank database. I had root access, so I just used MySQL-Front to run an SQL query from a file (the .sql file you just created). NOTE: That if you have data in your database before you run this query you may get a permission error. If this is the case, create a new/blank database and try running it again. **MANY** thanks to madcat for making this fairly simple yet life-saving utility. There aren't many of them around!

(3) Make sure the sqldir= section in the server.ini ends with a \ (ie. sqldir=mysql_sql\) If it does not then your server will not start up (just flash open then close real quick). The best way to check your log file --if it is not updating correctly-- is to delete the log file and have the app recreate it upon launch. Just make sure the foldername ends with a backslash.

(4) If at all possible, do not run your database under the root user. If you create a database through your webhost, the user will be specified by YOU when you setup the database (ie. through cpanel, helm, plesk, etc).

(5) If you are setting up the teamspeak server via remote admin (ie. terminal services) and you have admin access, create an additional user and add it to the Administrators group. Log on using this account (instead of your primary account) so you can "X out" the session (rather than logging off) which will leave it running. If you do it this way, you will not have to run TS2 as a service. When you reconnect with your account (I use 'TeamspeakAdmin') you will find yourself back in the session as you left it (even if you rebooted your computer in the meantime). Just make sure you follow the same process when you're done (ie. X out rather than log out). If you do not have the luxury of having root access and your server is a full server (not a virtual server off the main server) then ask your host to follow these steps so they don't have to install it as a service. If you're looking to run TS2 as a service, use a program such as FireDaemon.

If you're looking for a "Step by step" then follow Domination's instructions (but with my suggestions/notes). When you are making these changes, you will need to completely exit teamspeak (the entire server, not just YOUR instance that is running on a port) in order to edit the server.ini file. So if you have a virtual server branched off of someone else's server -- all of the servers will have to be shutdown while this change is made. I would highly recommend creating a folder called /backup and putting a copy of the dbs file and the server.ini file in it. If anything goes terribly wrong, at least you can dump a copy of those files back into the TS2 installation root folder.

I could go on and on about all of my experiences with this program ... but I'll spare you the details here and keep the post to the point.

I should have mentioned this earlier -- but I am a network security analyst with an amature programmer background (my specialty is focused on web languages, most specifically asp.net/vb.net). I'm a die hard gamer and haven't spent much of my time in the last couple of years "giving back to the community". Now I spend most of my time helping gamers with situations such as these and programming interfaces to game servers and mods for games. You'll probably see my face around here a lot more.

Anyone is more than welcome to PM me to ask for specific help. My specialty is on the windows side, but I do have experience across many platforms and languages.

I hope you find this information helpful.

/r

Sean
    aka "The Cryptowizard"

DOMINATION Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCryptowizard
    I just wanted to clear up a few things for these "not so technical" users that have been inquiring...

SQLite merely places all of your data in a single file that must be locked and unlocked each time the 'database' is 'queried'. If you use the data that is stored in that 'database' often (ie. with webpost interaction or other custom functions) you may wish to consider a MySQL alternative. MySQL is a database technology that will help lift this "locking" restriction and make data access a little more smoother (less lag).

Someone claimed that MySQL is faster than SQLite. Though I would claim MySQL is definitely more efficient and powerful than SQLite, it all depends on how your teamspeak is used. If you don't make modifications regularly (ie. you don't change channel configurations/permissions often ... you don't have a lot of new registrations, etc) -- then a SQLite backend is slightly faster.

Anyway, my reason for posting here initially was to comment on using MySQL backend on a MySQL server 4 and higher. Which is what my company is using right now. I have followed a combination of suggestions --- and will discover if this method works VERY shortly. If it does, I will post back and let you all know what this method is. Unfortunately I cannot claim to have done any of the work other than putting it all together and making it easier to understand in a methodical post.

(I sure hope the next version has an XML backend - Imagine the possibilities!)

More to come...

/r

Sean
    aka "The Cryptowizard"
    Sean,
    Make sure you use mysql 4.0.25 and not 4.1
    The library only supports that as of now with the interaction from the server.
    As far as making it easier, I have step by step by step (click here, type this) instructions. How much easier can u get?

Many people have tried these insctructions and have come out on top with a mysql database interface.

There are 100's of thank you emails from these people who have successfully setup with my instructions.

For those who have problems, they usually email/msn message me and I help them. Thats the people who usually decide to read the instructions only half way or leave out steps trying to save time.

Enjoy though.

DOMINATION Guest
    For 2, I should have mentioned this.....

If you are running a 1 server teamspeak from your home for your clan, you do not need mysql integration. Stick with the default sqlite.

If you are a server company (ATHP) then use mysql by all means. Faster, handle a larger load.

Take a look at amazon.com.....Pretty big site isnt it? Millions of hits a day with a huge load on the site and database. Wonder what type of database they are using.....what do ya know....MySQL!

Thats just goes to show you how much of a load mysql can actually handle.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - I wasn't stepping on your toes. But I think you'd agree with me that unless us geeks work together to iron out a solid process it would never get done.

I, myself, am not an ATHP - but I don't run my stuff from home either. I have a single server running, but for the sake of database integrity with plugins and such (and security) I chose to transform to a MySQL backend.

I managed to convert it all, but I am now having some troubles that I can't seem to pin-point. It seems that there is a record/field limitation in the database. Channel descriptions are getting truncated and users are having trouble registering (they register, then try to log in only to get 'bad username/password'). The only thing that looked out of place was there was no entry for a UID 4 or 5 in they key. It went from 3 to 6. Normal? I can't imagine it would be. From a programmers point of view, that would crush a loop. Any thoughts?

I created another thread entitled "MySQL Registration/Update Problems" that talks about some of the problems I am having with this setup. If possible, I would appreciate feedback from anyone knowledgeable on this subject.

DOMINATION Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCryptowizard
    Yeah, don't get me wrong - I wasn't stepping on your toes. But I think you'd agree with me that unless us geeks work together to iron out a solid process it would never get done.

I, myself, am not an ATHP - but I don't run my stuff from home either. I have a single server running, but for the sake of database integrity with plugins and such (and security) I chose to transform to a MySQL backend.

I managed to convert it all, but I am now having some troubles that I can't seem to pin-point. It seems that there is a record/field limitation in the database. Channel descriptions are getting truncated and users are having trouble registering (they register, then try to log in only to get 'bad username/password'). The only thing that looked out of place was there was no entry for a UID 4 or 5 in they key. It went from 3 to 6. Normal? I can't imagine it would be. From a programmers point of view, that would crush a loop. Any thoughts?
    Does your serverlog put out any errors when initialising or does it all start up correctly? Also, I have another idea to test your mysql if you are still having this problem. Send me a PM or email me at [email protected] with yoru contact info. Lets get your prob taken care of.

cant get into web administration

Hi i have a problem, i cant get into web administration and others cant get into my server, i can enter it. Tried your testing service and it said that everything should be working. Maybe its because ja used newer version of mysql, cause the links you provide aint working.
    OK waiting for some assistence

I'm having problems whit it, it cant see the libmySQL.dll evendo its in the right folder, and i have falowd the instruction's.
    Edit.
    O it cant load the fille, my mistake, but still i falowd the instructions and i get noting.

Unhappy Teamspeak sever (help)

Got it to work.. ;D

Thank you!
    Last edited by Flush; March 13th, 2006 at 05:45 PM.

Thread Information