Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Thread: Whither TS3?

Lightbulb Whither TS3?

I started using TS2 about a year and a half ago, and at that time, TS3 was supposed to be out in about 6-9 months. I soon found out that TS3 had been about 6-9 months away for two years already, and even today that is the rough time frame that seems to be being hinted at.

In the most recent developer blog, they mention that they just finished "completely rewrit[ing] the protocol structure deep down in the TeamSpeak 3 core". Why are they doing that? I understand it makes things more efficient, and probably allows a host of cool new things. But how about shipping a product and saving *something* for TS3.1

I'm seeing a lot of parallels between TS3 development and Duke Nukem Forever development. (No, I'm not trying to be funny or belligerent, it's just an example many will be familiar with.) Both groups have taken FAR longer than anyone's wildest (original) expectations to get their product out. Why? My suspicion is that it's because neither has a locked-down feature set. When they think of something else to add or improve, they scrap large chunks (or all) of what they've got so far so they can add new features. New features are great, but at some point, things MUST be left out to be able to get something out the door. That doesn't mean abandoning those features. It just means pushing them back into a later release.

All that said, I love TeamSpeak, and I have no doubt the developers are working very hard to make the best product they know how to make for TS3. But I'd like to throw the idea out there that any new features that haven't already been planned for TS3 go into a later version of the application so users actually get some benefit from all that work sooner rather than later. Or much later.

ps - I don't want this to turn into a flame fest over the TS3 release schedule. So please post if you have something constructive to add, but spare us all the rants that too often pollute similar threads. Thanks.

BHKai is offline -= Undercover TeamSpeak Fanatic =-

Thread Information